Ultra-light shafts - weighting from driver to irons

AlexBo

I was wondering how people playing ultra-light irons build their club set.

Assuming that clubs would usually get 5g heavier per club (from driver down to the wedges), even with ultra-light driver shafts around 40g, iron shafts would be around 80g.

I do however see much lighter iron shafts particularly in Asia.  E.g. the Mizuno MFusion Platinum driver shaft is only around 10g lighter than the MFusion Platinum shafts used for iron sets. How do you address this?

Ultra light driver shafts go down to sub 30g these days.  Like the Zero speeder at 29.5g 
 Also you don’t always have to go heavier as you go down your club set.   
Just use what works for you.  

1 hour ago, nobmontana said:

Also you don’t always have to go heavier as you go down your club set.   
Just use what works for you.  

Yes, I am wondering whether stepping up the weight is "tradition" because of shaft availability, or whether it is due to changing head-weights as well.

shaft weight availability was probably one reason.. sure.  

I think the way it works is that you want to try and get a similar feel with all the clubs through the set (except putter) 

BTW, the iron heads are typically 7g apart.  Well... at least the forged stuff I'm used to are.   

Wood (Driver, Fairway and UT) weights vary by model and brand.   Most JDM drivers are typically lighter than current US brand drivers.  

Swing weight are very different too.     D0 to D2 are typical for JDM and US drivers are around D5 these days.