Kyoei Tour Wedge

gregoire56

Kyoei_2020TourWedge6.jpgI expect one of the hottest new products to come out of this virtual 2020 Japan Golf Fair is going to be the new Kyoei Tour wedge. This is Kyoei’s most compact wedge in their line up. They now offer three different wedge models: KK Series, Proto Series, and now the Tour Series. 

Comparing the new Kyoei Wedge to the KK and Proto Series:

• Proto & KK Series – S25C Forged + Precision Pressed. Both share the same slightly oversized mold yet differ from each other in finish, style and sole grind *5-cut vs 3-cut. Offered in 52°/56°/60° lofts.
  • KYOEI TOUR Wedge – S15C Forged. New more compact mold, new polishing technique and with a more traditional wedge sole grind. The new TOUR wedge is offered in new 50°/54°/58° lofts.

Kyoei_2020TourWedge7.jpgTo compare it to the new SM8 Vokey, this new Tour Wedge is first and foremost FORGED instead of cast. The Kyoei Tour is one piece with no internal weighting, it is 100% made and hand-ground in Japan.

The offset is extremely minimal, reaching into onset on the 58°. Special attention was given to the shape and sole design for an ideal turf interaction in most conditions. All three lofts feature relief in both the heel and toe sides with an extra cut away at the leading edge. Kyoei did their best to try to have this wedge perform admirably for both diggers and sweepers. 

This wedge will be great for golfers who desire a more compact head with less offset, more relief for open-face shots, or 50°/54°/58° lofts. This set-up's gapping is perfect for anyone who's already using the KK or Prototype series irons. These KK Tour wedges will appeal to the better players looking for a tour inspired wedge design that looks and feels better than any big brand wedge on the PGA Tour today. 

I was already a huge fan of the products coming from the new Kyoei brand and this wedge is probably my favorite release to-date!

Kyoei_2020TourWedge1.jpg

Kyoei_2020TourWedge8.jpg

Kyoei_2020TourWedge2.jpg

Kyoei_2020TourWedge5.jpg

Kyoei_2020TourWedge4.jpg

Kyoei_2020TourWedge3.jpg

Edited by gregoire56

I have the Kyoei KK and find them more forgiving that the Seven ST.

My question is how do the Kyoei Tour compare to the ST for size, shape, offset and bounce?

Edited by cuistot

KYOEI TOUR vs SEVEN ST.  Very similar but they obviously use different molds.  Seven ST is a hair thicker.

The KK and Proto Series are more forgiving no doubt.

• 3 weeks later...

I think feel would be pretty close.  but if you want super soft feel,  just use low compression balls like Chrome Soft or AVX .  

When you say “ accuracy” of a wedge... what do you actually mean?   Forgiveness?   Consistency in distance?   

For wedges, I feel that “accuracy” is mostly a function of the player and their skills as long as you are using a good quality forged wedge.   

Miura ,  Kyoei ,  Seven are all top notch quality wedges in my opinion.  Would game any of them.    I think the distinction for wedges are shape, finish,  grind,  lie interaction, spin performance and then feel that best matches your preference and the way/style you use your wedges.   

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

So would one say the KK are more forgiving than the Tour wedges? I am currently in the process of being fitted...probably going to go 50,54,58 wedges to go with dual weighted irons.