New shaft from Real Sports (Grandista)

nobmontana

Just saw a YouTube video of a new shaft called “Showtime” by Yoshida-san of Grandista.   

A sub 50g shaft designed to mimic the effects of a whip ( like the one used to tame circus animals ). 

Two models available for different swing tempos.   Slow = 1.0 and Fast= 2.0 

both models feature a stable mid section with a more active butt section as well as tip section.   sounds like a double kick shaft from the description.    

Graphics are very understated with tip and butt sections only clear coated to expose the carbon fiber patterns the mid section is black with a subtle matte grey logo/lettering.    I kind of like it!! 

Very tempted to give it a whirl but I’m also very hesitant of breaking up my current RSD / Diamond Speeder combo which is working so well for me.    

Perhaps I need to get another RSD head so I can try this shaft!!  

Would appreciate more info on this shaft, Chris!! 

I like people that try nwe things like this - it is the only way to innovate. For me, and the type of golfer I am, I don’t think it will work though. I always have a hard time with shafts that have an overly active tip. I hit draws as my standard ball, and that will likely work well with this shaft. I also want to hit cuts from time to time and to hit high balls in some conditions and low balls in other. I want to do that without changing clubs/shafts and that is quite easy with tip-stiff shafts.

I imagine that it will be very tough to hit a low cut at will with this shaft but will love to hear the review (if there will be one).

I’ve tried flexy “magic” distance shafts in the past as well and they do typically go higher .   I don’t create a lot of lag in my downswing and so I need a shaft with softer butt section so the shaft helps create lag for me.  Most active tip shafts have a butt section that is too stiff for me.  So I too normally use Diamana White type tip stiff shafts.   I’m not good enough to hit high and low shots but I do hit cuts occasionally with draws being my normal shape.   In the video,  Yoshida san explains the tip section is not overly active but the whole lower section returns quickly like a “whip”  suggesting a stable tip section.    My worry on this shaft is more about the mention of using tungsen powder on the butt end to make it slightly counterbalanced and together with the lighter weight  hints a shaft to be used at longer lengths like 46”+   which I do not prefer.   After all, he was a long drive champ previously and used to using a 48” driver!!!

Here is another blog which might be Google translatable. 

https://ameblo.jp/golfstageseijyo/entry-12423359608.html

They say type 1 is for slower tempo who has a tendency to slice the ball....  

I don't necessarily have a fast tempo  but I'm also not a slicer...  Hmmmm.....  

They do say that the shaft helps create more lag... which is what I absolutely need. 

we'll have to get the full description for better fitting data, 

What's encouraging though is that Yoshida-san who hits it 350 yards in this video uses the type 2 ... he says he normally uses a 70g range XX  flex.     Even though this shaft is 40g range,  he can still give it a full swing without overpowering the shaft. 

Edited by nobmontana

From what I have been able to gather through past readings and his lesson videos,  Yoshida-san is a very technical guy who strongly believes equipment and technology can help golfers achieve better results in their game based on his experience as a teaching professional.   And based on my experience with Grandsita products, it's safe to say that he really knows what he is doing!!