Epon 25* loft iron to blend with Epon AF-Tour MB

Ian-500

Epon AF-Tour MB's have a 4i at 25* loft. If I were to replace it with something slightly more forgiving, which would you recommend; 901 25*/903 23* bent to 25*/703 6i bent to 25* or something else.......303 or maybe a 503? The newer irons are a little too expensive, so 305/505/705 are out.

3 hours ago, dnq22 said:

Also consider 901 at 22 - swing it a little easier - also a good option off the tee.

I found the 901  more forgiving then the 903.

I have the 901 at 22 bent to 20,5.

The straightest club I ever hit both from tee and the deck... 

Had the 901 but I thought that the offset might be too much coming from a blade 5i, so i discounted it from my search...?

i have a similar setup for which i have blade pw-5 and i bought OnOff 2011 forged CB #3 and #4 irons, Endo forged so although it's not Epon it's really close and they're really great irons. then I use a 19* 901 instead of a 5w or hybrid. If you can hit the 901 well then I think it'd probably be a really big difference, distance wise, going from your blade #5 to a 901 #4, you'd probably have a big distance gap between those two clubs. I get just as much distance from my 19* 901 as I do with a hybrid so it's a pretty robust club. going right from a blade to a 901 would definitely leave a pretty big distance gap for me even if the loft gapping is the same. having the CBs in between makes for a very smooth transition between clubs for me. however, my set is more about loft and distance gapping than anything because i like to have a club in the bag for every shot i might come across

2 hours ago, gregoire56 said:

i have a similar setup for which i have blade pw-5 and i bought OnOff 2011 forged CB #3 and #4 irons, Endo forged so although it's not Epon it's really close and they're really great irons. then I use a 19* 901 instead of a 5w or hybrid. If you can hit the 901 well then I think it'd probably be a really big difference, distance wise, going from your blade #5 to a 901 #4, you'd probably have a big distance gap between those two clubs. I get just as much distance from my 19* 901 as I do with a hybrid so it's a pretty robust club. going right from a blade to a 901 would definitely leave a pretty big distance gap for me even if the loft gapping is the same. having the CBs in between makes for a very smooth transition between clubs for me. however, my set is more about loft and distance gapping than anything because i like to have a club in the bag for every shot i might come across

Sounds good. I do have a thing about playing similar makes of irons though....

🙂

I think an AF-Tour CB #4  or SUS-316 #4,  AF-302 , AF-301 #4 would be good candidates loft wise.  I think they are all 24 deg

Any of these are more forgiving than a #4 AF-Tour MB in my opinion.   

If you are okay with other brands,  Honma TW-U Forged #4 (24 deg) is a good multi-material driving iron that is quite forgiving for the size.  It's not too bulky. 

I found that these Honma more forgiving that Mizuno's MP-18 MMC or Titleist T-MB in a smiler loft and better feel off the face.  

Anyone tried Srixon ZU85/65/45? I gamed the UTi a few years ago and really liked it. 

On 8/21/2019 at 11:10 PM, Ian-500 said:

Sounds good. I do have a thing about playing similar makes of irons though....

🙂

You don’t say 😂