WRONG CLUB SPECS = TSG BST death!

Cmon... seriously  These SHUD be known by the seller. its your club.

how is possible that  that time and again  BST posts are showing up with random  "10* XXX driver with YYYshaft  s flex.   $XXX, that's  it

This  gives members all the confidence to trade  somewhat  akin to expecting and unbiased  democratic election in some  fictitious dictatorial country  out of a Louis De Bernier  novel.

Granted for sure ive been known to be lazy  on occasions , no ones perfect  and I have had to apologise  and  refund or offer to refund , simply bec  i let the   rest of the field  bring my judgement into question  and I got slack. im not 100% perfect  by any means ,  I had a  shocker with   of all people NOBS a long while ago with a set of  irons that  I simply didint check thoroughly enough  before sending out  and was embarased to learn that id overlooked  a pretty obvious chink in a 5 iron, NOBS was gracious enough to  realize it was an over look on my part  but STILL  one that shud never have occurred In the first place and to which im eternally  embarrassed  by !

Cllubs are  on sold here  that  are  simply  random  pieces    from  the "auction sites "that were either  wrongly listed , incorrectly assmed to be some  loft/lie/weight they are NOT ,or  simply  the seller has  no clue  bec it was  bought sight unseen and moving it along. bec it didn't  fit!

Ive received several pieces of the years that are simply  massively WRONG.

jbeam, heads that are 0.5* closed are listed as flat to 0.5* open.  bec they don't print the  loft on them are prime examples.

3or 4  times ive been on the receiving  end of these  driver heads and while   I fully trust and believe the seller is  innocently ignorant of the  mistake at the time  it wasted  so much time and money resending  or   on selling  the CORRECTLY  listed  item .

its NOT  the buyers  job to check  specs  later on ,  its the sellers to make sure they don't go out  WRONG  ( note to self !)

shafts that are not known if they have been tipped any by how much ( how that's is even possible I have no idea) but its so common its now stock acceptance  IMO .

That's totally ......unnaccapetale ,, if you don't know STATE that in the post  and take what u get for them  

or   better still  get it cpm'd.......easy fix!

Say where  got the club... form a member here ..... from the shop direct.... from the dodgee inet site that shells out unknown specs at 1/4 the normal price!

At least then members  will prob  make a decision based on  fact and  decide is the piece is a quality piece ( and  lowball anyway) or a random thing and lowball massively.

I get 95% of my stuff  from shops IN TOKYO ive  seen and handled and chad checked  prior to buying and  from  ex- pros ,

then I get them re HAND MADE by the best builder in japan if required  NOT IN A BACKYARD CHOP SHOP!

Then ill  list accordingly  and offer exact specs when required  when I feel like a change and on sell them.

IE    IMO   a post shud look something like this

TM pos  best ever longest distance  DRIVER

--750cc  diver.

--49 inch  x 280g 

--head weight  175g   ,  face angle (fa)  2.5* closed .

--sloppy jalopy  promodel shaft @ 55g stiff regular  flex ,  tipped 1/4 inch  from instaliation BRAND NEW  to me )   ,  with XXX grip.

$ free to good home, shipping included in price.!

original piece to me  was  from tourspecgolf  /   yahoo acution /   ebay  (how and why  that wud ever  happen alarms  me!!! ) 

then it cant hurt to give a brief synopsis of tis playing  characterisitcs. after all its YOUR club you shud have a clue about its pros cons or why wud it be for sale!!!!!????

SHAFT :    BNTM , now a 2 time pull , has been pulled   professionally  both times   OR pulled once by me in the mancave using XXX machine etcetc

XXX  irons , stock loft lie. pw @ 46*   4* down to 4i and 3i at 3*   5i @ 37.75 inch and accordingly 1/2  down inch
stock shafts   from shop not redone.

or

XXX iron set RE shafted   by myself In the back yard using a iron and some chewing gum  and hard yakka , oh and  an anvil+  hammer .

or 

REshated  from an industry professional  to exacting specs available  upon request.

this isn't hard its simple  and shud be excepted by us as the norm im sure there s a wealth of similar minded folk that are   over  being expected to give away professionally made gear bec.  some  "other guy" sold a set like it   3 weeks ago for 1/2 the price, oh but it was 6/9  not 3/pw  and different shafts and the wrong model and  left handed  but apart from that   exactly  the same , match the price!

LIST where u got the things  from and expect the  savage lowball  discount accordingly  if its  " specs unknown"  .

DONT presume  the sum of the parts  equals the whole  . I for one get mine PROFESSSIONALY  " re made".  100% of the time.  not hacked together hotchpotch!

Fess up if its a POS or not then we may get back to some active trading with confidence again on here

pls......................

JOIN in this discussion so we can get back to a clean fresh TSG  and up the game , other wise this site is  dead!

Edited by supo

• 9 months later...

How people do their BST is largely reflective of how they are as a person. If you can't be bothered to put in the effort to provide a little bit of customer service to make it a positive buying experience then DON'T sell on BST.

I'd always say transparency is key, list all the info you have on the club and take as many photos as possible.

Be responsive to buyer inquiries and promptly ship out and provide tacking number, rather than taking eons to process the transaction then comming up with lame excuses for the delay (and sometimes not even acknowledging the lateness!)

I understand not everyone is going to have the tools or knowledge to properly measure the club specs, but at least be honest about what you do know and don't  know so buyer can make an informed decision!

Maybe there needs to be a additonal requrements for BST as follows:

1) List where you got the club from. If you're the original owner it helps to include a photo of the invoice/bill of sale.  And if bought used and from a TSG member include that info too as there might already be info included about the club from the original BST thread.

2) Outline any modification/repair history on the club since your purchase. Include who performed the work (OEM / Clubmaker / DIY) and why (change after a fitting, trying a new combo, repair after damage...)

3) Advise whether the specs advertised is just the printed specs on the club or OEM specs listed on a website or you actually had it measured recently by who and when.

4) At least 1 photo of the club/shaft should be taken next to a 48 inch ruler so we can visuslly verify the length, including the measurement from the tip or butt end of the shaft to the shaft label/graphic as it usually gives an indication if there was tipping or butt trimming/extension.

5) Unrelated to topic more of a rant - if you don't want to pay Paypal selling fees then incude the 2.9% on top of your asking price. Don't ask the buyer to gift you the money as it offers zero protection should the transaction go south. Besides, Paypal provided you a service to get you your money, why should you feel entitled to skip the fees?

Edited by neova

nice reply.

ive been, as i said guilty of all sorts of s**tty efforts and response at times, but i do try for the most part do make  sure the info i give is spot on, i get all my work done by one guy ( and he truely is  THE best guy)  for the last 15+yrs so im 100% confident  in my clubs. 

100%

occasionally i get a rogie in i dont know but i bought it clean  NOT from some fktrad site and just pass it along so i guess im a bit more anal than most bec ilive inthe land of the rising  JDM golfclub  world and i know exactly where it was from.

jsut do the right thing and itll reinvigorate, seems to be way more active recently anyway.

and poke  the  lowballings in the WRX hole!

I'm not without fault either but any mistakes were due soley to not knowing or forgetting to check, but never intentional.

In my early days of selling golf clubs that I bought used and don't know the history on, my buyers came back with horror stories of: finding a 4 inch drive shaft extension after pulling the grip; a 132g DG X100 iron set with 109g S300 SL labels, etc.... and each time I had to offer discount or take the club back losing shipping both ways...

I started learning more about club fitting then club making probably 12 years ago and I would never sell my clubmaking experiments to anyone because of the damage to shaft tips from improper pulls with heads potentially flying off on next swing. I have junked many shafts as a result but it was worth the price to finally learn how to do things properly and allows me greater flexibility to acquire any club I want and don't have to wait for an exact match. 

I do have a clubmaker i work with but only for loft lie adjustments as i don't want to spend $1000 for a tool i use a coupe timed a year.

I also learned there are things you just don't do or it's not worth it:

- pulling grips (unless its a Pure grip that uses airgun installstion)

- pulling graphite shafts without a shaft puller under very low heat

- pulling adaptors (why can't bloody OEMs make metal furrels so it doesn't melt???)

- shims to fit narrow shafts into wider hosel or worst > reaming hosel larger to fit wide tipped shafts 

- shaft extentions more than 1". I might be a hypocrite here as I temporarily have 2.5" extentions on a few of my driver shafts while shopping for new ones. These shafts were damaged during  normal play snd and tip cracked soi repaired them. Difference here is that i use a broken graphite shaft to build the butt extention and not those plastic kits and so it's stronger. And i only use it for myself and i remove the extension and sell it as a FW shaft tipped from a damaged driver shaft so i provide full disclosure.

That said, right now I'm more of a hoarder on TSG (all buy, no sell) but one day when i need unload my gear it will have all the proper data provided, and transparency on what info I don't have.

Regarding clubs info/specs, I have to disagree with the above posters. If you're interested in a club for sale then I think the onus is on the buyer to ask the questions if the answers aren't already within the for sale advert. As a seller, we don't always have the info to hand, certainly if it was a used club that you'd bought from someone or somewhere else, but yes you have to provide as much info as you know/are aware of. Yes some of the gear is fairly expensive, but it's not a car or a house, so let's not get toooooo anal about it.

I don't think its anal at all. While buyer beware is the norm we also can't assume every buyer is a club expert and know what to ask for.

A used golf club could have a lot of damage / repairs / modification done that cannot be seen unless you know what to look for.

All i think we're saying is if you bought a used club share as much info as you can, including info you don't have or didnt verify.

Edited by neova

anal?

sorry but this is what hhis forum   is for. avid club guys trading sharing info and.clubs with truisted  honest others.

if u dont care  enough to help buyers shud we also  have a SPAM bst secton for those that dont give a toss?

im sick and tired  of having d  quality pieces diluted  with crap ,  a ton of gear on  here is  super rare one offs, andi it doesnt take.much effort to get the  damn specs.

• 2 weeks later...

Simple.

If you dont like the add or trust the description dont buy the item.

If you like the add and need more info just ask the question...Nothn wrong with a bit of communication back and forth before the sale. 

With Ian on this one...but it was another one of your entertaining rants Stew 😃....with maybe 1 point that had merit...

9 hours ago, hutchy said:

Simple.

If you dont like the add or trust the description dont buy the item.

If you like the add and need more info just ask the question...Nothn wrong with a bit of communication back and forth before the sale. 

With Ian on this one...but it was another one of your entertaining rants Stew 😃....with maybe 1 point that had merit...

Be nice 😉 I think that discussing the topic is in order. Both from an entertaining perspective and an informative/discussion one.

On 8/25/2020 at 11:05 PM, bngolfer said:

Be nice 😉 I think that discussing the topic is in order. Both from an entertaining perspective and an informative/discussion one.

:tsg_smiley_angel: Always mate. Bit of tongue in cheek. 😉

Any topic has merit. 

Edited by hutchy