Crazy STP Iron Shafts: 85 vs Tour 95 vs Proto 100

kcs217

I’m set on picking up a set of Crazy STP Iron Shafts, but not sure which weight/stiffness Model... I’m hesitant on the 85 because that’s just a tad too light and causes issues with shaft weight in my wedges.

With that being said, I know that the Crazy STP Iron Shafts have been described as overly-Stiff and some even call them boardy, nevertheless I am intrigued .

Many comments/reviews have been that the  Proto 100 is too stiff, but what about the Tour 95? Am I missing something?

i know that the 85 is S Flex  and that the Proto 100 is SX Flex, but where does the Tour 95 fall in there? I currently play Nippon Modus 130 Stiff & Nippon Super Peening Blue Stiff with no problems (although I probably should have soft stepped 1x)... Would the Tour 95 and/or Proto 100 be too stiff? 

Lastly, would it be wise to mix the shafts, I.e., STP 85 -3, 4, 5);  STP Tour 95 (6,7,8); & 100 Proto (9 & PW), sort of like MCI black or true Temper AMT? That way it could blend seamlessly with STP Wedge 120... Any guidance would be appreciated

I can only speak for the Proto 100 and 85 Iron .   

For reference I currently use Modus 125 S  or Modus 120 X as my go to shafts.  

The 100 Protos were indeed a bit stout feeling and I really could not load the shaft enough. 

Having said that, they were the straightest hitting shaft I haver ever had.   Due to the stout feel of the shaft,  even if you had super soft feeling carbon steel forged heads,  all you feel is the shaft.     To that point,  I have yet to discover any carbon shaft that would feel as good as heavier Modus steel shafts.   So beware of the feel difference. 

Now 85 irons are much more feasible with decent feel and I can load the shaft.    I replaced my Crazy Black UT shafts with the STP 85 Iron shafts.    They are so stable and it still transmits the good feel off the head.   I have a Romaro Type R UT 18deg and Modart MA01H 19deg both with this shaft and they are both excellent.   

Idea of progressive weight flow is definitely interesting but check with Crazy if this is even doable.

I've used the MCI Black 100S and they were really good feeling and made the long irons really forgiving .. 

Not sure about the TOUR 95 unfortunately.  

I hit the 100s in a  trial  range session yonks ago.

iloved them

found them very taught  and extrelenly lively in a strange way.....

as nobs said head was totally negated by the shaft , things  vibrated like a pitch fork. I liked that feeling but left the head totally mute.

id game them in a heartbeat    but for the fact u need o sell a kidney to get a set.... but id prob soft step them  (if possible these days. ) 

there is  no  point  for me , they cant out perform the  NS sp orange/blue/130s  and 125s I have in play already..... ive tried every carbon set of shafts imaginable and nothing  beats steel  so ive given up.

oh sorry one set has but that's another story completely............

6 hours ago, supo said:

I hit the 100s in a  trial  range session yonks ago.

iloved them

found them very taught  and extrelenly lively in a strange way.....

as nobs said head was totally negated by the shaft , things  vibrated like a pitch fork. I liked that feeling but left the head totally mute.

id game them in a heartbeat    but for the fact u need o sell a kidney to get a set.... but id prob soft step them  (if possible these days. ) 

there is  no  point  for me , they cant out perform the  NS sp orange/blue/130s  and 125s I have in play already..... ive tried every carbon set of shafts imaginable and nothing  beats steel  so ive given up.

oh sorry one set has but that's another story completely............

7D?

Fubuki 

getting good reports about the new True Temper ELEVATE Tour

Thanks... the info was indeed useful, but I am also wondering what shaft supo is referring to... Im in the process of experimenting with different shafts, but the Modus 130 are definitely the go-to gamers... I’d be interested to know what the actual difference is between Nippon SPB & Modus 125... They sound comparable with SPB possibly lower launch

SPB are older models that have near identical step pattern to the Dynamic Golds and indeed lower launch   Modus 125 are mid launch with mid to low spin.  They are lower launch than 130s.     130s feel more stout.   125 are pretty smooth feeling if weight is not an issue.