Cleveland Japan 588 RTX 2.0 Precision Forged Wedges

nobmontana

Just took delivery of a 50 54 58 set of Cleveland Golf Japan's 588 RTX 2.0 Precision forged wedges.   

I guess some regions outside of Japan got these as limited edition wedges but I don't hear too much about them. 

Hideki Matsuyama's feedback is apparently incorporated in the overall design.  ( Part of what got me interested ) 

They have compact teardrop profile and made of S20C.   It says "Made in Japan"   on their website but who knows these days... 

Honestly, I haven't really taken notice for these wedges at all before recently ...  but these are essentially Cleveland's version of Japan only Vokey Forged Wedge.

What's really interesting on these wedges are that the finish of a single head uses 3 types of finishes,   back face is mostly satin finish and there is a strip of mirror finish on the trailing edge the sole and then the rest of the sole and hosel are beads shot finish.  Very interesting.     Laser milling on the face too.   

I've not hit them yet but just chipping a Tour B XS ball on the carpet ... Oh boy!!  Feel off the face is incredibly soft! I mean marshmallow soft!   Could be the combo of S20C + Dynamic Golds...  

The main reason I'm going to a 50 54 58 set up is because I've encountered too many occasions in the last couple of years that a 52 deg full shot came 5 yard short of what I needed and with a 46 deg PW iron set,  it just made better sense to have a 50 54 58 rather than a 52 58 which I have been using for the majority of the last 10 years. 
I'm really looking forward to getting used to them.  

Keep us posted nob. 

When I came to my club yesterday the first bag I saw had these wedges in it. Glanced at them and they looked really good. I tend to favor a more straight leading edge, but other than that - really nice.

The shape of the face is definitely teardrop and a more straighter top line.     Been to the range a few times and I am really liking them. 

Just cant believe how soft it feels.  Been a while since I have had such soft feeling wedges,   Still wondering if it's the S20C head or the S200 DG shafts or a combination of both. 

Been using Modus Wedge 125 exclusively for the past year....   

I need to take these wedges to the practice greens and get used to the different shots.   

This got me looking into their newer Japan only RTX 4 Forged wedges but unfortunately they seem to have dropped the 54 deg offering,   

Japan's popular set up is still PW, 50, 56  or PW, 52, 58  US players seem to like PW, 52 56 60  or PW, 50 54 58. 

Very impressed with these RTX 2.0 Precision Forged Wedges.  So much more spin I need to throw the ball closer to the pin to get the right distance.

Also seems like the teardrop shape is helping me aim the target better.    

There was also a Cleveland sponsored wedge clinic at one of the local ranges and so I went on Friday.   Didn't really teach us much but the package included a free Cleveland wedge, a sleeve of Srixon Z Star balls and a beer!   Fun Friday afternoon 2 hour session.   After the clinic I ordered the USDM RTX 4.0 46 deg raw finish ( sadly but not surprised that the rep had no access to JDM versions) to go with the rest of my new wedges.

6 hours ago, nobmontana said:

Very impressed with these RTX 2.0 Precision Forged Wedges.  So much more spin I need to throw the ball closer to the pin to get the right distance.

Also seems like the teardrop shape is helping me aim the target better.    

There was also a Cleveland sponsored wedge clinic at one of the local ranges and so I went on Friday.   Didn't really teach us much but the package included a free Cleveland wedge, a sleeve of Srixon Z Star balls and a beer!   Fun Friday afternoon 2 hour session.   After the clinic I ordered the USDM RTX 4.0 46 deg raw finish ( sadly but not surprised that the rep had no access to JDM versions) to go with the rest of my new wedges.

Hmm is that a typo or you really considering adding a 46*?

Why not? I always wanted a 46 deg wedge to replace my PW from my set.    So many players are doing it now. 

Never occurred to me....  I wonder if the Kyoei Proto has a 46.. 'ive hit the 56 and looks +,feel are amazing!