Why do I do this? .... :) Some PRGR RS & RS-F driver heads arriving soon.

nobmontana

I do this in the Winter months were I have minimal golf play time. This time around I had some wisdom tooth extraction done last week so I can't play for the next couple of weeks.   (so the doctor says)     Anyway, "out of pure boredom.. "   I picked up some previous Gen PRGR RS Drivers to try out later this winter. 

While I was surfing on the auction sites,  I found an original 2016 RS-F 9.5  (now deemed illegal by the R&A as many of you know)  that was in mint condition so I could not resist.  How often do you see a driver that a JDM brand released as "conforming" but later got caught as being "over the limit?"    It's so rare.... :)   This is the one with the original silver and black graphics that PRGR recalled and replaced for most customers.  I'm sure they've tried their best to retrieve all that was sold on the market but people like me who's obsessed with rare golf clubs probably had to keep the originals just for the sake of its rarity.  Even after the 2017 and 2018 model release,  PRGR fanatics in Japan still talk about how the original RS-F was the most iconic and legendary in terms of fast ball speeds and a stand out for "Wow" factor among modern JDM drivers.  PGA Tour Pro Satoshi Kodaira as of early 2019 was still bagging the 2016 RS-F prototype driver.   This will be added to my collection of clubs that I likely won't use.      

Since won't be gaming the 2016 RS-F...  I decided to pick up a couple of the 2017 model heads which seemed more practical and playable.    Found a 2017 RS-F 9.5 and a 2017 RS 10.5  heads only.  The 10.5 RS may be a bit too high launching for me but I wanted to try. The 2017 RS and RS-F are supposedly lower launching compared to the 2018 version. 

While I have tried the 2017 RS and RS-F drivers in the past, I have never gamed them for extended period of time. This would be a good opportunity to experience how good they really are.   If I decide to bag these drivers, I may have to pursue an all PRGR bag....   Stay tuned. 

nobs I found htose heads to be low, the stock diamana blue 60s in them didn't help get the ball airborn much at all. they were long al right.

the pro  black one was a beauty but it wasn't that easy to hit, not overly forgiving.

cant wait to hear ur thoughts on them, I passed THEM OVER IN FAVOUR  OF THE  older egg models   I already have.

49 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

Should have let me know, I've got a pristine 2016 version 

I can't read minds you know....  🙂    If I like them I might reach out to you.  

Your's is a 2016 non conforming 9.5 RS-F ?     

17 minutes ago, nobmontana said:

I can't read minds you know....  🙂    If I like them I might reach out to you.  

Your's is a 2016 non conforming 9.5 RS-F ?     

It is, yes, silver and black instead of the black replacement. It's not going anywhere so don't feel in a rush. 

This is getting crazy... found myself another 2016 RS-F 10.5 loft but this time looks to be a true Prototype ... All black like the replacements. 

And it's definitely a RS-F from the weight config. But the logo only says "RS" (missing an "F")  and some code in place of a serial number on the hosel.

They look to be the same as some pre-production 2016 Prototype units based on pictures I've found online.    Will post pics once I have it.  

While my PRGR RS urge is going strong....  I looked at possibly trying a Tour AD QuattroTech shaft that PRGR Staff player Kodaira has been using all his career.  

But it looks like the shaft is more of a mid-low kick shaft with very stiff butt section.    Well that is opposite to what I usually use.... so maybe not. 

haha..  u looked at the pt shaft from GD ?
 that is such a medium shaft.  absolutely nothing  i can find about it that i dont enjoy. its a little  bit  older now,  as well,  shingo was using it  for.a.while.  and another  one is then2016 quadra  ptv-nx  got that in my astro tour and I cant get it out of the bag~ ! . 

20200108_095441.jpg

Edited by supo

7 hours ago, nobmontana said:

While my PRGR RS urge is going strong....  I looked at possibly trying a Tour AD QuattroTech shaft that PRGR Staff player Kodaira has been using all his career.  

But it looks like the shaft is more of a mid-low kick shaft with very stiff butt section.    Well that is opposite to what I usually use.... so maybe not. 

The Tour AD QuattroTech was a lower kick point shaft and I believe Matt Kuchar used it for a while some time back.  The PT shaft the other poster mentioned was more of a mid launch, mid kick shaft that was very popular in Japan but I don't believe made it to the US.  I have one in an OnOff 358 driver and it's a good performer.

Ended up with the following. 
2017 RS-F 9.5 , 2017 RS 10.5 ,  2018 RS-F 10.5 

Found some very reasonably priced new old stock 2nd Gen Diamanas.  
Ahina, Kaili and Ilima all in 70 S.  
build them to 45.5. 
I think these look so much better than the newer gen shafts.  The ion finishes are so nice. 
Will take em out to the range next weekend. 
(Still recovering from the oral surgery)  

Then I have this sort of special head that is actually a rare find. 

Can someone tell me what's different about this head? 

Very much resembles the replacement to the original non compliant RS-F heads doesn't it?  

Answer in my next post.   🙂

IMG_2776.thumb.jpg.6d7a5197994da7bbe80d9697c0f620e0.jpg

IMG_2779.thumb.jpg.12fcc1815e74f300d60bdba280e08522.jpgIMG_2777.thumb.jpg.7ef886a13be90f7ac203343f848bdbc6.jpgIMG_2778.thumb.jpg.98f8b74b19bf91a3405d0a566fcef48c.jpg

Oh wowzers. Would love to tests those out nob. Loving the older Diamana's too. Kaili is one of my all time favourite shafts.

Difference is that it says RS on the sole but RSf on the face.

Edited by Ian-500

So detail oriented:).    But yes you are correct!! 
also no retail serial number on the hosel end of the head.  
Though I have no way to validate,  I believe this head is a Tour Issued true “prototype” intended for guys like Satoshi Kodaira. 
look up Satoshi Kodaira’s “What’s in the bag”  and you will see his all black Prototype also missing an F on the sole!    
It would also be interesting to know if this head was made before or after the HiCOR issue was found on their 1st gen retail RSF models.   

I'd love to see the ball speeds of PRGR vs some of the bigger name brands.  Yokohama rubber co has some serious tech.

Finally got to try the trio of RS and RS-F drivers today at the range. 

I mostly wanted to get a feel of the differences in trajectory and to see which shaft and head combo works best for me.  

'17 RS 10.5 / Kai'li 70 S / 45.25" / 8g screw in the front heel, 3g screw in back.  

First shot was a rather strong draw,  higher trajectory with pretty good distance.  Sound and feel was not bad at a all.  I think these have 6-4 Ti face with 8-1-1 Ti body. Not quiet but a pretty powerful "thwack" with mixed metallic sound with semi-soft feel.  Kai'li feels a bit stiff on the but section for me.  Mid section flex and kick is nice and tip side firmness was good too.  Got around 70 m/s (156mph) ball speed pretty consistently over about 5-6 shots which is a pretty good number for me.  Unfortunately,  and as I expected,  the trajectory was too high for my liking.  Though I do not have numbers,  it is likely getting around 16 or 17 deg launch angle.  I definitely need 9.5 RS head for this combo to work. 

Moving on!! 

'17 RS-F 9.5 / I'lima 70 S / 45.25" /  8g screw in front toe, 3g screw in back

First thing I noticed was that the sound and feel on this RS-F was slightly quieter and softer feeling at impact.   The feel may all be a product of the shaft too. 

This shaft felt really supple compared to the Kai'li.   The shaft felt flexing and kicking more and doing its work.   The trajectory was mid trajectory and out of the first 5 shots, the first two shots went waaaaay right. One of the big difference between the RS and RS-F is the lie angle.   I think they are 3 deg different.  59 for RS and 56 for RS-F.   also the face angle is more open on the RS-F.  Combined with these specs and weights placed for more fade bias,  I think was the cause of those shots.  

With that in mind,  I tried hitting with a more draw swing and then I started hitting straighter.  Numbers on the device were really similar to the RS.  But because the trajectory was lower,  it looked like it would run out more.  

and finally... 

'18 RS-F 10.5 / A'hina 70 S / 45.25" / 8g screw in front toe, 3g screw in back

As I mentioned,  the RS-F '18 now has a carbon crown construction.   I was eager to know how the sound and feel would be impacted.  I was excited after my first shot because the 2018 RS-F is probably the best sounding and feeling RS ever!!    Softer feel and much better sound compared to the '17 and '16s.   Yet it still has a powerful thwack at impact. 

This '18 RS-F was actually not so fade biased.  It did not go left but it also did not go to the right.   Very neutral.  Another thing I noticed was that the head felt more forgiving and I was hitting it more consistently compared to the other combos.   Coming in to this comparison,  I actually kind of knew that the A'hina was going be the shaft I'd do well with.   The butt section is supple with a very tight feeling tip section.    The trajectory of this combo was just about right.  Not too high and not too low.     

I will next try a Loop GK shaft in this '18 10.5 RS-F.   

As Stu mentioned in his post,  the RS-F in particular just seem to be lower launching heads.  I've never gamed a 10.5 deg head before but for this RS-F 10.5 loft is what I need.  

Great feedback here  Nobs, yea I stand by the fact that it was  bit low.

I liked its  distance , that wasnt in question and I thought it was LONG  but I just cudnt get it go draw with any soaring flight . no matter how high I had the tee so I let it pass.

I liked the huge face on it and small overall look as well.

Ive got and game...  a lot of PRGR drivers and am a big fan of their very non typical design , espcially the egg range, which wasn't aimed at  low cappers but I seriously disagree! the egg7 ((9*) is prob my favourite of them all,  I game that in comps back home on links almost exclusively nowadays (diamana ali islei 80s)  ,prgr  seem to make their woods so neutral  its hard not to have one ........(or4 or 5 ). in your quiver.

based on  your findings, I might  just try and pick a proto up this season and see if I cant make it sing!

I brought out the Proto head today.   It's the all black '16 RS-F in 10.5. 

I think I love this head more than the '17 or '18.  It's not as forgiving and it has a smaller sweet area and the feel and sound at impact is a tad firmer than the newer ones..  

In a way like a 2 stroke motorcycle from yester year with a very narrow powerband but explosive and brutal speed when you middle it.   Very peaky!  I love it. 

At 460cc you would think it would be more forgiving than the 445cc Grandista RS-D but I feel that the Grandista is quite a bit more forgiving.  

I'm gonna put the Loop GK in this '16 RS-F Proto and give it a go.   10.5 is the right loft for me in this '16 RS-F

• 3 months later...

Hey Nob, how is the RS-F 9.5/Speeder 661 combo that you're selling compared to the 10.5/Ahina combo in this thread?

The 2018 RS-F 9.5 is higher launching for a 9.5 deg.   It's a really good head overall but just a but high launching for me. 

Feel at impact is better on the 2018 than the 2016 and the sweet spot is larger for sure. 

The 2016 just has a bit more bite at impact which I like.   2018 is more refined and better mannered. 

I liked them both but chose to keep the 2016.