Axis1 Rose or Directed Force putter.. anyone try one yet?

nobmontana

So these putters have no balance angle to the head.    During the stroke,  the head does not try to rotate in any direction,   Just stays the way it is at address.  

Been mostly using the Odyssey Japan Stroke Lab #7 lately and really like it ... but since the Axis1 Rose model looks very similar shape wise to the Odyssey 7,  I might have to give it a go. 

I tried the original Axis putters and they did frame the ball better than any putter I had seen - but ended up preferring a Scotty Cameron mallet. This newer shape, which Justin Rose has been using, does look better than the originals and I'll be giving it a try.

Read up on both the Axis1 Rose and Directed Force putter and while the Directed Force putter seem to be the true non-balanced head shape,  I really don't dig the shape of that head....  

So,  I will be trying the Axis1 Rose here shortly.   

Not sure why,  but the Axis1 Rose does not come standard with a Flat Cat grip?!!    

I'll be replacing the standard Lamkin Deep Etched Grip ( I know it's a great grip that's been around for ages!! but out dated I think!! )  with a Flat Cat grip and make it a Justin Rose Replica putter!  An extra 25 bucks for the grip but whatever!   

Will report back once I have it and tried it. 

They offer a thirty day Money Back guarantee so what could it hurt. Except you could piss off all the other putters in your stable being an ugly duckling haaa

If I can actually shave off a few strokes off my current game to achieve a few more under par rounds,  ugly duckling will look very attractive to me.   🙂

yes, and no, not  the  new rose one but the original blade shape axis  1, ive had  had that in play for several years   and had 2 of my all time best putting days with it. it does what it says, its  totally face balanced so the only mistakes it makes are by the user.

unfortunatly  its made of very cheap looking steel   and the finish doesn't hold up very well.  and feel is pretty ordinary BUT....................

results are results and this delivers, when I play monthly  medal rounds I still  use  this  bec quite simply its given me the  best results of all, it just looks like a cheap bike frame and not what were used to seeing in terms of quality.  so I  benched it.

the directed force  is new  and I didn't game it , only  had it on  the practice greens, I really liked it eventually ......, it took a little while to get used to the slant forward of the shaft and grip but you can adjust it to  any shape that fits ur swing best.  I was  caught  between 32 inch and 36 inch both of those worked equally well.

the head has a unique feel......

of the two f them I think id prob go for the  axis  even tho I like the head shape of the directed  force  better  and  it really rolls the ball straight   but I found distance control a little inconsistent  but ive only had  the one sessionwith it so it  doesn't mean a thing really. im confident if I got one it wud perfrom extremely well, especialy if like I, u don't mid those sort of heads.

the axis distance control is as good as anything ever IMO,  bec its a bit lighter and it plays like a blade putter. but with more forgiveness

when u get hot with the axis u can get really ,really good results .

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  you might just have spiked my interest again In the direct force...................

20190503_140852.jpg

20190503_140924.jpg

Edited by supo

cool!!!   I've seen the original Axis1 in person and as you say,  material are not the best. 

The Axis1 Rose is made of milled 303 at least on the blade part and they tacked on the bumpers to look like the Odyssey 7 or TM Ardmore.  

I should have mine next week.  can't wait to try it!!

I'm still waiting on the putter but I just found out that the bumpers that is screwed on to the blade section is supposedly made of plastic.... PLASTIC!!?    Really? 

What upsets me is that there is no mention of plastic on the product description.  Only 303 Stainless Steel.    

Was actually wondering how they have achieved torque free balancing after adding the fangs to the head.  

For a $449 putter,  at least they could have done some lighter metal, like Aluminum or Titanium you would think.... 

I'll roll it on the carpet once I get it to see if it produces significantly different/stable feel to my stroke,  but it better be so much better if I were to keep a putter that's made of half plastic.  

At this point I think there is a good chance that I will enact upon the 30 day money back policy.  😞 

hmmmmm ... yes as I said the idea is good but the   product isn't what WE here expect to see/play.

as disappointing as it is materials wise,  the putter ( the eagle model)  really does work well its tough to love Nobs,, but it does a good job.  

So I received the Axis1 Rose putter last night.... putting it on carpet side by side against the JDM Odyssey Stroke Lab #7 . 

I haven't even peeled the shrink wrap...   1st impression is that it "looks" okay.    But when you tap on the plastic fang section,  you just keep wondering "why"   

Within this short time that I have been trying this on thee carpet, I do notice that there is less dispersion on the trace of the ball takes.  

It almost feels like it has a much larger sweet spot.   Note sure if this is the case,  but balls are rolling more consistently with less dispersion. 

The look at address will take some getting used to with the shaft connecting to the head at the heel in front of the face edge.   

Feel is actually decent.  I think 303 steel with semi-deep milling on the face helps with the softer feel.  

It does not actually feel dense probably because the hitting area is actually not that thick. 

Still debating....    

pop up your findings sir...

I am strongly considering the  exo 2 ball. had a roll  with it  yesterday. and I like it... just cant see any difference to the forged one tho form a cpl of yrs back. that I think has a much nicer feel.......

• 1 year later...
On 7/10/2019 at 9:21 AM, nobmontana said:

Read up on both the Axis1 Rose and Directed Force putter and while the Directed Force putter seem to be the true non-balanced head shape,  I really don't dig the shape of that head....  

So,  I will be trying the Axis1 Rose here shortly.   

Not sure why,  but the Axis1 Rose does not come standard with a Flat Cat grip?!!    

I'll be replacing the standard Lamkin Deep Etched Grip ( I know it's a great grip that's been around for ages!! but out dated I think!! )  with a Flat Cat grip and make it a Justin Rose Replica putter!  An extra 25 bucks for the grip but whatever!   

Will report back once I have it and tried it. 

Did you , or anyone else, find the stock lambkin grip was installed so the flat top portion when held upright (flat part horizontal, but looking down the shaft) left the face open by 10-15 degrees? I can't get my head around why the grip is installed like this. 

I thought the grip was installed properly.  Did not have an issue there.   What I could not get over was the cheap plastic portion used on the head. 

$449 for a putter with a head half made of plastic?    nope... not me.   I returned mine. 

As much as i like  to  try/ se new funky designs  i dont like(HATE!!) the cheap s**tty materials they always tend to use and the exorbitant price they charge for it , why , when i can use a precisise Sus303 delighful piece for pretty much the same.

i ddint buy that   direct force bec  the price didnt seem right for  it and  any    resale on it is  ZERO.

I've had a couple and what impressed me was how the design frames your ball - but agree that for the big money it seemed too plastic and cheap.