Odyssey Japan Stroke Lab i putter!

nobmontana

While I was in Japan this past Summer, my 14 year old daughter who plays high school golf wanted to play golf with her Grandfather (my  in-law) while in Japan and so we went to pick up a driver and a putter from a used golf shop in Sagamihara.   ( the rest of the set were borrowed from Mother in law's old no-name set )    

We ended up getting her a Yamaha Femina ladies driver in purple!   and also an first gen Japan only Odyssey Stroke Lab 1W putter in 33".  

The first generation "Stroke Lab" series was a Japan only putter which featured a cast stainless steel head with an internal cavity for enhanced perimeter weighting to add forgiveness in the head itself.   A non insert face to provide a firmer more direct metallic feel at impact.   Also a heavier head (+10g) , lighter shaft (-29g) , and heavier grip (+21g)  which overall maximizes the MOI of the putter resulting in better tempo and reduces the opening and shutting of the putter face. 

Being the head of golf club procurement in my family (LOL!!)  Obviously I had done extensive testing on this putter in the shop before deciding to purchase it for my teenage daughter.    I really liked the shape of the 1W which has a slant neck on a blade!!   Needless to say, by the time we got back from our trip I was already researching on the 2nd generation Stroke Lab i  which is the new and improved version featuring the micro hinge insert used in their O-Works putters.   And thank goodness they still made the 1W shape in this 2nd gen Stroke Lab!! 

After a couple of mediocre experiments with some nicer USDM putters recently, I finally got my hands on a Stroke Lab i 1W in 34" .  

Putting it for several hours this week on carpet,  I am already getting some good vibes from this putter.    The slant neck blade is currently my favorite shape along side my Benock.   While the Benock Blue Dragon II requires full undivided attention to nail the sweet spot for proper action, the Stroke Lab i putter provides forgiveness on off-center strikes. It's much easier to get the ball on the intended line.   So far so good.    Not a big fan of the stepped shaft on the Stroke Lab but since it is a special ultra light shaft,  I may have to do additional research to see of I can even find a replacement stepless shaft.   I'm putting this new putter in play this weekend to see if I am going to keep it or not.   I believe they also have a weight tuning kit sold in Japan which I may pick up to play around with the balance a bit.  Odyssey makes good stuff! 

P1150351.thumb.JPG.5a095de5695813d7893c7e6eacc528ea.JPGP1150353.thumb.JPG.c293030dce1bd4f392a0d3b4b750d142.JPGP1150354.thumb.JPG.79be194bf2146c3443f3d1d078c19593.JPGP1150355.thumb.JPG.49f23f1ac33a45a588b395004146caec.JPGP1150350.thumb.JPG.351398b10871d8302110a33b73f64f83.JPG

Edited by nobmontana

Bro,

I am/was a die-hard SC putter golfer, out of blue last week when I was oversea, I tried your model line in 2M CH, man, I was sinking 90% of my putts in 2.5m so I bought it.

I am already in search for a second in fear I won’t be able to get them again.

It sure is a “bang for your bucks” JDM deal for me.

Good to know you have the same experience.

That is awesome!!  I've always tried new offerings from Odyssey with their "new" concepts  and this Japan only Stroke Lab seems like it's a step ahead from a design analysis/concept perspective compared to their global offerings.   I normally swap out the stock tapered rubber grips to a taperless grip but this pistol grip somehow works pretty well.  ( so far anyway.. ? )   I personally like the micro-hinge insert very much..... the forward roll it generates immediately after contact is pretty amazing.      The new inserts that they have with the EXO series is not very good feeling in my personal opinion. 

Oh dang. Now I got this in my head. 

Thanks for your review Nobs

https://www.odysseygolf.jp/putter/stroke_lab_i/stroke_lab_i_5.html

The #5 mid mallet would be right up your alley!    

Correct.  this is a Japan Only series and all the models are available here:   https://www.tourspecgolf.com/odyssey-stroke-lab-i-putter.html

I honestly think these are better than O-Works.    

played my Odyssey yesterday... unfortunately  horrible green conditions after a wind storm on Friday to put it under a real test.    distance control was really good even on longer putts but I need a bit more time to know the timing on how the face returns to square. 

I think the Benock is slightly quicker at shutting its face in my stroke.   Odyssey has a more calmer/slower face rotation.   Toe hang is less on the Odyssey as well.   Placing the ball slightly forward in my stance should take care of it.   I think the Micro hinge White Hot face insert may possibly be the best that Odyssey has produced from a immmediate forward roll perspective.   Not seeing any skidding or hopping after impact.    I do personally prefer a slightly more solid touch,  but I can get used to this softer feel.   

Will keep this in my main bag for now.  Will update after getting some rounds in better conditions. 

what happened to the pics? i'm  seriously considering one after seeing this post

47 minutes ago, gregoire56 said:

what happened to the pics? i'm  seriously considering one after seeing this post

It’s on Inventory clearance now. 

37 minutes ago, nobmontana said:

Pics are still there.   

ah they must just be messed up on my computer

4 minutes ago, cuistot said:

It’s on Inventory clearance now. 

saw that, even more enticing now.. also considering an Astro VIII driver or MA01F 3w, hmmm

Astro V III is a good looking driver for sure.  I need to try it too.   But the MA01F is a winner as well.   Love the sleek compact profile but is also forgiving thanks to the very shallow face!!    I recommend the 14 deg over the 16.5 since the 14 deg is the only model which is constructed with a cup face.   I also had the 19 deg 5 wood for a bit but it did not feel as hot as the 14 deg. 

If you are looking for a 3 wood,  the Jbeam GFW is another great option.  I use both the JBeam GFW 13 deg and Modart MA01F 14 deg  and love them both.   the 13 deg GFW launches higher probably because of the Ti construction having lower CG.   The Modart MA01F is definitely a more piercing trajectory.   I really love them both.