Ultra-Light, higher-launching shafts? (Driver, Fairway, Hybrids)

AlexBo

I'm looking at ultra-light options for moderate swing speed, not only for driver, but also fairway and hybrids. Grand Bassara Beta comes to mind for the driver, but there must be some other options as well?

Does anyone know more about the Mizuno Platinum MFusion shafts? They seem to be very light.

Or can anyone recommend a website with comparisons of the different options in the market?

Edited by AlexBo

When you say "Moderate swing speed"  what do you mean?   90mph?  100mph?      When you say "ultra light,"  do you mean 40g or less?   

"Karu-Kata" in Japanese  meaning "light and stiff"  has been kind of the trend the last few years in both irons and woods.  

Grand Bassara are great shafts.    I've tried the Bassara Griffin in 53TS back a few years ago and they were pretty stable for a slight weight shaft. 

I used to use Diamond Speeder 5X which was great and I currently use ATMOS Tourspec Black 5TX in my driver which is working great at the moment. 

Thanks for your reply.

I would call myself a beginner, not the youngest (40s) but quite fit. Maybe because of my previous sports, I do prefer light clubs with a light swing weight, so am looking at the light / ultralight options available. My biggest concern is probably, that I expect my swing speed to improve, which would then push me to S-flex instead of R-flex ... but then again I am getting older 😉

The Grand Bassara shafts seem to be more tailored towards R-Flex, if I want to use the same shafts in my driver and woods / hybrids... Maybe UST MP5 could be an alternative?

Edited by AlexBo

I'm also trying to figure out the right flex for JDM shafts. Particularly for the Grand Bassara Beta / Fairway / Hybdrid shafts.

- The Japanese MCA catalogue indicates S-Flex as appropriate for 230y total driver distance for the Grand Bassara.
- On the international MCA website, its R-Flex for 210-240 driver carry for the Grand Bassara.

Can anyone explain that?

Edited by AlexBo

2 hours ago, AlexBo said:

I'm also trying to figure out the right flex for JDM shafts. Particularly for the Grand Bassara Beta / Fairway / Hybdrid shafts.

- The Japanese MCA catalogue indicates S-Flex as appropriate for 230y total driver distance for the Grand Bassara.
- On the international MCA website, its R-Flex for 210-240 driver carry for the Grand Bassara.

Can anyone explain that?

Guiding consumers of flex information using approximate driving distance can be so inaccurate. I would not think too hard about the discrepancies of those numbers.  Who knows. Mitsubishi Japan could be labeling their shafts differently from their global models....  JDM models of the same product can sometimes be different even if they are names the same.  

Even with launch monitor measurements, results can vary so greatly between different methods and systems.  Only way to really find your flex is through an actual fitting.  If you have a shop/fitting center close to where you live,  go find out if they can fit you for driver, fairway and hybrid shafts.  If you are a beginner, unless you've got money to waste🙂, I would not recommend dropping too much money in high end shafts just yet.  Wait 'til you have a better understanding of your swing and an understanding of what type of shaft work best for your swing. (kick point , weight and flex. )   As you are a beginner, your swing will likely change over the next few seasons which will mean that you potentially may get fit into a different shaft a year from now.. 

For beginners in general, my recommendation is to start with the a softer flex.  While you can adjust your swing to swing slower if needed, you really can't swing faster to adjust if the shaft you bought turns out to be stiffer than what you needed.   As for weight, typically speaking,  lighter can also mean less stability if the weight of the shaft is too light for you.  For most adult male in their 40's,  a 50g range in the driver are pretty standard these days.  As for flex,  I've seen people in their 40's fit into anything from Extra Stiff to Senior Flex.  Not about age, not about past physical activity,  it's about how you swing your club and how you hit the ball.  

Hope this helps.