Ferrule Creep...Why?

Njquecol

Maybe a newbie question, I apologize.

This is my Callaway XR16 3-wood. I love the club and generally hit it very well, but three times now I've had the ferrule "fixed"...it keeps creeping up the shaft.  A number of questions, mostly why does this happen, and does this indicate the head is not stable?  The head does not appear in any way loose or open.  I won't say I center it every time, but I definitely don't hit the big ball before the little ball, and I miss to the toe not the heel when I do miss.

I know it probably doesn't impact performance (right?) but it aggravates the hell out of me just looking at it.  If it does impact performance, tell me so I can justify going to get a new one!  Ha ha…

Thanks.

Who ever fitted it used a ferrule that is too big and probably didn’t epoxy it on as they put it on will not cause any problems only for looks.

a good builder will pull the shaft and refit with correct size ferrule no problems at all.

That is correct. Builder should have applied epoxy to the underside of ferrule to adhere it to top of the hosel. However, even without doing this the ferrule won’t usually move unless it’s the wrong size. Shaft tips range in size from 0.335” to 0.370”, when you use a correctly sized ferrule it will just barely fit over the tip of the shaft and quickly become extremely snug as it’s moved up the tip. 

What you need to do is apply a bunch of epoxy to the top of the hosel and underneath the ferrule, then push them together firmly, wipe away any excess, make sure the ferrule is just about flush with the hosel, and let the epoxy cure. This should prevent it from happening again. 

Edited by gregoire56

• 2 months later...
On 5/3/2020 at 5:51 PM, D22marshall said:

Who ever fitted it used a ferrule that is too big and probably didn’t epoxy it on as they put it on will not cause any problems only for looks.

a good builder will pull the shaft and refit with correct size ferrule no problems at all.

Yep- that's right- you're the best!  put epoxy on the tip of the shaft- slide ferrule on- slide head on and twist motion- then slide it off and add more epoxy to make sure the tip is covered with epoxy- slide or bang head on hitting the but of the shaft on concrete or a steel plate.