Top 3 putters

gregoire56

I was curious about what the spread of ages would be like if a bunch of golfers were to list their top 3 drivers of all time. Along those same lines, I'm even more curious as to what the spread of ages might look like if a bunch of golfers list their top 3 putters of all time. I feel like putter designs stay relevant for longer than other types of clubs, and when a golfer finds a putter they like then they're more likely to keep it for longer as well. So, more than any other type of club I feel like putters are the most likely to have the widest range of ages. Also, there are so many different and unique putter designs I feel like the variety will also be very interesting. 

This post is to list your top 3 favorite putters of all time. They can be any type of putters: blade, mallet, steel, wooden, etc. Feel free to include a description of why it's your favorite and/or some pics.

top3putters1.jpegMy top 3 putters:

• Epon I-33 (2nd Gen)
  • Seven Type-SH (1st run blank sole version) 
  • SeeMore - Nashville Studio Series - Tour FGPss 

Epon I-33 (2nd Gen) - love everything about this putter: the shape, the balance @ 33 1/4", the look of the mirror blank sole, the face milling, the sweet feel of milled S20C, etc. I bought this putter from one of the many great forum members on here and it hasn't left my bag since I got it. 

Seven Type-SH - this is a great putter. The SM490A material that it's made from has a super unique feel to it, and combined with the super deep face mill pattern it feels very nice. It's solid but not harsh and soft but not mushy. The lines and angles of the head frame the ball very nicely and make it very easy to aim. I'm also a big fan of its shorter heel to toe length, I don't like big putter heads.

SeeMore Nashville Studio Tour FGPss - if I could get this putter head to be heavy enough to reach an ideal swing weight at 33" then this would definitely be my ultimate go-to putter. I've always been a big fan of the SeeMore "hide the red dot" concept, I'm not going to claim that it's some revolutionary design feature but I just know that it works very well for me and allows me to be very comfortable over putts of any length. When I use this putter I tend to hit my intended line very consistently. The only issue for me is that it's I think only around a 235-240g head because it's designed to be used at 35", so since I use it at 33" I have a more difficult time controlling distance because the putter head is still a bit too light despite all the lead tape I've applied. I need to add lead into the tip I just haven't gotten around to it yet. 

top3putters2.jpegHonorable mentions:

• Piretti Cortino 2 Rev2.0
  • Yamada Milled Borzov 

Piretti Cortino 2 Rev2.0 - this is a great putter. It's milled from a very nice feeling 11L17 carbon steel with a moderately deep milled face. It's a hair longer heel to toe than what I typically prefer, but the overall shape is so nice it truly doesn't faze me. I also very much like it's only 1/2-3/4 shaft offset as opposed to a whole shaft offset. 

Yamada Milled Borzov - this is a very interesting putter design. The shape is different for me because I usually prefer blade style putters since I don't aim mallets well. I really like this though because 1. the carbon steel that Yamada uses to make his putter heads feels phenomenal; 2. the head weight creates perfect balance with a 33" putter; 3. the way the weight is distributed facilitates a very smooth straight back and straight through stroke.  

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  I agree with keep for longer! 

ive got a few ive sold , re bought , rejigged re sold  and re bought again, the classic example is  the 2 ball odyssey , I think ive had about 5 of these  and the best one of them  I think , is the black one  I ve still got  that 

top 3 good  heavens  ill try ,  this  is much tougher than the drivers................................,

Tying to take a top three from these isn't possible  sorry, bec to understand fave, does that mean "top " = best looks ,best feel , best performance. best for specific  greens..?????

even tiger abandoned his SC to go to the NIKE (dump)  truck but  failed miserably  so top ..  is so relative.

ok to make  it easier for me to categorize id have to break it into   head shapes .

I play every shape imaginable and ive realsied after 35+  yrs of golf I don't have a fav shape.

ás can prob  be seen by these.

TOP L   shapes ;  yamada  razor,   kitada custom

TOP c shape mallets: benock Enzo, miura

TOP ansers:  Hiro Matsumoto mz07, gold factory gss 360  custom ,seven 01,

TOP centre shaft: ks sugi 163m,

TOP  freakazoids: axis eagle,2 ball odyssey, 1986 mcgreggr  golden bear, ping cushin,

TOP feel: seven,golds gss,yamada burning copper GF custom

The single best putting  iv ever done is with the axis eagle at NSW on the coast in Sydney  on a rather  'blustery" Thursday compey  with a few more than decent players.. I beat the Longy penants a grade   player with some outrageous bombs  and didn't miss a 6 footer for 18 holes. I wont ever out do that day. not possible.

the next best was 2 yrs ago with the ks  sugi  CS mallet  where I went 68 in a comp and won it  or the monthly medal I came second  in with the 1986 mcgreggor!

the rest  pretty much fail in comparrison but that does not mean I play the ones ive done best with historically , in fact ive benched them, the more recent  great events have been with the benock easpade which I have a recent tendency to reach for when im actually plaing 'golf"not some other game and where scoring properly is a "thing' , this is getting me so consistantly close , I just automatically reach for it now .

my actual  faves tho are the mini blades and c-shape mallets, the yamada razor, the kitada custom or the  benock Enzo or miura c..... these are the one  I love to take on hols and just play all day with practicing with on course.

the ansers I tend to go  back to just beceaure they are there but I don't really like them  they are plain  Jane  shape to me,   the long neck  HM 1999 or semi LN mz 07 I LOVE playing and have  a special spot  in my rotation.

ok if I had to keep just 3  and tin the rest

as of now...

id keep the yamada L.. the benock Enzo. hiro mats mz-07

but id have to be on a  rack  and stretched to within a mm of being torn apart.

caveat....

im a planning to get another easpade made by benock with the small s neck  "soon'  which I hope will cure all ills!

20200408_133837.jpg

20200408_133803.jpg

20200408_133527.jpg

20200408_133506.jpg

20200408_133349.jpg

20200408_132450.jpg

Edited by supo

I currently have 4 so I'll list up my 4 that I have. 

Benock Blue Dragon II

Went for a full fitting experience at Benock Tokyo in June 2017.  

Naturally,  it works well with my stroke.    Love the slant neck on this.   

Been my gamer for the greater part of the last 3 seasons.   No plan to change that. 

IMG_2909.jpg

Gold's Factory T102 Prototype 

Bought this slightly used from a member here back about 6 to 7 years ago.

What I like about this is that it is one of Sasaya-san's early works and not a lot of them around.  

A pair of tungsten weights embedded in the face, heel and toe side, makes this traditional blade much more stable than in looks. 

I see better consistency with this putter than any other blade putters.  Must be the improved MOI. 

Sound slot creates a subtle but noticeable "tink" sound at impact.   

Face is flat with no milling.   Thought about adding milled face .. but I think this one should stay the way it is. 

IMG_2907.jpg

Seven VS-R Sandvik Prototype 

I am told this was made to demonstrate the raw feel of Sandvik steel.

Thus, it has no grooves or milling on the face at the moment.   It's polished face is very bright and glare on sunny days! :)

Plan to get the face milled in the future though the feel of Sandvik is very soft already.   

I put a Dogatti shaft in this one.   The shaft helps wth additional roll.

the shape is one the best blade shapes I've known with an extended bumper but with a base shape similar to what's commonly known as  "Newport 2"

Will need to take this out more.   but probably best to use this under cloudy conditions. 🙂

IMG_2905.jpg

Last but not least,  my most recent acquisition. 

I've been eyeing on this 2016 TaylorMade Ghost Monaco Tour Black Prototype (aka Justin Rose replica)  putter ever since they made 10 of these and sold on their Vault site.   I was not fortunate enough to get a hold of one when it just came out, so late last year I actually reached out to a couple of wrxers who previously had BST posts. 

Luckily one of the guys still had one in possession and "unused! "   For a 304 Stainless Steel milled putter,  it actually feels pretty nice.  

Quality is not that great but I love the shape.   It probably has too much toe angle to match my stroke but who cares....  for now, it stays in a box.  

IMG_2903.jpg 

I want a Sandvik. Being a Swedish JDM fan-boy, I should. Let me know if anyone has  a spare one.

I’ve owned over 100 Scotty Cameron putters - almost all were special editions/ltd’s/one-offs etc. None on my top 3 and I don’t have a single one left. My favorites were the Studio Design #6, the beached cs NP2 and the Platinum (not pro platinum) 1/8 1996 Coronado.

My top 3 putters: 

-Well, I used a Gold’s Private Stock #2 for 8-9 years. Love it with a heavy Nippon shaft and a standard size Iomic grip on it. Nothing fancy. Just a pure PS#2. Bought another one (or actually 2) that just sit idle.

-Now game a Kronos Metronome 360g #05/50. So easy to putt with and it has a lovely feel to it.

-The third putter on my list is the Tad Moore prototype long neck copperuski from 1997. Lovely putter.