Putter grip

wedda

Hello everyone,

What is your to-go-to putter grip? 
If you know the weight of the grip please state it as well, prefer lighter grips 50-68 grams

After years of detesting how they looked, when I stumbled on and tried a used putter with a Superstroke Mid Slim (50gm), it felt great as the did the equally ugly or perhaps bizarre Scotty Futura putter it was attached to... the original ,2003, starship enterprise Futura....

the grip material is the standard modern hideous - it allows for nasty graphics but worse will rot and start flaking, falling apart in hot humid Thailand..

So I took a Stanley knfe to it, slit down the seam, ripped that outer layer off, wrapped a couple of layers of 'hockey tape' over the underlast to build it back up again (as the polyurethane or whatever that vile stuff is is quite thick) and then wrapped some Dipell leather bar tape (leftover from bicycle handlebar), and finihsed with some twine to cover and secure the end.

Lovely jubbly.

RJ4L.jpg

4 hours ago, coops1967 said:

After years of detesting how they looked, when I stumbled on and tried a used putter with a Superstroke Mid Slim (50gm), it felt great as the did the equally ugly or perhaps bizarre Scotty Futura putter it was attached to... the original ,2003, starship enterprise Futura....

the grip material is the standard modern hideous - it allows for nasty graphics but worse will rot and start flaking, falling apart in hot humid Thailand..

So I took a Stanley knfe to it, slit down the seam, ripped that outer layer off, wrapped a couple of layers of 'hockey tape' over the underlast to build it back up again (as the polyurethane or whatever that vile stuff is is quite thick) and then wrapped some Dipell leather bar tape (leftover from bicycle handlebar), and finihsed with some twine to cover and secure the end.

Lovely jubbly.

RJ4L.jpg

That sounds like a highly effective grip. However it also sounds like it is WAYYYYY heavier now than when it was a SuperStroke, hockey tape is thick and heavy and I imagine that leather tape isn’t light either. That putter also doesn’t look very long either (I could be wrong tho). 
Key with the SS’s is they give you the big thick grip connection but do it with a light enough material so as to not horribly effect the swing weight (although, as you pointed out, the SS material deteriorates quite horribly). One thing you could do (if you ever need to) would be look around and see if you can find any of the old SS mid-slim grips, the old ones were made with an actual rubber compound instead of that ultra-light garbage. 

Point being, after you created that you hopefully also added significant weight into the head to preserve proper balance 

18 hours ago, supo said:

iomic  absolute x.

muziik pistolero ( new fave!)

gripmaster  leather  still on more than a few.

jop.... interesting grip.

I really liked the Iomic absolute x, had it maybe 7 years ago.. might have to buy one new...

The JOP is only good in humid condition as the texture of it gets too dry for me.. Currently gaming it..

Gripmaster feather lite? or the normal ones?

IMG_8789.JPG

14 hours ago, gregoire56 said:

That sounds like a highly effective grip. However it also sounds like it is WAYYYYY heavier now than when it was a SuperStroke, hockey tape is thick and heavy and I imagine that leather tape isn’t light either. That putter also doesn’t look very long either (I could be wrong tho). 
Key with the SS’s is they give you the big thick grip connection but do it with a light enough material so as to not horribly effect the swing weight (although, as you pointed out, the SS material deteriorates quite horribly). One thing you could do (if you ever need to) would be look around and see if you can find any of the old SS mid-slim grips, the old ones were made with an actual rubber compound instead of that ultra-light garbage. 

Point being, after you created that you hopefully also added significant weight into the head to preserve proper balance 

The hockey tape is this stuff

https://www.amazon.com/Jaybird-299-1025BL-Mais-Hockey-Tape/dp/B000O6YIJO/ref=sr_1_32?dchild=1&keywords=hockey%2Btape&qid=1585370232&sr=8-32&th=1

or you could just use layers of grip tape - either way the weight is negligible.

The leather wrap tape is also not especially heavy at all - can't feel any difference in balance at all comparing the original thick polyurethane layer replaced with the tape and leather wrap.

It's 34" long version putter.

Another option is "Newbaum's cloth tape" - cheap, feels good, comes in many colours - just give it a couple of coats of shellac after too.

After going back and forth with taperless grips and tapered grips, I'm currently settled with Iomic Absolute Grips ( the original one and not the Absolute X ) 

Tacky and just the right softness/firmness.   I really wish they would bring them back.   The feel and texture of it is actually similar to the Benock original grip. 

Then I tried a pistol grip from STM with a carbon fiber pattern which looked super cool and felt pretty decent but just a tad too thin towards the bottom. 

Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 10.27.02 PM.png

On 3/26/2020 at 1:22 PM, wedda said:

Hello everyone,

What is your to-go-to putter grip? 
If you know the weight of the grip please state it as well, prefer lighter grips 50-68 grams

Good Topic! I'm currently using the Absolute Grips from Benock. I have two that are textured and one that is slick. I also have putters with the SS Slim 3.0 and the Muzik which is a pistol grip a bit larger than the Iomic. Gotta check out the STM

I use the classic Iomic in standard size on most of my putters. On the Kronos I used last season it is a mid-size Iomic and I like that. Typically tend to like pistol grips though and will try the Muziik Pistolero as Stu wrote about above. 

Tried the SS Slim 3.0. God I hated it. 

Stu, where can I find the Muziik grip?

On 3/29/2020 at 4:45 AM, bngolfer said:

Stu, where can I find the Muziik grip?

Throw in a "Shield Madien"  🤣 I like the look http://www.translatetheweb.com/?ref=SERP&br=ro&mkt=en-US&dl=en&lp=JA_EN&a=http%3a%2f%2fwww.muziik-golf.com%2fjapan%2fhome.html

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Rosemark 1,25 thorn and it is a great grip but wish I would find a bigger one..

I tried the 1.60 winn grip on a friends putter and i liked the size of that one - rosemark 1,52 maybe?

On 3/27/2020 at 8:16 PM, coops1967 said:

Lovely jubbly.

RJ4L.jpg

Can you make me a grip like your grip? 🙂 

• 1 year later...

I just built an arm lock putter with a 373 gram Anser style head. I think it's too heavy. I really like it but on greens under 11 it is hard to get the ball to the hole. Here https://golfauthority.org/best-putter-grip/ maybe you can find some help.

Edited by christina12