I've gone mad.... forgiving irons all the sudden seem really boring...

nobmontana

15 hours ago, nobmontana said:

It's interesting how the smaller heads provide better results.    

Bigger not always better!!

i agree.. if I use GI irons i'll get more distance because of the high MOI and strong lofts but my shots also have much much more sidespin and are much more difficult to play effectively. I've also realized how big a difference it is using proper iron shafts for your swing, I went from DG's to KBS Tours with comparable weights but the trajectory differential makes a bigger difference than I thought it would, I'm currently looking to go back to lower launching iron shafts and would like to find some high quality models to try other than DG tour issue, PX and C-Tapers 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've recently moved from Modus 125 to Modus 120 and I am much better off on most iron shots.   If anything I would like my trajectory to be a bit lower so I will be testing out JDM DG AMT S200 soon.    At 52 years of age...  straight DG S200s are just too heavy for me especially on the mid to long irons.  Short irons I can still handle.   So the AMT model should be just perfect. 

The weight on an AMT S200 #4 and  Modus 120 S #4 is actually right about the same.   

Just had a great range session with my Cleveland 588MB / DG AMT S200!!   I have the 4 iron in MB but decided to use a 588CB for the 4 instead.  MB 4 iron is still scary looking to me!! 

Anyway, the ball went pretty much where I wanted for the shorter irons.   Looks big and mid were much easier to hit than the full on S300.  With a 47deg PW lofts aren’t meant for distance but consistency is really good!!  Will use more of this set over the winter in an effort to improve on my iron striking!!   

Yay blades!!! ( minus the 4 iron ... ) 

5 hours ago, nobmontana said:

Just had a great range session with my Cleveland 588MB / DG AMT S200!!   I have the 4 iron in MB but decided to use a 588CB for the 4 instead.  MB 4 iron is still scary looking to me!! 

Anyway, the ball went pretty much where I wanted for the shorter irons.   Looks big and mid were much easier to hit than the full on S300.  With a 47deg PW lofts aren’t meant for distance but consistency is really good!!  Will use more of this set over the winter in an effort to improve on my iron striking!!   

Yay blades!!! ( minus the 4 iron ... ) 

very nice! glad to hear the AMT s200's are working out. would you say that DG's are the best low launching shafts you've tried? i'm definitely looking for low launch steel iron shafts that are on the heavier side. I've used DG's, PX's, KBS Tours, C-Tapers, and Shimada Tours. of them all I probably like the Shimada Tours the most, even though they are listed as being a somewhat mid launching shaft they're definitely at most low/mid, with the DG's and PX's a close 2a and 2b. i'm definitely interested in trying out any other quality low launch iron shafts that you can think of, I just don't know of any others. are Monacos heavy and low? any Nippon models fall into that category? 

Nippon Super Peening Blues are low.   I've had Monaco Stiffs before and they felt boardy.  

I tried to love it because I absolutely think that bronze coloring is so cool!   At the end,  the shafts did not match my swing. 

But they were on the low launching side of things if I recall. 

ok

monaccos are.not for the harder forgrd./cast heads. u will loose an enormous amount  of joy on even the slightest non centered shots.

ie, they felt.crap in a-grimd mbs. one.round.and aced them  immedialty.

one of the worst pairings ive ever.done

HOWEVER......

in a set of.epon aftours the exact opposite 

magic.sheer utter maguc added half.a.club distamce.as.it lowered.the flignt and the butyer of epon was balanced.by tje taughtnedd of the mons.

only.thing better in this setof headd was  super peening blue.

this match as with all epon in unrivalled.

sp blue and mons with mizuno, onoff,epon srixon latest models cant.go wrong if ur a.stronger player. blows.the latest modus range.to shreds .. not evem close.

other.set worth a look in tjese heads are the shimadas

sounds like SP Blue would be one of the better quality heavy and low launch options, might have to pick up a set and give em a go

of  those 2 sets and u gotta include the shimada 125s..  so 3 sets.

I found the SP blue to  have  the path of least resistance , best feel .

all 3 of these performance wise are virtually the same. matters not.

the mons are a constant weight shaft as are the shimada 125s. from  memeory , so u get a nice kick form the 3/4/5 irons and some pretty flat robust flight with the scoring end!

the SP blue are just low......and straight,   good luck moving these laterally!

best wind shafts ever made.

actually.... all 3 of these are.

2 hours ago, supo said:

of  those 2 sets and u gotta include the shimada 125s..  so 3 sets.

I found the SP blue to  have  the path of least resistance , best feel .

all 3 of these performance wise are virtually the same. matters not.

the mons are a constant weight shaft as are the shimada 125s. from  memeory , so u get a nice kick form the 3/4/5 irons and some pretty flat robust flight with the scoring end!

the SP blue are just low......and straight,   good luck moving these laterally!

best wind shafts ever made.

actually.... all 3 of these are.

so I already have a set of the Shimada K's Tour shafts, love them possibly my favorite iron shaft ever. if the SP Blues are similar then I will prob love them also, now I really want to get a set of them to try. only problem is the only iron heads I have to put them in right now are .370 parallels, but I may try them out with a set of Shinagawas. either way I'd most likely be using them in a set of MBs so the Mons sound like they might be a tad too stiff/boardy. I love the feel from the K's Tour shafts although I know some people think they're boards, so the SP Blues sound like they're prob the shaft to go with

11 hours ago, supo said:

mons and shimada  are  pretty similar feel.

shimada are the boardiest of them all .

oo reeeeally.. so the Mons are like a little lower launching version of Shimada? hmm maybe I would really like those then. I guess it will just depend on which of them is an easier set to find, the Mons or the SP Blues. Unless the Mons are .370 parallel then that would make my decision because I have a set of heads I could use them with right now, for the SP Blues I'd have to either swap them into my Shinagawas or snag another set of .355 taper heads

soooo I've found sets of Monacos and SP Blues that are almost the exact same price, so neither price nor availability look like they'll be determining factors in making a decision on which set to purchase. I'm currently at a loss as I can't decide which of the two models to try! they both sound so great I don't know how to choose.

any info on either shaft that can expand on the great info already provided in this post would be extremely appreciated!!!

I just picked up some Project X 5.5 shafts.... Aren't these supposed to be low launch too?  

Only time I had these shafts were in a Mizuno MP Fli Hi 24 deg driving iron.  I really liked that club. 

27 minutes ago, nobmontana said:

I just picked up some Project X 5.5 shafts.... Aren't these supposed to be low launch too?  

Only time I had these shafts were in a Mizuno MP Fli Hi 24 deg driving iron.  I really liked that club. 

Yes, PX is supposed to be a low launching shaft. I had them before in 6.5 and I liked them but sold the set that I had them installed in. I was considering those but wanted to find out if any Nippon models or the Mons would be better  

Had my first round with the Cleveland 588MB / DG AMT S200.    Shot a 74.  

Few iron shots pushed to the right.  No misses to the left.    

Distance may be a bit shorter than the ID BLs...  or maybe I'm just not hitting it in the true middle yet.     

But so far so good!  Really like the feel when I do hit the middle!!    Will continue using this for the off season. 

who knows where (or if) one can find a new-ish set of IDBLs? 

9 minutes ago, gregoire56 said:

who knows where (or if) one can find a new-ish set of IDBLs? 

PM Bjorn. I think he has a set.

plenty of used ones out on the market.   

Also TR500 or Nabla Tour might be good alternatives.  

13 hours ago, nobmontana said:

plenty of used ones out on the market.   

Also TR500 or Nabla Tour might be good alternatives.  

TR500......one day.

6 hours ago, Ian-500 said:

Oo wow those ARE sweeeet 

also, yes the IDBL’s or TR500’s would both be models I’d really like in addition to those nabla tours. I was really looking for somewhere I could get one of those sets in new-ish condition and those ones in that listing look like they are brand new 

i just swapped.a.set.of tjese  last.week.

soft.as a babies bum.

squarer than prgr  models of old.

diff feel diff shape  u cud but raliway line shavings in tjese and they wud feel like.a.marshmallow

43 minutes ago, proswing89 said:

Gentlemen,need some advice which set of shafts to install on these Kyoei KK MB blades iron. I got a set of Monaco stiff and shimada tour stiff, also looking for set of project-X 5.5 any suggestions.

Thanks

When I’m buying iron shafts I’m looking for heavy and low launching, and I absolutely love the Shimada K’s Tour shafts but some people find them too boardy. I also liked the Project X shafts a lot and I’ve been debating on whether to scoop a set of Monaco’s or Nippon SP Blues. According to the very knowledgeable gentlemen on this forum who have tried these shafts, apparently the K’s Tour, Monaco, and SP Blue shafts are all very similar with them being reasonably low launching and the Mons and Tours being constant weight shafts. The Mons also apparently each have a progressive amount of tip stiffness to facilitate a lower launch and tighter dispersion with the shorter irons, and higher launch in the longer irons. 

If heavy and low launching are the same features you’re seeking from your iron shafts then you can’t go wrong with any of those 3 models, but the K’s Tour and Monaco shafts will be the best quality. However, those two models in stiff will also be much more stout than the PX’s in 5.5.. their 5.5 frequency is more of a regular-firm flex and the Monaco and K’s Tour in stiff will be on the higher frequency side of stiff flex, so the PX 6.0 would be much more similar to the Mons and K’s Tours in stiff