Totally lost with iron shafts......

nobmontana

Last season,  I played the PRGR IDBL shafted with Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White S300 and I was playing very good golf.... 

then the pandemic happened and I started shuffling my clubs including my irons.   While I was never a great striker of the ball to start with,  I was at a point where I could hit the ball decently 90% of the time.   After coming back from 3 months of not swinging a club at all,   my swing somehow took a big blow and I could not hit my irons very well.   went on a couple of free fittings to evaluate my swing/ club set up and found that I was losing a lot of swing speed and I was adding loft at impact ..... I pretty much used the entire season trying to get my swing back in shape.   scores tanked to high 80's at times and felt like I really needed to redo everything... finally after using up the entire season,  I think my swing is better again to a point where I can consistently hit the ball fairly well.    Woods are now very consistent and satisfactory.   Wedges are fine as long as the shaft is not too heavy.   With heavy shafts (DG) ,  fuller shots are bound to be  pulls to the left.    120g less so and 105g I can keep it straight even on full shots.    Perhaps this symptom alone is telling about my swing?   

Anyway,  My current irons are Seven SCs  and Seven CB Protos.  I've tried over 8 different shafts in the last 5 months and while some worked better than others, I still feel that I am not hitting things as good as I was last season.     Here's a list of shafts I've tried and results, 

DG AMT S300 - Long irons were okay.... short irons feel too heavy and easy to pull left feels okay

DG 105 S300 - Just okay over all.   okay feeling okay performing. 

Modus 120 Stiff - Great soft feel off the face,  occasional hooks (too much draw).   not very consistent 

Modus 105 Regular - Great feel off the face,  dispersion is a bit too much.  not consistent. 

NS Pro 950GH Stiff - Great feel off the face.. fairly consistent.  Feels a bit too light. 

Project X LZ 5.5 - Felt quite boardy and could not hit the ball well.   I think it's too much shaft for me...

Project X LZ 5.0 - Quick test yesterday and feel was pretty nice.   This one could be good. 

Crazy CBI-80 LTD - Feel is firm and not great. Hit the ball pretty consistently but could be better. 

Anyway...  I decided I pay a visit over to golftec today and do an iron shaft fitting. 

I want to test out some extreme things and hopefully identify the type of shaft that I would do well with.  General weight, kick point and flex information is what I want to pin down for my current swing.  I think I can then go look for shafts to try more confidently with better chance for success. 

Playing on the course with little confidence whether I'm playing appropriate setup with my irons is just frustrating and not fun for me.  

I will report back with my results later today...    

Edited by nobmontana

OK back from my fitting. 

It's been a while since I've done a full on fitting with irons. 

Told them my story and we started trying different shafts based on what I have tried recently.   

The head I used was the Mizuno MP-20 MMC ( one with the Titanium Insert on the back )  looks like the loft was 32 deg which is similar to my Seven SC (31.5)  and a bit stronger lofted compared to my Seven CB Proto (34)   Shape wise pretty similar to either with slightly longer heel to toe blade length than my sets. 

We tried these shafts:  

- Dynamic Gold 105 S  - Lowish spin  / lower ball speed / higher launch  NG

- Project X LZ 5.5  - Good back spin / highest ball speed / higher launch  (1) Best fit 

- KBS Tour 90 S  - Lowish spin  / lower ball speed / higher launch  NG 

- Modus 105 S - Good back spin / high ball speed / higher launch  (2) Second best fit 

- KBS $-Taper Lite 110 S - Lowish spin  / lower ball speed / higher launch NG

- KBS Tour S Soft Step x 1 Good back spin / good ball speed / lower launch  (3)  Good fit but a but less distance.  possibly more consistency 

So there you have it.  Got fit into a Project X LZ 5.5 ....  hmmm  it's funny because I just tried the PX LZ 5.5 2 days ago and I thought it felt really stiff. 

I also do have a set of the 5.0 that I was going to try anyway....  

So I think what I will do first is to install the 5.5 in my Seven CB Protos and there 5.0 in the Seven SCs and play them for a bit. 

I was pleasantly surprised by the Modus 105 S and how good it felt with the Mizuno head.  I remember the 105 S being a bit more harsh.  

If somehow the PX LZ's fail to satisfy on the course,  I may try a 105 S as my next test.

I am glad that I did this fitting because it turned out that I was not terribly off with my own experimenting but now I don't have to wonder about whether my selections are really the right ones. 

good heavens. 

that place isnt run by  KBS is  it.?

never used a more harsh worse.feeling shaft in my life than kbs.

my tomatoes  even rejected them when i  staked them to  one!

phoooooar with a set of seven heads???

its like  feeding truffles to  goldfish

Edited by supo

The teaching pro who did the fitting today was actually a KBS user...  so he probably mixed in a lot of his personal preferences.  Maybe he even gets paid commission for selling more irons with KBS shafts?    My problem with KBS is that I have heard regularly occurring quality issues with their shafts.

I've assembled my irons now and taking them for a test drive tomorrow.

I am really hoping that the LZ 5.0 in the Seven SCs are going to work out for me. 

I played the KBS Tour for years and years. Great feeling shafts to me. Have had both $-taper and C-taper and they were really harsh.

I’m using Modus 120 S now and they are ok but not better than the KBS to me.

Crazy Target Tours on their way to me now. Had a set in X before but too stiff for me. Felt smooth though. Will try S now and have high hopes.

Hope you find a great fit Nobs!

that was them, c-taper................

ohh my god they were hideous.

target tours i think u need  to go a flex  lower. with those to  ingite em best, they were pretty taught , very taught actually.

dont know if u can get these over there..

shimada 3001.. been slowly  putting these and super peening orange into rogue heads of late at the expense of the modus line.

my builder LOVES the  sp  range , tried those ??

I was only able to find a single SP ORA that I put into Fourteen raw Lob wedge and absolutely love it.. I tried the Project X with good result but found it harsh. This season I put into play the IDBL from Nobs and I find the DG S200 surprisingly good. I have the SP Blue in TR500 NS 125 in the TM R9tp and the Attas 10 in Buchi. If time and $ allows Im looking to track a set of ORA S and soft step 5-SW. So far In my experience Steel Shafts feel best. Id like to demo the new NEO and some of the other lightweight NS line for seniors.

18 hours ago, supo said:

that was them, c-taper................

ohh my god they were hideous.

target tours i think u need  to go a flex  lower. with those to  ingite em best, they were pretty taught , very taught actually.

dont know if u can get these over there..

shimada 3001.. been slowly  putting these and super peening orange into rogue heads of late at the expense of the modus line.

my builder LOVES the  sp  range , tried those ??

The $-taper is way worse than the C-taper. Can't compare to the KBS Tour's - very good shafts to me. But I'm down to 100+ mph swing speed and have always had a smooth transition. Thus, would never be fit into the $ or C anyway.

Not had the pleasure of trying out the SP range but have read (others than yours) great reviews on them.

So here is an experiment that I am currently thinking about....  All you builders let me know if this is too risky. 

I have a set of TT Monaco Stiff 2-PW shafts that I recently acquired.    Straight in would be just too stiff for me. 

I am thinking about either a soft step x 2 or even a soft step x 3 to see if it would work for me. 

Just a bit worried that too much soft stepping would possibly mess with the kick point etc... too much.    

Flex wise I think it would be right where I need them.     Thoughts?

Does make a difference soft stepping them once or twice is ok gives you some nice wedge shafts, BUT hard set to come across and is it worth chopping them up or just get a set of shafts that your fit into? 

Sure many would buy them off you. Sometimes if your in a slump anything feels like it might work. 

You will get to the other side 😀👍

2 times with mons wud be more possible id think than most others.  shimada tours... yea..

maybe x100 as well..

dont think id try tht with ns 950s ,   the ball may go back over ur  head.

sp blue is another.

3 times ??
nah that jst sounds  wrong 

soft step 3 times usually equal to 1 flex. I think that is fine. i have done so before. But project x lz is a solid shaft. Why do you not just want to use that?

It is the best feeling steel shaft for me - i used modus 105 previously

hey Mags....  yeah... I compared the LZ 5.0 and 5.5 extensively yesterday and it does look like my swing works better with the 5.5. 

With the 5.0 while I love the softer feel,  I think the shaft sags a bit at the impact zone and my impact is not as solid as with the 5.5. 

LZ 5.5 is really good for me. 

The Monaco is just another option that I want to use in another set.  

Got some range time with the Seven SC PX LZ 5.5 set up and it is good so far.   The feel is more solid feeling that uber soft.   

But it does provide gobs of feedback whether I flushed it or off center.   This will force me to hit more in the middle of the face.  🙂

The 5.0 flex definitely softer at impact overall but it felt okay even on off centered hits.    Dispersion is defintely better with the 5.5 flex.  

For wedge shafts, I settled with Modus Tour 120 X flex shafts.   They seem to work well.   

I had some Tour Only WV115's  before but those were a bit too stout to my liking.