possible match with a shaft that I've totally overlooked!!

nobmontana

Had some extra time today after dropping off my wife and daughter at an arts and crafts store .... it was right next to the golf shop that I frequently visit... 

So I stopped by to check out a couple of new drivers I was interested in trying... Not to buy but just wanted to experience the new ST200 from Mizuno and Cobra's new SZ drivers with the CNC milled faces.   

ST200G 9.0 + Diamana D+ Limited 60 S

Waaaay open face for me ... could not get the ball to stop fading.   Also while the SAT2041 Beta Ti face felt and sounded very springy,  not really did not reflect in the numbers.   The head just did not feel forgiving and I just could not get good numbers. 

ST200 9.5 + Diamana D+ Limited 60 S

Looked much more neutral at address.   But the rest were really the same in terms of performance.  Just doesn't seem like a good match for me,

Cobra SZ 9.0 + HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 65 6.0 

The CNC face looked very different.  I think they still need to work on some refining especially where the face transitions to the crown.  A bit rough around the edges if you ask me.    Anyway.... I immediately started getting some good numbers.   The back spin numbers were too low for my swing speed.  Was hovering around 1500 to 2000.   Low penetrating trajectory how I liked it.. launch angle a bit low at 11.5 to 12.5 .   Still a bit fade promoting too.   CNC milled face gave very good feedback on centered hits vs off centered hits.   Feel was good.  Soft but not mushy.   a bit more metallic sound and firmer feel compared to the previous F9.  

Cobra SZ Extreme 9.0 + HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 65 6.0 

Bingo!!  Spin 2200 to 2600,  straight to slight draws.   launch angle 14 to 15 and optimal.   Was getting the best carry and total distances on this combo.

Shaft felt a bit stout for me... had to swing a bit harder to feel the head.   a 5.5 flex would probably be perfect. 

Cobra SZ Extreme 9.0 + Rogue 110 MSI (Black?)   

Wanted to see if I can get similar numbers with a different shaft.... nope!  short by ore or less 10 yards. 

So as far as heads go I was more impressed by the Cobra SZ.   CNC Milled face looks like it could use a bit more refinement but it does the job well so far.  While the feel and feedback was actually pretty good relative to the other USDM heads I've tried this year,  I still very much prefer the feel of my Grandista head. Also all the distractions that are happening on the crown with the alignment logos and stripes around the outer edges...... are just plain ugly.   If any of the USDM brands came out with a head with a bonded hosel and plain black with no detractors on the crown,  I might just buy one!! 

I was pleasantly surprised by the HZRDUS Smoke Yellow shafts as it did seem to provide me with extra yardage and very good spin numbers although the overall feel was a bit stout for my taste.   It intrigued me enough to look up some tech details and I learned that the HZRDUS Yellow series are a bit unique in the HZRDUS family in that it has a pretty noticeable softer mid section.   It's designed for players with moderate to smooth transition.  Also a counter balanced weight distribution.   This was actually the first time I got to try a HZRDUS in Yellow.   I've tried the Black and Smoke Black before and every time I tried them I just remember them being too stout and too heavy feeling.   The Smoke Yellow I tried did feel a tad stout but not terrible and it did not feel overly heavy.  My next thought    "I must try this shaft in one of my Grandista heads!!" 

After getting back home and reading up about HZRDUS Yellow for a good couple of hours.  I then went on the auction site and picked up one of the original HZRDUS Yellow Hand Crafted in 5.5 flex.  (All yellow paint!!  Yikes!!)    Will report back on how it goes.   

Edited by nobmontana

👍🏻 trips to the arts and crafts shop are very productive 😂😂😂

So I got my HZRDUS Yellow shaft yesterday and installed it in my Grandista head....   built it initially to 45.75"  to see if I can get more club head speed. 

It's interesting that even with these longer builds.  I hardly see any increase in club head speed from my 45"  build with the same head..... I'm starting to think 45" is just my optimal length no matter what.   Anyway....  the bright yellow shaft is actually very good.  The 5.5 flex I think might be considered Regular or Regular + flex by some but I feel it is similar in stiffness with my Loop GK in SX flex.    While building,  I did see the swing weight effect of the shaft being counterbalanced as advertised.  I was able to go heavier with the weight screws while not going up on swing weight.   313g overall club weight weight at D2.5 for a 45.75" build.. 

A few shots into my range session I noticed that the trajectory looked pretty low spin.   I was hitting it very straight to a mini draw.  Possibly a bit more straighter than my Loop...  (Whaaaaat!?   I know .... )     I also saw maybe 5-7 yards more ( on my Yupitel swing meter ) than my normal distances which I was really happy with .. but I just feel that the longer length is actually getting in the way of swinging faster comfortably...   

After I came home,  I immediately removed the grip and chopped the butt by .5"  I was able to to increase the head weight further to maintain the same swing weight. 

Good thing about these shafts are that they are fairly cheap to experiment!   May try other HZRDUS shafts too.  

I'll take the HZRDUS Yellow out again this afternoon to see how the shorter length works out for me. 

I've always tended to be/try a blue profile, but recently bought something a little more tip stiff and WOW, what a discovery. Diamana W60x is really really stable for me. 4 out of 5 fairways, with the other in the light rough, over 9 holes today. Head is a Callaway Rogue SZ 9.0. Honey moon........