DRIVER distance and tee height :

Endless hours upon hours of  u -chuuubz scouring recently led me  to this behemouth!

CLAY BALLARD... never heard of him . no positive nor negative  feel about him but he DOES give it a rip,, a big ole rip!

fast forward to about the 4.33m mark  for a min to get the drift of it

so I took his  advice   to the course recently and gave it a whirl

2 things...

for my lower (9*-9.5* )  lofted and fuller body  drivers it  really works   and works beautifully .....

10*-11 elongated taperd back drivers mehhhhhh..  not so well,  they get PLENTY of carry but  zero roll and actually the 2w I was hitting went as far .

and that is after 3 rounds of MULTIPLE drivers on  different courses and not just one per hole  , im talking 3 drives  a hole.

heres what I tested it with with resounding success...

jbeam 435 / diamana stinger 70x   which has always been a bit  lower flighted,and never got the carry I liked but its over all has been  unsurpassed  over time this was  driver I easily got the most out of, I really exaggerated the height of the ball , like a full ball higher  than the top of the crown , I was teeing it  RIGHT up and putting the ball at toe  line up  not inside  the fornt heel,  the other thing it did was draw almost every shot .i lost a few OB left with snap- a- doshious pulls till I  was game enough to line it up to the right and expect it  to draw , the draw was  a few  noticeable yards,  it was enough ..... the distance I was getting was really , really  REALLY good , it definitely reitereated that this is the driver  to beat and bec its such a straight shooter  by the end of the rounds I have total confidence to go at it proper and expect it NOT to go right even tho I was aimning there..... it took a while to garner the courage to aim right ebc this driver PREFERS to go right..  onv, I wasn nto playing comp so the pressure under comp rules may change it slightly.  I  dunno if im game to go quite that high in comp bec it goes so darn well without it and I NEVER loose one left usually.. I dunno ill have to do it to really tell.

EPON 101 9.5*/labo tataki  75xs  similar to the jbeam this ususally goes lower and straighter...................... NOT ANY MORE.

didn't quite tee it as high as the 435 but I didnt need to, by far and away this was my most favoured driver improvement, I just  didn't miss with it, carry was plenty more than usual, not as long as the  435  but  overall distance definitely increased and control was magnificent.. both ways. I don't really take this out much I  only built it bec I  had a thought that  it wud be a good match bec  the stinger model is and I loves this shaft ...,   I think this surpassed the boron both in feel and yards now. wont be the last time this gets a hit going forwards.... I don't do mechanical tests on flight mumble jobbeis I do it on the fariways with my eyes,, where the ball  ends up give me all the data I need to say good driver build/ average driver build. This one ..... is a beauty!!!!

NOT SO GOOD

kamui pro 10.5* diamana X 70s. , ALL carry  like 99% carry.

not bad , in cat perfect on a wet day  but when I did the high tee it went MILES too high nad not that far. 100% with a BIG draw, bubba esque movement ( obv the other way!) .. but huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge.

when I put this back to lower loft It went much better, straighter and not  high... this is  a gret set up , now I know how to use it best, its got a big heel down look to it , so ataddress it looks like a massive draw driver which it is, but I can cut the heck out of it as well with huge distance loss. but great control

this has been my fave driver recently along with the astro  tour v3, but I was always using it as a contro l set up driver over trees and cutting corners,, never  used it for  going straight darrrrrrrrrn to pipes bec I just thought   it  was  quasy driver..........

not any more!

roddio s-tuning  10.5*   / diamana X 70s, I can hit this anywhere and like the kamui I use it as a carry driver only... until now where ijsut leared that by teeing it lower it gets better.

high tee and it becomes the  nascar  of drivers  im talking aim to the  next fairway right , to get to the  left fairway  edge!.   tee it down    and it  does its thing with aplomb, long mid flight and straight...where the fk has this been hiding all this time!!!!!!!

So...

I do agree with Mr muscle above  for 9* AND  lower lofted drivers but STROGNLY disagree  for  higher lofted ones. the higher loft with the falling triangle back shape does the work that a square  boxy driver need with a higher tee. so if u like ( like I do) boxy drivers with a full  body then take this advice, give it a try  I don't think u wil find anything beut what I found, but  for the new style taperd back end drivers u don't to bec the majority of them will balloon AND go far too  far left.

wish I took some vids to show , bec the difference was enough for me to post  this...  it wasn't a small thing , it  was ,wow,, this  is  a " thing '    and somethiing ill be doing going forwards!

Edited by supo

Nice Stu ..  

Here is my latest Golf Coach.

• 3 months later...

I've been using 8.5° to 9° heads and the high tee helps, but recently picked up a couple 10° heads and they balloned with the regular tee height.

I had to tee them lower for a more penetrating flight but it also promoted a streper AoA so spin was higher

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2020 at 11:51 AM, cuistot said:

Nice Stu ..  

Here is my latest Golf Coach.

Yap, been following GGSwingTips for some time..  This guy is the best. Over the years Ihave read Toski, Nicholus, Miller, Ledbetter, Snead, Hogan and countless others. Gankas Is Da Man.

Bought the GBox but my local range has been closed all summer. 

Stew, I like your thoughts on tee height. Ive been teeing driver 1/2 ball above head.. Gona experiment with the Kamui, Egg1, ERC III, PRGR and that Epon Tech