Maybe cold weather golf suits me better?

nobmontana

Tee off today at 8am was around 39 deg F here in WA.   Front 9,  I had 2 birds and a bogie = 1 under. Back nine... 2 bogies and 2 birdies = Even...  overall 1 under  71.    At the end of the round,  the temperature was still under 50 deg F...

This was only my second under par round ever!    And ironically,  it was right around the same time last year when I had the other under par round. 

The Summer was a struggle finding the right combo with my clubs and getting into the rhythm.   Finally about last month found a Driver shaft that really worked well followed by a putter and then 2 weeks ago got my iron shaft woes taken care of.   The only club in the bag now that still needs a bit of adjusting is the 3 wood.    But I think I'm pretty close.    The fairways are really soft and greens are quite slow.    Distance performance was severely challenged due to the low temperature and almost zero roll...    Just had to go up a club on pretty much every shot.    One thing that was easier for me was the fact that I didn't have to worry about wild bounces when the ball landed.       

Was a good day today!!   Next stop... sub 70s!! 

My current set up: 

- Ping G410 LST Driver / Atmos Tourspec Black 5TX  45.25"  D4  Standard hosel setting 9deg.  Neutral weight position.

- Ping G410 LST 3 wood / Atmos Tourspec Black 5TX 43"  D2.5  16 deg loft setting.   (still needs tweaking!!) 

- Adams A12 Pro Hybrid 20 deg / Crazy STP 85  40"  D3 

- Seven SC 5-PW /  Project X LZ 5.5  Standard Length  D3 

- Cleveland JDM RTX 2.0 Precision Forged (Matsuyama model)  50 - 54 - 58 / Modus 120 X, D3 to D4 

- Evnroll ER2 Custom Finish 35" w/Gravity Grip  or  Benock Blue Dragon II 34.5" 

Edited by nobmontana

Great scoring nob. Isn't it just a case of we do all our gear testing in the spring and summer, therefor everything is pretty much dialled in when the colder weather hits.

Similar to me (pretty much) the only JDM gear in your bag are the irons/wedges.

Congrats nobs...Must have been a fun round. Nice set up, 5.5s are a good shaft.

Maybe the colder weather held you to play within yourself, then just take that extra club like you said. 

Thanks all for your kind words!!!    Another theory I had was the bundle of clothing I had that morning ... which obviously can restrict some free movement in your swing. 

I was thinking perhaps a bit of limited movement has put my swing in check ... not allowing me to over swing even if I tried. 

18 hours ago, D22marshall said:

Well done on the scoring with the ping g410 at 45.25 how are you getting d4? Did you change the weight in it? 

I have my 410 plus at 44.5 d2 or is your shaft counter balanced?

Yea...  I used an older Ping "Gold" grip (+1/32" @ 58g )  plus added a 2g strip of lead tape underneath the grip.  Otherwise it would have been D7!!  

The shaft itself is not counter balanced.   Not sure what it is with this build but the natural shots are a baby fade and very consistent.  I can straighten it or draw it with a stringer grip and 

flattening my swing.   Even then, it will never be enough to hook.    The ATMOS TS Black is not the best feeling shaft ... especially coming off from Syncagraphite Loop .. 

Have gone back and forth between the Loop and ATMOS and ATMOS is so automatic for me it's a no brainer from a performance perspective.   Still have a Loop shaft in my Grandista RSD which has lost playing time lately, but still a keeper.  

Have you tried the new G425 yet?    So why did they release this first in AU JP and KO this time around? 

So many "unused"  brand new, head only parts being sold on YAJ... Gut says more than half are fakes....  

On 10/25/2020 at 2:21 AM, Ian-500 said:

Great scoring nob. Isn't it just a case of we do all our gear testing in the spring and summer, therefor everything is pretty much dialled in when the colder weather hits.

Similar to me (pretty much) the only JDM gear in your bag are the irons/wedges.

That's what I was thinking too.   I mean... I tell myself at the start of the season "I want to score low..."   and yet I go and start trying new clubs which works completely opposite against my scoring goals.    Even now.... I'm itching to try the G425 family of woods as well as TSi ....   Gotta stop this!   Could I set these feelings aside for next season?   Not sure... but I should really really try! 🙂   I have nothing against JDM woods. I still love them, but for scoring low, I need ample forgiveness.  

Edited by nobmontana

I have had a g425 driver come to me had to build up a few shafts for it but I didn’t get to hit it. 

Looks very good better than 410 imo and owner is very impressed with it, but like all things new we always get over excited about them. 

My 410 is going well enough not to change yet I will wait until they come down in price in 6 months. 

No idea why we got them issued here first.

On 10/27/2020 at 7:32 PM, D22marshall said:

No idea why we got them issued here first.

You guys are the test bed of the world. Human iron byrons.

On 10/28/2020 at 11:21 PM, D22marshall said:

My sons name is Byron 😊

😂

Well done Nobs. I like the over swing theory. BTW what ball are you playing and do you change in cold weather?

The BS Tour B RX that I play normally are soft enough I can probably use it through the colder weather.  

However, I just tried the Chrome Soft yesterday and shot 73. 

They felt really nice especially with my irons and wedges in 40 deg F temp.   

I may try the AVX this weekend to see how they compare.   Tour B RXS is on my list to try as well.  

On 11/12/2020 at 7:04 AM, nobmontana said:

The BS Tour B RX that I play normally are soft enough I can probably use it through the colder weather.  

However, I just tried the Chrome Soft yesterday and shot 73. 

They felt really nice especially with my irons and wedges in 40 deg F temp.   

I may try the AVX this weekend to see how they compare.   Tour B RXS is on my list to try as well.  As youn know 

As you may know as a volunteer marshal I play free 4-5 days per week. My one work day is not so busy so I have ample time to find lost balls. As such I try just about everything and agree with you on the Chrome Soft and I do like the B RXS. I also like the Vice Tour Soft, Titlest Tour Soft and the AVX ok but in cold weather I like some of the Lady balls too.