Honma TW-U forged stock shafts....

nobmontana

I picked up a couple of TW-U Forged,  #4 and #5 recently and was trying them out with the stock Vizard IB95 Stiff shafts. 

Though they felt wonderful and the club is overall very forgiving and a joy to hit,   I wasn't quite getting the distances I was used to seeing with normal 4 & 5 Irons.  With my 4 iron I usually get 180 or so carry which will take me to about 190 yards overall ,  5 iron is abut 170 carry and 180 yards overall. That was with my 24 and 27 deg Shinagawa MB irons.   With the same loft on these Honmas TW-U and provided that they have maraging steel faces, I would have thought I'd at least get like 10 more yards out of them easily... but that wasn't the case.    I'm guessing that the Vizard shafts are just a bit too light and spinny for me.   It goes super high and doesn't carry much and it doesn't roll much either.    It's an iron so I am not looking for uber long distances but I do want them to go the right distance.   So..  I am now re-shafting them with the Modus 125S that I had in my Shinagawa MB 4 &5 ...    In the past,  I have had experience where Modus 125 just went further for me compared to other lighter iron shafts.    Lower flight and likely lower spin too.    We shall see.  

OK TW-U #4 is carrying 180 now , Good!!    but 5 iron is still only going 160 carry....  

It is waaaay more easier to hit than the Shinagawa blades is the same loft so I guess that'll do. 

The club now feels a bit better with the steel shafts compared to the Vizard shafts too which was a bonus that I was not expecting. 

In the bag they go!!    Okay!!  my two sets are all set for the season!   bring out the sun!!  

hmmmm these look great in hand  but i wasnt enamoured by the big offset  evem the ,2 and 3.

went back to the old.model sold mine after 1round.

with you on the shaft tho. much prefer.steel the vizard is a tad whippy for me.

fyg  ns 950 and modus105  is a wonderful shaft in the twu.