Titleist VG3 2018 irons - a quick observation

Ian-500

A distinct lack of reviews/thoughts on these so I'll have a go;

Ok, let me just start out by saying these are LONG! A little test earlier today (lunch break!) on a short 9 hole course (Dene course https://www.purbeckgolf.co.uk/dene) as part of the beautiful Isle of Purbeck GC.

I bought these for a couple of reasons; wanting something slightly more forgiving than my Adams XTD forged, and also to get back in to the world of JDM. After a bit of chatter between me and Dale, he pointed out that the irons were more than likely ukok's old irons. And yes they are....I should have bought them from Ray (ukok) and saved some cash. Anyway..

First things first, these are lighter than what I'm used to. Specs say D1 with Modus 105s and I play D3.5 with Recoil Proto 125F5. They have 'slightly' more offset than my gamers but it still looks like I'm not gonna hook them, so kinda friendly. I've never ever liked Modus shafts over the years, and all of the fittings I've had have never resulted in Modus being recommended, but (atm) these things just seem to work. Why? No idea. I seem to be better with the 50, pw, 9i and 5i 4i, but I can catch the mid irons a little thin from time to time. ukok did have these MOI matched with lead tape, but the previous owner removed all of that before I bought them. Whether that would make a difference I'll never know.

Again, these are super long. The longest irons I've ever gamed. It was quite windy out there today. The 1st is a 245yd Par 4 and the 4i (std spec 22*) was on the left edge of the green. The 5th is a slightly downhill 243yd par 3 and I took a 5i (std spec 24*) because of the wind behind and it went through the back of the green. Some crazy distances and both shots were very soft draws. Feel/sound wise, there's a little click on the irons below the 8i, but nothing too disturbing. Seriously if you flush these then you won't care they go soooooo far. The 8i down to PW is a a one piece forging (possibly, maybe) and feels great when middled. As good as any OnOff on centre strikes.

So, I shot my lowest score on this short 9 holes and I don't know what to make of it. I love graphite iron shafts but this throws up a few questions, apart from the fact that more testing on 18 holes required.

I'm loving the forged 50* too 🙂

Ian.

Edited by Ian-500

Ahhhhhh ,  , good  write up , if id read this 3 weeks ago when I was after  set of  irons for a friend. ( I eyed these irons  off  and a set a cpl of  yrs older I think ) and liked  both of them (for him),  but  I went with the onoffs instead, as id not hit either it was a flip it moment and the  onoffs got the nod  but reading this, back  then, I prob wud have  gone this route instead,  alas such is golf I guess.................,

so little ( read NONE, ) contributions  here any more . Its a ghost  town.

mush as i ahte to say it , honestly  I think the whole  JDM  golf forum thing is done.

sad but true.

Nice review!!   Whenever I go look for forgiving CBs to try,  VG3 always come to mind.    Then I’d feel like I’d have to go all Titleist in my bag cuz they make good woods, wedges and putters too.   That’s a dangerous and expensive road to take!!! 🙂      The clicky feel is because face is stainless steel?  And not fully forged?   

Speaking of shafts,   I’m using Modus 125s now but I would not mind trying lighter shafts again.   Reason being the lighter stock shafts in my Honma TWU Forged #4 and #5 is working very well for me....  and just yesterday I played 9 holes with a demo set of Mizuno JPX 919 Forged irons shafted with DG 105s and I was overshooting virtually every green.   But control was still there.   Finally adjusted down two clubs to get the right distance.   

6 hours ago, nobmontana said:

Nice review!!   Whenever I go look for forgiving CBs to try,  VG3 always come to mind.    Then I’d feel like I’d have to go all Titleist in my bag cuz they make good woods, wedges and putters too.   That’s a dangerous and expensive road to take!!! 🙂      The clicky feel is because face is stainless steel?  And not fully forged?   

Hahaha I'm the same. Tempted in going all Titleist.

Screenshot_20190726-203129.png

I have played every VG3 irons since I think 2012. I have found different years irons alternate between the "soft" forged feel when striking the ball to the clicky feel. I thought the 2014 alliteration was the most clicky feel while the 2016 and 2018 versions have more of a softer feel. These are the best irons I have ever played. Looking forward to see what they do for the 2020 version.      

I have the latest version and find them top quality and real aim-and-shoot clubs.... similarly the CNCPT irons Titleist have recently released...although they are very expensive compared to the VG3's and I'm not seeing much difference between the two.  

• 3 weeks later...

Just shafted a 7i with Recoil Proto 125 for testing. Looks great.

DSC_0553.JPG

Edited by Ian-500

I’ve never tried graphite irons above 100g range...   let us know how they work for you!! I’ve only tried the Recoil 95 in a driving iron.  Was really good feeling.