I've gone mad.... forgiving irons all the sudden seem really boring...

nobmontana

It's really a sickness....  after switching my irons recently to very forgiving Yonex N1-CBs....

Just these past few days,  I've completely lost interest in them.     Uggh!@!   not sure why... I feel no satisfaction in hitting them.  

So today, I've put my IDBLs as my primary and then pulled out my Seven Shinagawas as secondary. 

Same with driver...  I've sort of lost interest in the Romaro Ultimate Tuning and gone back to the Grandista RS-D but did install the Loop GK in it. 

Went out to the range this evening and hit my Shinagawas for the first time in a while and they feel perfectly fine.   I can hit them straight.  no issues!  

With the Grandista I am hitting it very consistently. Just need to add 5 to 6 grams to the head for the right swing weight. 

I'm sure after a while of this set up,  I'll find something else to try.... than I'll go try that... it's just never ending. 

Oh and I've gone back to my Benock Blue Dragon II as my primary putter and even got rid of a taperless grip and went back to a normal reverse overlap grip as opposed to the left hand low grip that I was using for the last 7 Mos or so.   

All these changes should get me a fresh perspective on the course!!!  

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, dnq22 said:

Sounds reasonable to me.

Love the look of the Shinagawas - imagine they feel pretty good.

I feel that logic has lost its place in my world of golf!!  HaHaHa!    Shinagawa I feel are modern masterpieces from a design/shape perspective.    I love how they look at address.  Not quite as dense as your MP33 (traditional blades). But with the right shaft, it can feel very nice.  I think Modus 120 or Dynamic Golds would make the softness really come out.   I currently have Modus 125s so they feel a bit firm off the face.   

I need some medical leave from work for whatever disease this thing is.. 🙂 

I am affirmatively on the blade band wagon...

After perusing several posts, it would seem that the Crazy MB’s & Masda Proto MB’s are top of their class... I’m over raw irons and the grinding of Yururi flat backs is enough to make me turn & run...

I’m not so high on the ginormous hosel length of the Masda’s though... Besides that, what is the distinguishing factor between the Proto & fast back? 

From the description, it seems as though the Crazy’s are longer heel to toe, sharp and quite forgiving for a blade/MB... And they are simply stunning... 

distance is not a factor, I could care less about distance when it comes to my irons... particularly 6-PW... my miss is the toe’ish hook... 

appreciate any suggestions 

I’d try and find a set of Yonex ezone MB Chiba grind. I traded a set to John on here a little while ago. Not only are they stunning, they play really well and feel so good. I just never hit balls so mb’s make no sense anymore (if they ever did - except for the fact that they look good and make you a better ball striker).

Crazy  yururi and kyoei are all the same thing.

masda have a long hosel to help stamp out toe,high hooks.

miuraism are small compact thick unbelievable feeling squared off heads.

honma are rounded smaller thinner mbs that u can do anything with.

On 8/13/2019 at 4:09 PM, supo said:

come back to the blades!!!!

small compact  is good

My swing unfortuinately isn't down blow enough to justify using blades full time.  

I'm guessing forgiving irons that are slightly larger in size tend to make me sloppy overall with my swing. 

With forgiving clubs I get away with some of the lousiest swings. Over time, It has a downward spiral effect in swing, score and game,

The "improve score & handicap" initiative I've set at the start of the year really started to take a hit after switching to forgiving irons. 

Seems opposite but I remembered what Bob (Owner of a golf course in Bozeman, Montana) told me about "Game Improvement" clubs. 

He said if I wanted to improve my game, I needed to use the least forgiving clubs possible.    

The term "Game Improvement clubs" is deceiving because over time, your game (skills) will actually NOT improve.   

I'll be rotating ID BLs and Shinagawas MBs for a while to see if I can get back on track.  Also have the Miura 99.3s that I can shaft up... yeah maybe I'll go ahead and do that.  

Edited by nobmontana

life's hard enough without putting your rec golf game though the ringer by playing blades that need to be struck like Rory.... soft forged beauties with some forgiveness gets me every time.

• 2 weeks later...

My latest decision making in drivers is to just go with one kind of driver!!  ( Insane!!! ) 

I've now built 3 Grandista RS-Ds drivers with Loop GK shafts.   

2 are nearly identical specs.  9 deg head / 45" long.  ( actually I think one was 9.5 deg measured ) 

1 is a 10 deg head and 44.5" long.  

I've kind of lost interest in my other drivers.   Ping, Romaro, Jbeam all going to BST or the Bay. 

Many experiments with these heads but the Grandista / Loop combo is what I like.  

Not the most forgiving or the longest...  but ultimately I enjoy hitting this combo the most.   ( well... for now ) 

Oh BTW,  Men’s club tournament last Saturday, I shot even par 72 (34/38) using my IDBLs with Modus 120 S that I just installed.    My iron shots were really good that day.   Turns out I won first place in Gross score and had a couple of skins too.     First time to outright win an individual tournament which was really exciting so I guess this combo works for me. 

11 hours ago, nobmontana said:

Oh BTW,  Men’s club tournament last Saturday, I shot even par 72 (34/38) using my IDBLs with Modus 120 S that I just installed.    My iron shots were really good that day.   Turns out I won first place in Gross score and had a couple of skins too.     First time to outright win an individual tournament which was really exciting so I guess this combo works for me. 

Congratulations!  Let's play soon.

17 hours ago, nobmontana said:

Well done Nob. Looks like you'd better stick with this PRGR's.

Yes ...  however as you can imagine,  a single set is just not going to do it for me!!  🙂  

I do have a "split set" of blades coming in a day or two ... It's an abbreviated iron and wedge set  Long, Mid, Short, Pitch and Sand   The clubs are actually named that way. 

Loft wise they are 25, 33, 41, 50 and 58    I'll just add a driver and may be a shorter wood around 19 deg and a putter for an 8 club set up. 

10 hours ago, supo said:

like that too. thats a sunday bag and some

Yup I may finally get to use my Sunday leather bag that will hold exactly eight clubs!!

• 2 weeks later...

im done with big heads.  done.  I cant find the mid  on them , its all over the face

I took a set  out last weekend and  then next day my tiny tiny  Mbs and the different drove me insane.

I hit the big headed things all over the face. got shiit  results bec for some reason I was trying to clobber the ball an extra  20 yards with every  club,  granted when  I did get it  pure it went further and felt AWSOME!!!!!!

then next day I clubbed down and didint miss the ball with my tiny honmas. something subconscious  about concentrating more on the centre of the ball and its actually easier to hit the ball with a small club

im done with cbs

It's interesting how the smaller heads provide better results.    

Bigger not always better!!