A Good Saturday!!

nobmontana

Played 18 with fellow TSGers Cuistot and Dr. Shankenstein in great weather here in the Seattle area. 

The course , Willows Run in Redmond, WA was actually in great shape with pretty fast and firm greens which really gave us a good challenge around and on the greens.    A lot of chit chatting JDM equipment and trying each others' clubs!!  so much fun!    We're gonna try and get out to Chambers Bay this season hopefully in May or so....  anyone want to join us?   ?

After I got home the driver heads I picked up recently from the Bay had arrived.   An older Yammy V203 Tourmodel 9deg and Mizzy MP Craft '14.             I have experience with both heads in the past but just wanted something to play around with extra shafts sitting in my office. So I shafted the Yammy V203 with a Miyazaki Kaula Mizore 6X  and the Mizzy MP Craft '14 with a Miyazaki Kula Kori 6S.   The weather was so nice I had to go hit more balls! 

1. 2013 Yamaha V203 9 deg / Miyazaki Kaula Mizore 6X 
  2. 2014 Mizuno MP Craft 9.5 deg / Miyazaki Kaula Kori 6S 
  3. Grandista RS-D 9 deg / Diamond Speeder 5X 
  4. Epon AF-153 9.5 deg / Diamana W 60S
  5. Ping G20 9.5 deg / Fujikura ATMOS Tourspec Black 5TX 

So the longest drive came from the oldest driver of the bunch.   The G20!   Wow!  this thing doesn't know how to quit!  294 yards is the longest ever  I recorded on the Top Tracer thingy ....  I normally hover around 260 and occasionally 270.    

Second longest came from the Yamaha ... I am guessing the smaller 430 cc is helping with the swing speed.  This head also rewards you with the sweetest feel off the face.   

3rd longest was the Grandista .. this combo with the Diamond Speeder is very consistently long.   SP700 goodness at impact. 

Close 4th and 5th goes to the Mizuno and the Epon... they were about the same.    Perhaps the softer flex of the shaft is increasing the spin a bit. 

I know that these two heads are not low spin to begin with.  They have more spin for more workability and control.  So I wasn't expecting much in terms of distance.    Sure enough,  I was most consistent with these two drivers.  

I have another driver on the way ...  Mizuno GX driver...   Based on my research, the GX may be one of the lowest spinning heads from the JDM Mizuno lineup .    Mizuno's USDM models like the JPX and ST have been low spin all along.  The ST190 I tried earlier this week was really impressive. 

GX vs G20 which one will win?     Actually, there is one more driver I really want to try this season and it's the Epon AF-155iZ (US Spec).    A bit pricey but I'm gonna try to get one soon.    

Fun stuff!   

IMG_2010.thumb.jpg.8b7a0f94477cdd23c047af1f5d9584fb.jpg

IMG_2009.thumb.jpg.d2744b814ec713e0b79d61a5a3b77179.jpg

Edited by nobmontana

nos surprise on yam, hit  my buddies yammyd4.6  gd pt7s yesterday , blew  away my  jbeam435 for feel / sound.

fantastic head. 

need to get another  and  rebuild it .they used to make such good stuff.

For this round of driver picking,  I’m gonna try to pursue the complete package.   With easier access to measurement equipment,   I think I will be able to better nail down “The One”. ?.    

My G20 5 wood with Oban Devotion 85X keeps one spot in my bag forever. 

Im actually looking for some good condition G20 3 wood and Oban shaft to hope to build out a similar monster. 

I always love Epon driver’s feeling, but I never gain any distance with any model. Both 105 and 155i are so good for finding the fairway, but my Ryoma or Modart really crushed them by 20 yards easily. 

From what I read,  155iZ US Spec is more forward CG and supposedly much lower spinning.  

epon 101 is the only.epon i ever liked .

distance with that is spit on with most others and its workable. not a bomber but i love its shape..sound more than anything else.

i dont get the big oh wow drives with them  as a rule but they  never misses a beat  for.consistency and thinking of a shape and being able.to hit it with ease.

that yammy and epon 101are most prob my 2  fave sounding feeling heads of them all.

Rick Shiels did a Ping 5 yr comparo last year and while G400 LST was longest,  G20 was the next longest by a close margin and left the G25, G30 and G drivers in the dust!!   they did something right in the G20.   G20 was the lowest spinning of the bunch in that video. 

Man, wish I could join you guys @ CB.  Played there once just when it opened and loved it.  If any TSGers are ever in the Midwest, give me a call and we'll go and hit the links.

One last note, I play the G400 Max and it is by far the best driver I have ever played.  And yes, I think it beats the Ryoma.  Could be wrong, but for me, it just flat out performs.

Cheers,

TK

I think forgiveness plays a big part in how far you can hit a driver.  

When you are more comfortable over the ball you tend to have a better swing -> which lead you to better strikes -> middle of the face -> longer drives.  

During the range session,  the Yammy came in second at I think around 288 yards or so .. but the likely hood that I'd be able to repeat that with a 430cc head is probably pretty low.     

I think maximum forgiveness combined with very low spin is what I am after.   ( like everyone else I guess ? )