DRIVING IRONS:

supo

I love A DI, always got at least one floating about in a bag .

18/22*  is my thing,  higher than that I prefer a 4 iron.

ive had so many over the years, a few have really stuck out  but srixon , honma  have been my  go too's  for the last few years.

I have however expanded a cpl  with non traditional DIs.

I found a 3 iron fromm a set of PRGR speed irons that can only be said  to be as close to eye candy as one cud imagine... os I had to have it

NS SP orange stiff shaft and off to the races sat.

As close to zero offset as you cud get. BLOWS traditional Di out of the water on this front , which means  I can get WAY funkier with it,  hitting cuts and draws are miles easier.

I did notice I gave up a cpl of yards. but it was  pretty moot really for the versatility it offered.

from the tee it was an utter pleasure to hit ,feel is so soft its like hitting air. workability is unmatched,, mighbe a god or bad thing depending on your taste... but I love it.  from e deck in mid winter it was good... a bit larger than ud prob like to hit, a 3 iron is a lot more amenable than this , but in summer with a nice soft lie oh man this will come alive!!!!!!!!

will prob make best use of this back home on a cpl of tricky holes where a di is essential and the  ute   is  a bit long.

salivating at the thought when the  days get a bit warmer....

heres a cpl  I  have sworn by  over the years ....

20190107_104825.jpg

20190107_104554.jpg

20180911_100541.thumb.jpg.528f16455e3dc66dafc599a39e3afe9b.jpg

20180719_092932.thumb.jpg.4bfca1c01968e863210300e5187f9665.jpg

Edited by supo

Great looking DIs!!   I have tried using DIs in my setup many many times.  

But anything less than 22 deg ... I just seem to do better with UTs.   

Also, I don't get along too well with the feel and sound of DIs that are typically constructed with maraging steel faces.  

One piece carbon steel forged Pocket Cavity with minimal offset in 17 or 18 deg would be a fun fun toy for hitting tee shots on really windy days!     

Have tried MANY, loved only a few. Both the original A-Grind and the CMB have stayed in my bag. Wonderful feel, BIG distance. Other than those, the original Callaway Proto with the screw in the bottom -- which still influences the design of most models that come out -- was the best for me to get the ball up off the turf. 

I have had a few too. Honma Di as pictured by Stew stayed in the longest. But too shallow and too much offset. Might get a T-MB as it looks the best by a country mile. Or just stick my Callaway BB 1-iron in the bag again. It is so long. Aweful looks, aweful sound but so long and so easy to hit off a tee or off the deck. Cuts and draws are also easy to hit. But a 2 T-MB would look better.

that 2  tmb I have pitured is quite offset... but my gawwwwwwwd does it feel good, long as well, makes an easy fairway shot, prob the easiest of them all.

I had the newer honma di but it was a shovel to my eye, very nice feel again,. and workable as it was smaller, but its looks got the better of me and I ousted it  not long after I got it. beautiful to look at / hold, but I t just didn't get me....

the new srixon , not sure of its model name looks VERY nice.. that will get a round or so this season im sure!

Epon 901..! 

Just saying...

Speaking of Epon,  I currently use a 4 & 5 Epon AF505 as part of my iron set and while feel is not as good as the rest of my SUS316 irons,  it is the most forgiving one piece forged 4 Iron (22deg) that I have had.   If they made a AF505 3 iron  in 19 deg,   That could be my DI.   The feel is much better than any multi material DI in my opinion.   

15 hours ago, Leffe said:

Epon 901..! 

Just saying...

+1. If I go back to Di's then I'll get another 1, or 2, or 3!