Nob's WITB 2019 Summer Edition

nobmontana

Pics to follow but I think I am done trying new clubs for the season.  (finally!!) 

Primary: 

DR: Mizuno GX 9.5 / ATMOS Black Tourspec 5TX 

3W: JBeam G-FW 13 / Tour AD TP 6X

3UT:  Romaro Type R 18 / Crazy STP 85

Irons:  Yonex N1-CB 4-PW / Modus 125 S

Wedges:  Fourteen DJ-33  50,54,58 / Modus 125 Wedge (MCI 125 Mild in the 58 deg)  

Putter:  Odyssey Japan Stroke Lab 7H  

Back Up: 

DR: Grandista RS-D 9.5 / Diamond Speeder 5X

3W: Modart MA01F 14 / Diamond Speeder 6X

3UT:  Modart MA01H 19 / Crazy STP 85

Irons:  PRGR ID BL 5-9 / Modus 125 S

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX4 46 deg / DG TI S400 

Cleveland Japan RTX2.0 Precision Forged 50,54,58 / DG S200

Putter:  Benock Blue Dragon II 

Edited by nobmontana

Playing the County Am was a wake up call...  Those irons I have been playing are just a bit too much club for how I am playing these days. 

To think about it,  I am playing only once a week most weeks now that my wife is working almost full time.   Last year I think I was playing 2 to three times a week. 

Makes a difference, I guess.   My main theme now is "forgiveness".   I actually got to play the N1-CBs yesterday out on the course and the feel is "Marshmallow soft".   It's different from the more dense solid forged feel that I am more accustomed to,  but reminded me very much of the soft feel of the Yonex NanoV Forged / DG S400 combo that I played as my very first JDM forged irons.  Ever since parting with that set almost 10 years ago,  I think I've been searching for that soft feel and I think I finally found it in another set of Yonex's   

The N1-CBs is probably a lot like the '15 Kuro's that you have from a shape and size perspective.   We'll do an in person comparison the next time we go out!!    

Apart from the soft feel,  the forgiveness factor was helping me out tremendously on slightly thin shots that normally should be more punishing distance wise.  

trying new clubs does eventually wear you down - I'm playing irons I really like and will force myself to continue enjoying them instead of the constant changing - and at $500 USD per iron, I'm entitled to stick with them.

Just received my Cleveland RTX 4 wedge in 46deg....  will replace my PW for the ID BL set,  

These Cleveland wedges are so good!!   

So I made a last minute change yesterday before my Men's club round this morning.  

Switched out the Speeder TR shaft and installed an ATMOS Tourspec in the Mizuno GX driver.  

Feel is much better with the ATMOS, I think it uses 40T carbon.    I think the Speeder TR has a rather glassy feel probably due to the 90T carbon it uses. 

In any case,  Men's club round this morning,  I shot 71 (37/34) which is tied with my best ever score from February.   Woohoo! 

Hit the driver pretty well today.   I think I only missed the fairway once with my driver today.  (On the other hand, missed fairway 3 times teeing off with my 3 wood!! )   

I am really really liking the Yonex N1-CB irons.  I am much more confident over the ball with these irons.  I used the 4 irons a few times and I did not have any mis hits. 

Fourteen DJ-33 wedges have also been very good.   I wish it did not have the offset,  but I am hitting the ball pretty much where I want it.    

Awesome golf Nob! 

I installed the Atmos Black TS that I got from you in the Mizuno head - great feeling combo. I really like the shaft. It will still be tough to kick the Zodia, that I aldo got from you, out of the bag. The AAA in it is perfect in every way.

Played again today but this time with my back up set.   was hitting my irons a bit thin overall...   score of 79 (41/38)  had a couple of double bogies in there, plus the course I played today, the greens were so slow.   left a few putts short.  yadayadayada... 
Had one monster drive that went 295 yards with roll with the Grandista RS-D / Diamond Speeder combo. 

10 hours ago, nobmontana said:

Played again today but this time with my back up set.   was hitting my irons a bit thin overall...   score of 79 (41/38)  had a couple of double bogies in there, plus the course I played today, the greens were so slow.   left a few putts short.  yadayadayada... 
Had one monster drive that went 295 yards with roll with the Grandista RS-D / Diamond Speeder combo. 

where did you play? Happy Father's day btw.

Willows Run...   didn't plan it.  Just drove there early in the morning hoping to get out. 

The greens were smooth like carpet but just a tad over grown.

Snohomish where I played on Saturday are rolling pretty fast but not as smooth as Willows.  

Happy Father's Day to you as well! 

Edited by nobmontana

• 2 weeks later...

In Japan now for a short stay visiting family.   Had a chance to take my father in law out for a round at Dai Atsugi Sakura course along with my daughter.    

I keep a set of cheap clubs here. 

Driver :  Ping G25 9.5 / Attas Gogo 7S 

DI:  Honma TW U Forged 3U /  Vizard IB 95 S

Irons 5-PW:  ‘13 Ping Anser Forged / NS 950GH S

Wedge:  Ping Anser Wedge 56

Putter:  Ping Anser Milled 5 

Managed to shoot even par from the back tees!!  My personal best score in Japan.  

Pretty happy considering the club set up is so different from what I currently play in the US.   Was a good reminder of how good the 950GH shafts were.    Honestly it didn’t take much of getting used to coming from Modus 125 that I normally play.   This year,  I traded in a Cobra Hybrid for a Honma TW U Forged driving iron.  Was originally seeking a 2 iron but when I tested at the shop,  3 iron went nearly as long as the 2 and it was more consistent.   The 2 iron had a DG steel shaft and it was bit too much spec for me.   I really love these driving irons especially with the stock Vizard shaft. 

All the Ping clubs worked really well.  

If I were to do a single brand bag for my gamer, I would possibly choose Ping.   

Funny how you have mainly usdm in your bag in Japan, but JDM in your bags at home 😀

It's no fun to have what everyone else uses here locally.    Yammy, PRGR,  Onoff, Honma, Bridgestone all over the place.   not too many Ping players... 🙂 

Nice round of golf Nobsan. Did you do the “full day” of golf with lunch dinner and sauna?

Nobs san of all the choices here you can have as a leave  bag...... ping????

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....sacrilege!

this is  where your  idbls  shud live!

It only gets used once a year or less.   For scoring low it does the job well.