2019 Callaway Japan - Epic Flash?!?

EaglesGolf99

Any news on the Callaway Japan 2019 Driver Releases? Epic Flash?

Have heard very little, but I do know Epic Flash will be a Japan release as well. And there IS a glued head Driver! 

Ultimately looking for details on the Glued Head Driver!

THANK YOU!!

Looks like there is a Epic Flash Star model registered in the R and A site.    could be a Japan model.   I guess I’m not expecting a Forged model since they skipped the forged model on the Rogue.   

Sweet.

Is there a picture up? .... What kind of weight setup? Back track? Face MWT?

Just hoping it's not draw biased. 

https://www.randa.org/RulesEquipment/Equipment/Equipment-Explorer/Results?type=driver&id=995831

I believe the "Star" models in general are similar to the normal version but just without the adjustable hosel. 

My understanding is that the normal models as well as the start models are all slightly draw biased with internal weights. 

Sub Zero models tend to be less draw biased is how I would look at it. 

Trend nowadays is to give it draw internal bias but give the face a slightly opened face.   Similar to what Grandista RS-D is doing as well as PRGR.   

That Star looks great!

And what I meant by draw biased was external. If you look at the Forged, external weighting is slightly draw biased (no toe weighting). If you look at the Rogue Star it is heavily draw biased (no toe, no center weighting).

The Epic Flash Star will be the first, since the original Epic Star, that will allow for weighting on the toe. The original Epic Star had great promise but the feel and sound we're horrid. That is why I chose the Forged. Feel and sound couldn't be more different. Here's hoping the Epic Flash Star feels and sounds like the Forged!

I think the only way that they could make the driver feel as good as the Epic Forged ( which I have tried )  is to use the same SP700 face material and all Ti construction.   But I understand that SP700 is no longer an available material as the SP700 manufacturer stopped making them.  Very bad news for SP700 fans like me!!!  ?   

we can expect news on several new drivers this week - PXG has just released info on their new offerings which have surprisingly gone down in price..... and TM releases their next generation M5 and 6 tomorrow..... and then we have Callaway also. These are all USA-based  of course.

10 hours ago, nobmontana said:

I think the only way that they could make the driver feel as good as the Epic Forged ( which I have tried )  is to use the same SP700 face material and all Ti construction.   But I understand that SP700 is no longer an available material as the SP700 manufacturer stopped making them.  Very bad news for SP700 fans like me!!!  ?   

Not music to my ears! ... Here's holding out that the feel is at least improved. 

Epic Forged felt so good!  I want more of that!  

When in Japan this year visiting material suppliers I will get more scoop on SP700.

I was told it was toast from a very reliable factory last year and ran with their word.

I hope I was wrong but we will see.

SP700 has won me over with DAT55G a close second.

just in case you want to see what Callaway are now releasing in the western world....

https://mygolfspy.com/2019-callaway-epic-flash-epic-flash-subzero-driver/

Epic Flash Star no draw bias.

... early indications though, are it doesn't feel good!

both the new TM and Callaway picking up mixed reviews so far on the main websites that are considered the better testers. And most saying the extra money to upgrade on the previous models would be a tough decision. As always, it's a totally subjective thing.  Meanwhile, Callaway has really released the flood gates on new stuff - 3 updated balls, newer irons plus the Epic 'woods'.  

Are we really expecting noticeable gains from any new driver?

They are all pretty good.  TM, Cally, Ping all the others...  

I could care less if any driver has a few more mph ball speed in the real world.   Still gotta hit it well with the right combo to get your best distance.

Golf is like Watches... You can tell time with a Timex just as good as you can with a Rolex or AP.  It's about getting what you want,  enjoying it, the quality, feeling good and standing out.   

Things in the real are maxed out despite anyone who says otherwise.  

Agree completely - and consumers are getting a bit pissed off with the great, new thing that is unveiled every year and does very little different to the driver they paid $500 for just a few months earlier.  All these new tweaks they shout about - little has changed in the past 5 years according to my testing of the Callaway and TM offerings.  Even the wonderland of PXG hasn't been able to shift the needle much when it comes to drivers.  Until a company can produce a driver that feels great (subjective of course) - sounds good - and doesn't hook or slice the ball....we will just have to put up with the bulls**t bling.  Is such a driver even possible ??  And is that taking too much skill out of the game ?  In 50 years people will probably be playing most of the golf on indoor simulators and big hooks or slices will not lose your 'ball' anyway.   

Or once people accept it's all fuzz they can buy drivers for their own enjoyment with fewer expectations.

I wish more equipment enthusiasts would collect grails.

I looked but I couldn't find the information but did anyone hit the US Epic vs the JDM Epic and compare results?  I've read that the forged JDM feels amazing vs it's US counterpart but haven't seen any data comparing the 2.  Thanks!