JDM Fairway Woods

Norboo

I am currently using Ryoma F3 and F5 with Beyond Power shaft.   

What are some great JDM fairway woods within the last 6 years in terms of:

Forgiveness 

Distance 

Easy to elevate 

Edited: Not too shallow, I like hitting Fairway woods off the tee as well as deck.  

Edited by Norboo

jBEAM Glorious.

I've tried dozens and would rate Maruman Shuttle as good as anything - also Ryoma and XXIO were quite decent.

17 hours ago, nobmontana said:

JBeam G-FW..... period!! 

Yupp. Bought one from you at one point I think. Launched way too high for me though. Then bought a Zodia Ti-OZ, also from you, that thing still look brand new btw. That too launches a bit hugh for me, even with a Tataki 70sx in it. Looks great though!

16 hours ago, supo said:

distance...  prgr egg ,  ryoma f series.........STILL.

forgiveness   prgr MFD  syard  xv  ( just rebuilt this , cant get over how  good it is...again!!!!)

eleveation ....ryoma f series

however ...

lovimg these guys so much they got the bag spots.right now

20190901_155313.jpg

The BBD’s are awesome. Great workability, great feel, great looks and will cut through rough nicely. Perfect shape. Not for non single digit handicappers though.

12 minutes ago, bngolfer said:

Yupp. Bought one from you at one point I think. Launched way too high for me though. Then bought a Zodia Ti-OZ, also from you, that thing still look brand new btw. That too launches a bit hugh for me, even with a Tataki 70sx in it. Looks great though!

No I have never sold a JBeam G-FW ...  The one I am using is the first and only one I got.   and have no plans selling it any time soon!! 🙂

It might have been something else, though   Maybe a Grandista RS-F?  

Anyway... the thing with Titanium FW woods is that CG is lower compared to Steel heads which means it will launch higher.   If you want low penetrating flight, Titanium heads may not be the best.    But that is only if you are using traditional 15 deg or so lofts.   My G-FW is a 13 deg.   Back in the day when I tried 13 deg steel headed fairways,  I could launch it high enough and typically the 13 deg heads had pretty deep profiles.  Unless it was tee'd up,  it was extremely hard to pick off the turf.    Not so much with the G-FW.    It's pretty shallow profile and the low CG from the Ti construction helps with launch and is very forgiving.  But at the same time it is not overly big like some other fairways.   Crazy just recently came out with a 12.5 deg lofted CRZ Full Titan FW head which I think would have similar flight characteristics as my G-FW.   Another couple that might be pretty good are the Romaro Type R  or the new Alpha.  

I should add... if you are after a compact sexy looking steel head that provides penetrating trajectory but with a shallow profile,  Modart MA01F in 14 deg is it. 

14 deg head is unique in its line up as it incorporates cup face construction whereas the 16 deg and 19 deg heads do not. 

I had a 19 deg for a while but the 14 deg just felt so much softer off the face probably due to the different construction.

While the 455 steel face construction with a 14deg loft my scare some ... it is quite friendly when it comes to ease of launch and overall forgiveness because of the shallow face profile.    

It is also a bit easier to work the ball because fo the smaller size.    Highly recommended!

Ah, must have bought the G from someone else then. It was 15 degrees and launched high.

On 9/3/2019 at 3:14 PM, nobmontana said:

It might have been something else, though   Maybe a Grandista RS-F?  

LOVE the RS-F! Terrific head if you want a smaller profile with a shallow face

On 9/3/2019 at 3:20 PM, nobmontana said:

I should add... if you are after a compact sexy looking steel head that provides penetrating trajectory but with a shallow profile,  Modart MA01F in 14 deg is it. 

14 deg head is unique in its line up as it incorporates cup face construction whereas the 16 deg and 19 deg heads do not. 

I had a 19 deg for a while but the 14 deg just felt so much softer off the face probably due to the different construction.

While the 455 steel face construction with a 14deg loft my scare some ... it is quite friendly when it comes to ease of launch and overall forgiveness because of the shallow face profile.    

It is also a bit easier to work the ball because fo the smaller size.    Highly recommended!

I also LOVE the 14* MA01F! You're description is spot-on

The OnOff '17 Kuro 15* is also a great Ti FW with a small profile and shallow face

• 4 months later...
On 9/4/2019 at 2:20 AM, nobmontana said:

Am looking at getting one. May I know how does this compare to the 3woods released in recent years? Am currently gaming the prgr rs fw3 2017. How would you compare it to that or other fw in terms of getting in up in the air from the fairway and playability? Always seem to feel I can’t address the ball with current my current fw right as it some how kind of sits too square 

Totally feel this club is the  hardest to find a perfect match. open to suggestions of other interesting fw3 s 😁

Currently I'm using the Crazy Full Titan 3&5 w/ Crazy FW80 I also have the Modart 14* which launches lower and the 2016 PRGR Red with stock shaft. 

Edited by cuistot

17 hours ago, Oznek said:

Am looking at getting one. May I know how does this compare to the 3woods released in recent years? Am currently gaming the prgr rs fw3 2017. How would you compare it to that or other fw in terms of getting in up in the air from the fairway and playability? Always seem to feel I can’t address the ball with current my current fw right as it some how kind of sits too square 

Totally feel this club is the  hardest to find a perfect match. open to suggestions of other interesting fw3 s 😁

I can't compare the MA01F to the PRGR RS '17 because I've never hit the RS, but I can compare it to the OnOff Kuro '17, Grandista RS-F, Epon AF-203, the new Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero, an the Titleist TS3.

Of those six FWs I just mentioned, the MA01F and AF-203 I found to be the two easiest to hit, but for different reasons. The AF-203 has a pretty deep forged SP700 face which provides amazing feel and the head is nice and compact so if you catch the ball solidly it is going to travel and it's still very easy to work both ways, but since it has a deeper face it's a little harder to get the ball up. The MA01F on the other hand is also nice and compact with a gorgeous shape but it has a very shallow face that gets the ball up in the air very easily and also has very nice feel. The MA01F is very easy to hit high and long but a bit tougher to work than the AF-203, but that's not to say that it's hard to work. Also, as with all Modart clubs, it is extremely aesthetically pleasing, I get ooh's and ahh's every time I take it out. 

I also really like both the RS-F and '17 Kuro, they have shallow faces and very nice compact shapes, the RS-F is very easy to get up in the air and the feel is a lovely soft crunch and the Kuro is very long when you hit it well with nice pop. The Mavrik Sub Zero is my least favorite of this group. The head is actually nice and compact with an appealing shape at address, but I didn't find the face to feel particularly good though and didn't think it went overly straight either. The TS3 I liked a little more than the Mavrik because the feel off the face was better and it was easier to hit straight. However, I'm already not a big fan of the adjustable hosel and the one on the TS3 was particularly throwing me off because of its small size. In general though, I think the four JDM FWs look and feel better, much more solid. 

5 hours ago, gregoire56 said:

I can't compare the MA01F to the PRGR RS '17 because I've never hit the RS, but I can compare it to the OnOff Kuro '17, Grandista RS-F, Epon AF-203, the new Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero, an the Titleist TS3.

Of those six FWs I just mentioned, the MA01F and AF-203 I found to be the two easiest to hit, but for different reasons. The AF-203 has a pretty deep forged SP700 face which provides amazing feel and the head is nice and compact so if you catch the ball solidly it is going to travel and it's still very easy to work both ways, but since it has a deeper face it's a little harder to get the ball up. The MA01F on the other hand is also nice and compact with a gorgeous shape but it has a very shallow face that gets the ball up in the air very easily and also has very nice feel. The MA01F is very easy to hit high and long but a bit tougher to work than the AF-203, but that's not to say that it's hard to work. Also, as with all Modart clubs, it is extremely aesthetically pleasing, I get ooh's and ahh's every time I take it out. 

I also really like both the RS-F and '17 Kuro, they have shallow faces and very nice compact shapes, the RS-F is very easy to get up in the air and the feel is a lovely soft crunch and the Kuro is very long when you hit it well with nice pop. The Mavrik Sub Zero is my least favorite of this group. The head is actually nice and compact with an appealing shape at address, but I didn't find the face to feel particularly good though and didn't think it went overly straight either. The TS3 I liked a little more than the Mavrik because the feel off the face was better and it was easier to hit straight. However, I'm already not a big fan of the adjustable hosel and the one on the TS3 was particularly throwing me off because of its small size. In general though, I think the four JDM FWs look and feel better, much more solid. 

Wow, thanks loads for the detailed reply! That’s why we all love this community...

am a single handicap but fw3 is definitely my weakest club. Thinking of trying the MA01F or Grandista RS-F .. how would you rate both in terms of off the deck in the air, hitting in straight and forgiveness? Those would be my priorities to on my home course to get as close as possible on those long par 5s and occasionally (really rarely actuallly) off the tee. I always try to play a fade for my woods and keep it one side of the fairway...

Edited by Oznek

On 1/31/2020 at 2:58 AM, Oznek said:

Unfortunately never tried the PRGR RS FW so I can't really speak to that.  I don't have an issue launching the ball with the Modart MA01F.   It has a shallow enough face that it can pick the ball up from the turf.   But compared to more modern Ti heads,  I do think the trajectory is more penetrating when you compare like for like lofts. 

For instance my 13 deg JBeam G-FW which is a full Ti head,  launch is about there same of slightly higher than the MA01F.    This is likely due to the lower CG that Ti FW are known for.  They are just easier to launch than all steel heads which have higher CG.   You can also see that Modart has a longer hosel compared to more modern FW geared for forgiveness which typically indicates a higher CG 

If the MA01F had a deeper face, it would not be useable for me.   The compact shape looks a bit intimidating at first but after a few shots, you realize that the shallow face helps a lot with forgiveness.   I have a Loop FW Seven shaft in the Modart currently but considering trying the new FW Six TS this year.  70+g FW shafts are starting to feel a bit heavy for me though the control I get with this shaft is nothing short of phenomenal.   

On 2/2/2020 at 4:42 AM, nobmontana said:

Unfortunately never tried the PRGR RS FW so I can't really speak to that.  I don't have an issue launching the ball with the Modart MA01F.   It has a shallow enough face that it can pick the ball up from the turf.   But compared to more modern Ti heads,  I do think the trajectory is more penetrating when you compare like for like lofts. 

For instance my 13 deg JBeam G-FW which is a full Ti head,  launch is about there same of slightly higher than the MA01F.    This is likely due to the lower CG that Ti FW are known for.  They are just easier to launch than all steel heads which have higher CG.   You can also see that Modart has a longer hosel compared to more modern FW geared for forgiveness which typically indicates a higher CG 

If the MA01F had a deeper face, it would not be useable for me.   The compact shape looks a bit intimidating at first but after a few shots, you realize that the shallow face helps a lot with forgiveness.   I have a Loop FW Seven shaft in the Modart currently but considering trying the new FW Six TS this year.  70+g FW shafts are starting to feel a bit heavy for me though the control I get with this shaft is nothing short of phenomenal.   

Thanks! When you mention the cup face for MA01F 14*, I presume it’s similar materials but shape of the face is different? What would you say is the difference between the 14* and 16* and what kind of users are each geared to respectively? Cheers

On 2/1/2020 at 5:48 AM, Oznek said:

Wow, thanks loads for the detailed reply! That’s why we all love this community...

am a single handicap but fw3 is definitely my weakest club. Thinking of trying the MA01F or Grandista RS-F .. how would you rate both in terms of off the deck in the air, hitting in straight and forgiveness? Those would be my priorities to on my home course to get as close as possible on those long par 5s and occasionally (really rarely actuallly) off the tee. I always try to play a fade for my woods and keep it one side of the fairway...

I actually do play my 3fw off of lots of par 4 tees because I tend to hit the fairway much more often and don't lose much in terms of distance because I hit it well, whereas I'm not as good with my driver. The two 3fw's you're talking about, the MA01F and RS-F, are two of my favorite 3fw's ever.

The RS-F is the one I have used the most, it has great feel and sound with a nice soft crunch because of the DAT55G face. The face is shallow and forgiving, very easy to hit straight and work. For off the deck it has the exact type of rounded shape at the bottom that I like because it makes me feel like I can just scoop the ball right off the ground, plus the footprint is nice and compact which I also prefer (I think 160cc).

The MA01F I have used much less, but I have still used it a bit. I also like this one a great deal, and it is in a few ways similar to the RS-F. It also has a nice shape at address and compact footprint, but the MA01F has even less volume (I think 156cc), which I really love and especially on a shallow faced fw. The face is also nice and shallow, but from address it appears a little less rounded at the bottom. The shape is a little bit of a flatter oval at the bottom and it looks perfect with the overall shape of the head, when you stand at address the whole shape makes you feel like you can murder the ball. The ball coming off the face also has a very pleasing feel and sound, but it is a different type of pleasing than the RS-F because it is thin 455 steel instead of DAT55G titanium, sound is a lower pitch and feel is just a little more firm but still nice. But with regard to what you're looking for.. it is an excellent wood for playing off the deck, I can't think of anything that I would pick over it if I needed to pull off a wood shot from a tight lie. It is nice and easy to get the ball in the air, easy to hit straight, and also forgiving because of its cleverly shaped shallow face. 

So I hope this helped but unfortunately I don't know if I can recommend one over the other because I like them both so much. Choosing one would be a total matter of preference because they both perform very similarly. In terms of performance I only think the MA01F would be better to hit off tight lies and might be a little more controllable off the deck. The best thing I can recommend is to make sure whichever head you pick is put on a shaft that fits you well because if you do then I think either of them will perform quite well. 

face deep or shallow and the size of the head matters for the player.

Ryoma for example.  super forgiving and long but if your a shallow face player you may hit something like the Yamaha or Crazy longer.  similar story very much to super egg FW by PRGR.

I love MA01F and H.  distance is no good,  it's straight and low though with plenty roll,  keeps me out of trouble.

one mans longest is not another mans.  depends on how we make contact and more.

JDM Fairway woods are so hard to buy without trying or seeing it in person.   I do not like the shallow face, but Ryoma F5 will stay in my bag. 

I wish I can find a solid 3 or 4 wood that I can tee off with as well as play off the deck.   

I have a brand new Exotics 3w from a couple years ago that has an SP700 face, so it’s quality beta titanium like a JDM wood. The face isn’t too shallow so I think it’s good for off the deck and the tee. 

B9538589-FCD4-4422-8E24-5A438DD2164A.jpeg

5AA902CD-3E7E-463B-95AA-1E02EDD2A91A.jpeg

21 hours ago, gregoire56 said:

I have a brand new Exotics 3w from a couple years ago that has an SP700 face, so it’s quality beta titanium like a JDM wood. The face isn’t too shallow so I think it’s good for off the deck and the tee. 

B9538589-FCD4-4422-8E24-5A438DD2164A.jpeg

5AA902CD-3E7E-463B-95AA-1E02EDD2A91A.jpeg

Owned it for many years and sold them all.  I currently have EX9 Tour and EX10 Beta 

Gamed the CB4 for a while.  I thought the face was a bit too deep for hitting it off the deck.  Was great off the tee.   The Ti face was very hot.  

But after trying the AF-202HT, which as you all know has one of the shallowest face on a 3wd. My jaw dropped with how easy it was to hit it off the deck!

I have been using shallow faced fairways ever since.   Deep faced FW just isn't forgiving enough for me. 

I agree, Nob. I’m not a big fan of the deep faced FWs. The exceptions to this rule are the AF-203 and the Nakashima NP-1

Been struggling to find the right 5W last 2 years.   18/19 degree launch too high usually.  Went to a couple of 17 degree last year (Proceed and Yamaha).  Picked up a 2013 Egg 5W this year, which is 18 degree but rumored to be very long.   Has been a bit erratic so far.  Had a 16 degree 3W sitting on the shelf for a couple of years, a SYB W422V.  Figured I would put a short stiff shaft on it, ease off the swing speed a bit, shorten the swing slightly, and try it as a 5W replacement.  Working quite well so far.  Square face, large 202cc, but shallow enough face not to be a problem.