Do we actually need 14 clubs?

nobmontana

Late this Summer I acquired a Shinagawa "split set" MB irons which consisted of 5 irons named 'long', 'mid', 'short', 'pitch' and 'sand.'   Well last weekend, on Veterans Day,  I decided to take this set out for a round at a short and narrow local course. Ended up 3 over par on a par 69.   Not bad ...

My set make up that day: 

Grandista RS-D 9 deg / Loop GK 

Modart MA01F 14 deg / Loop FW Seven

Modart MA01H 19 deg / Crazy STP 85 

Shinagawa Spilt Set / AMT Tour White S200

Gold's Factory T-102 Prototype

(9 clubs)  

On some of the shots,  I had to choke down and hit 3/4 shots etc... trying to make the most out of the clubs I had. 

And it worked out pretty good.  When I hit the Shinagawa "Long"  irons, well it was really really satisfying as they are essentially a 5 iron in blade form. 

Only issue I have with the split set were with the wedges.... just a bit too bulky.   Next time around I will replace the Pitch (50) and Sand (58)  with my Matsuyama Cleveland 588 RTX2.0 50, 54 and 58.    Will increase the set to 10 cubs but still much lighter to haul around! 🙂  

"The Walking Golfers Society"  watch out!  Here I come!!

i use about 20ona nirmal round 

usually 2drivers

3fwds

ute

7irons

3wedges

3  or.4 putters.

i try and just use 3 now and go 6holes.each.

9clubs in total.???!?!?!!?!!!!!??!

ok.

1+high loft driver like say my kamui pro kp07/ diamana x60x   10.5*

2-rc bbd type s  17* fw diamaana aliislei83s

3-honma di 21*

4-6i

5-7i

6-8i

7-pw

8-56*sw

9- putter.

yea can be done, but rather 20!

Edited by supo

yea can be done, but rather 20!  

I would hate it if I had to carry and walk 20 clubs in my bag!!   🙂  

I’ve played a few marathon golf events. One was 72 holes walking (Sweden, sun barely sets in the summer) in one day but most have been 54. 7 clubs, walk, carry. I shot 67 in the third round once (par 71) but that is 22 years ago 😂

If I were doing a 7-club bag today it would be:

10.5* driver or 13* 3-wood 

20/21* di

6-iron

8-iron

50*

60*

putter

So, no, we don’t need 14 clubs. We need imagination. Playing with 3/5/7 clubs from time to time really helps in that dept.

like that idea.

to be honest

howmany thimes  do  u use all the clubs in yr bag any way ?

I played 27 yesterday and ran thru it

hit  driver,3w,4w,di,5i,6i,7y,pw.56/60Z
so the 4, 8 , 9 and 52  went unused over 27 holes .

horse for courses  for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

thats   certainly true

58 lw

53gw

48pw

22 di ute long iron 

16* alt  fw wood

10driver

putter x2

yea  i cud easily.work with this set  upwould take that im between iron nonsnense thunkin g out out  my mind str8 away

Wait! Trevino taped a Dr Pepper pop bottle to a stick and played golf with it. 

One of my favorite flicks

• 5 months later...

nailed this.

been considering  this for a while.

13* .solid contacts  2w / diamana stinger.

17* saqra ute/ ns 125s

21* honama twu di

6i 30* /8i 38*/pw46*/ sw56*

putter

if only  7 irons..then i cud

drop  the ute .

2wood off the tee and deck , no worries.

driving iron for longer   par 3s  

use ur mind for the rest.

love. to  design a  7club  set actually.

6and 8 bit bigger  head like an epon af tour.

pw like a honama tw 727 sw has to be prerty versatile... tourstage x wedge black cud do it well. make the wedge 55* .

sunday beer golf 12 holes.

here it is

s/c12*2w  diamana stinger 70s

honma.21* di stock 85s

callaway tour authentics extra bounce low offset 6i  ns sp blue stiff.

masda mb8i ns st x

honama tw727m  ns 125s

tourstage x wedge 56*  ns st x

benock tempest.

driver /fw  good enough to chase long  holes and no ballooon of the tee.

honma di for rescue 

super peebing blue in 6i for strength and straightness.

st (105) in tje rest for higher shot versatility bec there.will be  little.point shoot id imagine....

love.to play this!

20200506_144126.jpg

20200506_144016.jpg

Edited by supo

I changed the gaps from 8iron up from 4 degrees, to 5 degrees, which allowed me to lose 1 club, so that often I only carry 13.

was 38,42,46,50,54,58  

now 38,43,48,53,58

tossed out the PW which is half useless being the same length as GW- really,  whats the point.

Would like to do the same for longer irons but that means bending them too much or dropping one stuffing up weight progressions, so not really practical in a 4 iron up configuration.  If a player had only 6 iron up in irons it would be a peice of cake to have 12 clubs and no gaps.

* sorry supo, but I didnt steal this idea from you,  I arranged this a year ago,  but great minds think alike hey!

Edited by theblake

hhhaaah  I only thought  of it recently.

it  interesting bec I agree the PW is th e s**ttiest club in every  CB bag. it never fits right, never sits right, wedges SHUD be wedges not some fkkn random 46*  or lower THESE DAYS lofted mute CLUB .. when they were all 48* it was even worse.!

I went thru my  iron sets and the only PW  that I like are on the  Mbs,,  A pW   just doesn't  work on cavity backs for me..

ive got a cpl of 48* wedges proper that I cant use bec the modern  lofts mean the 9* is at 41-42* and going to 48* as the next step is half a club flight for me, I have  shocking distance  with my wedges.. my 52*  goes 105 yards  totally maxed out and my 56* NOT EVEN CLOSE to 100.

with the  46* PW I can get that to 115  or the 48*  110yards.  the 9  tho I can get out   to  130yards  maxed out.

I guess if I bent the 9 to 43 then  its possible to do the gap distance from 8/9 is irrelevant   compared to the  accuracy form 9 to pw where  it counts more.

hmmmmmmmmmm

think I just solved my dilemma.

cheers Mr Blake,

I've re-shafted the Shinagawa split set with some 75g MMT shafts. 

Have not hit them yet but looking forward to it!! 

• 2 months later...

I've been toying with the idea to build a bag specifically with less than 10 clubs for a couple reason:

1) Sometimes golf gets too complicated when we have too many specific clubs for each and every shot! I remember learning golf with just a PW and hit all of the shots around the greens!

2) it would make walking 18 holes a lot easier 

3) I normally play blades in my irons and wanted to include a CB set

4) I wanted to try graphite iron shafts but don't want to reshaft my gamers 

5) I want to keep a set in the trunk of my sports car so I could hit the range/course anytime (Pre-Coivd idea)

6) I wanted to have a travel set to bring on vacation as I don't want to risk losing/damaging my gamers 

With that in mind, I started with build earlier in 2020 wity the following 10 clubs:

-Adidas Adizero Stand Bag (2.8lbs)

-Epon AF102 9.5° @43.5" / Kai'li 70x

-RomaRo Type R UT 3/21° / Kai'li 80x

-Fourteen TC888 5-9i / Modus 120s

-Titleist SM7 46° / DG Wedge

-Seven OG Wedge 56° / PX6 Satin (8i)

I've played a couple rounds with this setup from the shortest tees (5500 yards) to Championship tees (7100 yards) and it was a lot of fun!

Now I'm thinking of rebuilding this set to have: Driver, 7w, 5h, 6-PW, 52/58, putter, with graphite shafts in the irons and wedges 😃

20191110_123812.jpg

Edited by neova

interesting shaft set up  70 and 80 x  in  the woods and modus 120s in  irons . tight and  str8 for woods , a bit of flex and distance in irons the thinking ? '

23 minutes ago, supo said:

interesting shaft set up  70 and 80 x  in  the woods and modus 120s in  irons . tight and  str8 for woods , a bit of flex and distance in irons the thinking ? '

I've never played x flex in irons or wedges beofre, as I find i don't swing aggressive enough to need it for irons which is for accuracy.

You're right i need s flex at regular weight (120g) to hit my normal distance otherwise I won't be getting the required height on my irons to hold greens.

But I'm experimenting with Recoil 95s for the next build and got both F4 and F5 to try out. I think 20g lighte than what I'm used to it warrants a try with the F5 flex. The reason I choose 95 vs 110 is because I had build a 3 driving iron with a 95x and it is my favorite club so I'm thinking I could game 95 in the rest of the irons. But I'm going with 110 On the wedges as i need some weight 

I'm also dropping the 70x in driver as I only needed the weight for a 43.5" setup but will go back ro 44.75 or 45 with a 60x as I find i need the length to swing it like a driver because the shorter length tempts me to hit down on it like a FW

The reality is I got a rotator cuff injury in fall of 2018 and never swung the same since. While i refuse to change my gamers right away, I'm slowly entertaining the idea of more forgiving clubs so hence this side experiment.

goit it..

ive moved to 60X  in some drivers with some good success.  and lighter irons shafts like 120x  or 105x  in NS  shafts with some good success as well.

wedges im  going to  try  a   different route  ive been  playing 125s ox x  in wedges for eons but got some super peening orange in  my Yamaha raws  recently and am LOLVING  those above all others,   soim   gonan try to ease off a tad as well see if that helps any.

Actually a pretty common set up with some top Japanese Pros. 

Matsuyama has 70TX or 80TX in driver and woods,  but uses DG S400 in irons. 

I think Kodaira has a similar set up as well.  

My very first JDM forged irons were Yonex Nextage NanoV Forged  ( "not" the Tour version )  with DG TI S400 ... 

And 'til this day I am seeking that same feel at impact where some shots felt like I absolutely hit nothing!! 

Got pretty close with my current Seven CB Proto / DG AMT Tour White S300 combo,    but not on the longer irons. 

I can't do the heavy shafts on longer irons anymore.  don't have enough power to swing them!    So the AMT with lighter long shafts helps a lot.    

Call me crazy, but my next build will have the DG Tour Issue AMT S400.  :)     They just work well for my swing. 

My belief is that the wall thickness of steel shafts translate into more dense muted feel at impact.   Thicker steel wall =  better feel at impact (for me.) 

Modern steel shafts (especially the light weight ones)  have sort of a hollow feel at impact in my opinion unless you go with a very soft flex. 

A couple of exceptions or me have been the Modus 120 S  and the NS950GH S,  those can feel equally as good as the original DGs.    

my first set were prgr data 811  with M43 ns  which  are HUMONGOUS  and STILL  prob my all time  fave cavity. pretty sure ive  got a set tucked away somewhere at home , I bought and sold these multiple times over the years, every time I played shiiiit I retook them out, I cant believe the difference in  size to what I play now.

ive had  my best  ever ball striking  round  with these at  my club in narita mid winter  greens were frozen  about 15 yrs ago, didn't miss a green all day so I kept a set for posterity.

my first foray into heavy steel were a set of custom miura  cb1006 / DG S400 he MADE me go  with ,  Talk about dull the heads and ruin a shot when u missed it,when I pured it yea it worked superbly  well   for  what u said Nobs   but miss it slightly and u know about it!!!!! 

my arms ended up like popeyes .

Absolutelly hated that set . so I traded them   for  a set with of  ns 1050x  in them,  you  wanna see  a change in attitude to clubs..  played those for years  till another mate nicked em off me .. then I went to ISM blades,  best were a  NS Sp orange my mate litrerally stole off me on hole 1 of a round  I was playing  with him, he hit one 6 iron and sid these are MINE  bid me 250us over my buy price  ,  we swapped irons that day on the 2nd tee and  I went and ordered a diff set.

hahahhaahahaah  just reminding myself  what a pathetic  hopless joke its all  become  now days with the entiled  grommets  thinking they get Merceds AMGS  for skoda prices .

ohhhhhhhhhh I do  long  for a return to the salad dayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyys

Edited by supo