top5 wedges:

supo

no  real order,  just the best ive played as far as I can remember

tourstage x wedge  black.  2015ish

fourteen mt 28 protos 2004ish

Yamaha black raw. 2008 ish

prgr rs  nabla( yes amazing these made it , but I just hit em so well bec they are TINY!)  2015

yonex ezone 2010 ish

had to  leave a gamut of wedges out but  wheni  just thought and wrote these we re thones that straight away jumped into my head.

***the tourstage bec they are THE most pear shaped wedges u can get ur hands on, they don't spin like a few others, they are UBER soft (tanks mr endo) and I can do anything  with them... anything form anywhere they launch  very high  so I  have to re think distance with them, eps wit h the modus stx (modus 105 prtos ) in them   these are as theatrical as a wedge comes, make no mistake nothing ...... NOTHING out perfeoms these if u like to get funky and not just point shoot.

***Fourteen mt 28 protos, well  as much as the TS fell like marshmallows these are the polar opposite.similar pear shape but a slightly  longer thinner  design. these are harsh  for feel, the steel is molybdendum( hope that right) something or other and  its TAUGHT.. bending these is a no go.

these are almost indestructible , they look hard they are hard and the grooves are like vampire teeth, these grip and rip, back in the day when thye were legal they were the absolte top of the wedge tree, limited to 1400   sets  I was lucky enough o get hold of 3 of these , one of which I lost he foookeeeen sw (grr!!!)  but they are porb my fave wedges of all time. when the ground is short and hard pan these are no brainers to take out. again the ability to wiz em around is easy, not as easy as the TS but they are second only just.

***Yamaha black raw. legal spin monsters. these , especially the 52 rips ball up and moves about like a top. larger wedges, with a nice leading edge tho to grip it moreand making clippin it simpler. pretty soft feel. and a really hearty all rounder, not super workable   like aboves , but  not impossible .launch low so can go a  lower kick shaft  for more  height  or some true temper monaccos and  just drill it  uber low and piercing straight at the pin!, game these a ton in the wind and they don't  let me down, once again the y look fantastic as well!

****pr-gr  rs nabls, I have about 10 sets of different prgr wedges  from about 15yr  ago till now and these one form a cpl of yrs ago have usurped them all.very small compact head . semi pear shape but not really. tiny thin sole but a thick chunky top line and a nice jet black looks, launch is pretty mid with NS 125w  wedge shafts  and they can be worked pretty easily due to sole thinness. Only semi detractor is they don't really look  too great close to the green for flops bec of the thickness of them the high top flip doesn't really inspire as much confidence as with the others, hence ill always game these with a  thin  LW with a rounded wide sole.  for close chips from around the green to bump and run these are numero uno,, and by a mile! my short game chips have improved out of sight with these in the bag.  In comp these have gone to no 1s.Hard to take that away.

****yonex ezone forged, by sihinagawa for Ryo ishikawa before he sold out and became shiiiit with kallawaaaay klubbz.not dissimilar to the fourteen mt28s but with more tech,  a double step back grind makes for great punch when going hard, a thin topline makes clipping a joy and the  semi wide rounded sole makes for a great versatlility, you can do any thing with these as well, but they excel  for precise  really good wedge players.

that's my list .

notable close calls are

syard bolds

sky dream jump

mizuno 17

bridgestone  2019

Yamaha 2011

prgr LED

yururi 1.618

20190912_152826.jpg

20190912_152621.jpg

20190912_194044.jpg

Edited by supo

My list is not all JDM but here goes:

1) Cleveland Classics 485 Tour Edition becu. Super small, spinny, soft and pretty.

2) SDJ proto 115. Also small, no frills, very dense. Easy to get along with. Look perfect over the ball. If anyone has a 58/9 for sale - lmk.

3) RC 6150. Love the straight leading edge. Rips covers off the balls (good and bad). Very versatile. 

4) YuRuRi raw gekku. The 45* is so sharp. Rips through thick and wet rough better than anything else I’ve tried.

5) The hand made Ernie Vadersen Snake Eyes with the long hosel. Have one left but went through a few in college. Great designs.

Honorary mention: Well, the Ping Eye 2+ 60* is the easiest wedge ever made for chipping/pitching from tight lies. Has earned a place on my list.

Seven ST

Crazy CRZ Tour

PRGR iD nabla Tour

S-Yard Bold

Yururi Raw Gekku

honorable mentions: Titleist Vokey SM5 60* L grind - the shape and grind of this wedge is off the charts, only 4* bounce and able to be played wide open for some crazy shots around the green, seems even Titleist has done away with this grind though and I'll never understand why 

Have not been much of a wedge guy but I really like the Miura S-01 and S-01 Tours.  

Currently also using Cleveland Japan RTX 2.0 Precision Forged wedges which were designed in collaboration with Hideki Matsuyama.

Very sharp looking, ver soft and very spinny!   The shape blends in nicely with the rest of the irons.   Probably not the most forgiving though... 

Will also be exploring Cleveland Japan RTX 4 Forged wedges soon.  I think these will be more forgiving. 

for me it will be difficult to do a top 5 as i was always not sure about my wedges but I could give a top 3 , and I could play those 3 without thinking 

1 : Seven original

2 : A-grind black 

3 : miura K-Grind 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, bk24bk said:

I need a 52-53 and 58-59 that really spin the ball on short and half shots.  Who has some suggestions?  I don’t need them with conforming grooves as I am just a weekend hacker.  Thanks!

The S-Yard Bold is a really good option and it is conforming but spins like non-conforming