Matching wedges to irons.

supo

I  don't play a ton of comps anymore... they don't really do them here.

so I get to mix and match a heap of clubs every time I go  out,  I always take 3 putters / 2 drivers  7or 8 irons depending if I have a 3 iron or a driving iron  and 3  wedges.

of course , I have  a  "if I play tiger in a game what wud I bring 14  club set" but that never gets played week in out I don't think ive ever put it out actually  but I know what it is  depending on what course  we play of course.. gotta maximize  ones advantage!

Any way ive been struggling to find a match for the epon aftours, as ive finally taken them back out  agn  the last cpl of games and ive absolutely killed it with them, problem  is I just cant  do the SW that goes with them (epon xl45)  so im acing it and going a different route.

so ..... after a covid induced weekend of   cleaning out the closest  i found these things...

I may have hit them once or twice but they seem to be a perfect match for a bigger set of irons heads like the epons , ive certainly never matched them together or with  the callaway tour authentic' s  kinda thing  but  I shud have bec. they certainly don't look out of position as a balance set , ive been using the tourstage scalpels with them and they  simply don't go.

Good to have break every now  and again to see the wood for the trees.

I think  these have a very similar look to the epons  same kind of geometry ,and after  I  believe  they were deigned  by mr EPON and s-yard Kobayashi san  , so  it  kinda made  perfect  sense, bec the other ones in line to be played  with the epons are  the syard bolds  and  Yamaha black raw.

This kind of wedge look complements the bigger heads perfectly ..

keep the scalpels, the tourstage x wedge, prgr tr,honma tw, and the like  for the mini blades  like the miura sb01s, honma pp737, tourstage marus  and the easy playable  wedges  for the easier heads, as I didn't play a Cavity Backs  all last yr   its no wonder id forgotten about these wedges  for the most part  but  right now, these, the syards and the yamahas have screamed to the fore of  my eye , who knows maybe its time I slid back a notch and took it easier.....................,

Anyway these are  pretty damn nice wedges.

20200407_163717.jpg

20200407_163648.jpg

20200407_163616.jpg

Edited by supo

What kind of wedge is that?? 

it was called chujocraft,  ithink its been renamed tho.

they have a very  sharp leading edge , no offset  and a big face . pretty   nice  in hand

Edited by supo

heres the difference in wedgs shapes ive been tinkering with  with to no  avail with the epons, the difference is clearly visible.

the tourstage is a scalpel , the epon is  sponge cake with ice cream in comparison although it does have a sharp leading edge.

both are fails with these heads.

the toustage are for my   TS marus , honma tw or the like.

this is the shape I have been  hitting for a while now and am very confidend with  it. I like to try and  zip the ball , esp right to left with the wedges

if I do that with the epon it goes off the green  farfarfar too much air movement right to left but its hard to cut it. the tourstage I can do anything with it , albeit it not  as  consistenrtly as id like .

spin is very very good with the TS .

tour stage x wedge/ epon xl45

chugocraft/epon xl45

pretty big differences , no ?

20200409_093625.jpg

Edited by supo

Hmm What wedges do you put w/ IDBL?

the prgr  LED are the ones slotted for them but the LED have pretty thin  sole and topline so  I sort of meander past those and go for a bit more robustness,  ill use the LEDS when im first starting back out in spring as they are just so easy to hit but they  do have a  fair amount of clipability   and they are (TO ME)  a "medium  playable" wedge, they are not super aggressive nor game improvement. they are a bit of a mix of both

They are a good all  rounder that suits a fairly wide array or irons,  and not overly workable, I prefer  a lot of versatility over point shoot.

To me, the best match for the  IDBL I think are something like  the Yamaha raw  ,  the syard bold,  prgr nabla rs, or fourteen mt  28 proto, toursatge x wedge black.  depending on grass conditions , if its tight and dry ill plumb for the fourteens or tourstage black, if its wet ill go the bolds and if its normal ill prob use the yammies  or nablas,, those nablas have shot WAY up my prefrered wedge list recently.

20200410_100649.jpg

Edited by supo

• 3 weeks later...