Thinking about wedges

Dr.Shankenstein

I continue to have the itch to change up my bag a bit. I will be playing a different set of irons for me this year and wanting to add some wedges to the bottom of my bag. I like my 52 & 58 set up and have been working (and continue to work) on getting comfortable with different shots with each. My stock swing for the middle of my bag is sweeper/ picker, but for wedges (<115 yds) I am playing around with different AoA, face manipulations, and backswings. I take full shots with my 52, but not so much with the 58. Living here in the PNW, conditions vary quite a bit, especially season to season. One could potentially have a full arsenal of wedges to match the conditions of the course. However I am looking for versatility.

Currently I have been playing the Vokey SM5 52-12 F grind and the SM5 58-08 M grind. By perusing this site, I can find something comparable to the F grind pretty easily. My question is what is out there in the JDM world that is comparable to the M grind?

Fill my mind with your knowledge.

One thing that you'll need to be mindful of is that some of the more "forgiving"  wedges sold in Japan may have some offset as Japanese players don't seem to mind having offset in wedges.   Jumbo Ozaki played the Masda M425 wedges for a long time and those have a lot of offset and interestingly enough, they came out with a straight neck model earlier last year but the "gooseneck"   version still seems to be the more popular style sold in Japan. 

Out of the many that I have seen and tried,   I currently like the Seven STs the most.  Shape, turf interaction and feel are excellent along with beautiful finish.    I'm actually thinking about getting a satin chrome set to replace some Seven AGs.    Our friend Cuistot loves his set!!    

The Miura S-01s that I am using currently are working well in our local conditions both dry and wet.   After almost two full seasons in play.  the face is starting to rust and copper plating is starting to show on the sole.   I have their "Tour Grind"  on them        

A Grind, Orion and Fourteen also have my interest at the moment.     Although the funky name, I am reading good things about Razzle Dazzle wedges as well.   

Perhaps we need to get together soon for a wedge shootout and help you decide. 

Edited by nobmontana

Forgot to mention SDJ Proto 115 wedges are also excellent if you don't mind a straighter leading edge.  

Nobsan, how different are the ST leading edges from the 115’s? I have 50/56 in the 115 and they are beautiful and the feel is awesome. I think I want the ST’s though as they make me think of my all time favorite wedges - the RC 6150. But I really don’t like the rounded leading edge (camber?) of some wedges. Based on this - do you think the ST’s will be right up my alley? Oh, they need to be small too, like the 115’s. 

5 hours ago, nobmontana said:

One thing that you'll need to be mindful of is that some of the more "forgiving"  wedges sold in Japan may have some offset as Japanese players don't seem to mind having offset in wedges.   Jumbo Ozaki played the Masda M425 wedges for a long time and those have a lot of offset and interestingly enough, they came out with a straight neck model earlier last year but the "gooseneck"   version still seems to be the more popular style sold in Japan. 

Out of the many that I have seen and tried,   I currently like the Seven STs the most.  Shape, turf interaction and feel are excellent along with beautiful finish.    I'm actually thinking about getting a satin chrome set to replace some Seven AGs.    Our friend Cuistot loves his set!!    

The Miura S-01s that I am using currently are working well in our local conditions both dry and wet.   After almost two full seasons in play.  the face is starting to rust and copper plating is starting to show on the sole.   I have their "Tour Grind"  on them        

A Grind, Orion and Fourteen also have my interest at the moment.     Although the funky name, I am reading good things about Razzle Dazzle wedges as well.   

Perhaps we need to get together soon for a wedge shootout and help you decide. 

Drew, I got a lot of wedges for you to try lets do this. To your M grind Fourteen has it and I think the PRGR nabla might too. 

wedges.jpg

1 hour ago, cuistot said:

Drew, I got a lot of wedges for you to try lets do this. To your M grind Fourteen has it and I think the PRGR nabla might too. 

wedges.jpg

I knew you had wedges, but this is amazing. Let's get together with Nobmontana and do a wedge shootout. I bet Chris might have a set or two laying around too.

16 hours ago, supo said:

my heaven

Yeah suposan been following your wedge preferences for some time. Got the wrong RC unfortunately and wile still scouring the net for LED the Bold and the Mauri they are too pricey still.