Driver internal pics

D22marshall

Ok long story but had to try and drill out what seem to be a tungsten weight left in a driver head as the bore depth was only about an inc.

so after a lot of frustration and no success then a snapped drill but that destroyed the crown paint work. 

I was then determined to understand why it could not be drilled out or removed. 

To my surprise a massive tungsten weight was internally designed in the head as pics will show.

I am now understanding why a lot of jap drivers I find very hard to hit straight and not go left!

its was a disappointing to destroy this head but this is the joys of doing club work.

anyone else got any cool stories/pics to show.

12BDBD6C-C6A4-4CC1-BD69-CE177DF28914.jpeg

2556FC6E-BACB-449F-87EB-4D5DC0D2BD69.jpeg

B22458A5-CD09-4E45-A71B-C78063771D92.jpeg

Wowza...If the drill bit lost round 1....The angle-grinder definitely won the fight. :tsg_smiley_rambo:

So what your saying is most Japanes drivers are a draw bias? This one certainly seems to be that way with no counter balance on the opposite side.

Edited by hutchy

12 minutes ago, D22marshall said:

i would now love to see internal design of driver heads it would be really interesting 

Yes it would be interesting to see how they are set up internally.

From memory Romaro always showed the internal cross section to show off the hex weight port and face structure. Might me worth checking some listings in the pro shop, may have some CAD shots.

Is the Miura the one you cut open?

Nice!!!  I've had urges before to split open a head but never had the chance to actually do it.  

As for the weight on the heel, I wouldn't be surprised if most drivers (newer than 5 or 6 years) have something similar.

Even USDM drivers are slightly more draw biased these days compared to how they were 3-4 years ago. 

Personally, I feel draw bias weighing with a slightly open face angle works best.   

That's how my Grandista RS-D is and how I have my Ping G410 LST set up. 

LOVE your work!

I had the MG SIT460 - loved that driver .. never tried the normal Miura SIT460 but would be interesting to see if this driver as well have the same weighting.. 😃

image.jpeg.e752c782dc8b15eda5f177c136b8a4a1.jpeg