Picked up an OnOff Labospec RD-247 R5 fairway

nobmontana

After pretty extensive search for a high performing 5W... decided to give these a try. 

Titanium Face and Body with Tungsten Sole plate.   Based on available reviews,  it is supposedly easy to hit as any 5W but goes as long as any 3W.    Will be shafting with a Loop FW7 shaft.   I am hoping these will work well!  

Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 10.57.46 AM.png   

My R5 arrived today.   Went straight to the range to try it out.  The shaft is a LABOSPEC Hashiri 50 Stiff which is a bit too light and a bit too flexy. 

The power trench slit on the top wasn't too bad.  I probably won't notice it after a while. 

While dispersion was all over the place due to the shaft,  I saw some good distance numbers close to or about the same as my 3 wood.   

Feel and sound were pretty nice as well.  Not super high pitched.  Soft but punchy metallic sound.  

So far so good!!    Will reshaft over the weekend... 

Nice pick up Nobs. I have always been a fan of Labospec FWs. 

My current gamer is the 358 3W with the tungsten weight. Not much beats it. Great feel and sound.

The best shaft I have used in this head is the Fire Express Type D. Very similar characteristics to the Max WBQ, which is one of my favorite driver shafts. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have now tried a couple of different shafts for this 5 wood.  

First tried the Loop FW7 in SX which was pretty good but felt a bit heavy.    Then tried a lighter ATMOS Black Tourspec 5TX which is the same shaft I have in my driver.... 

This was not a good match....   Then,  I used a Fire Express 2014 Prototype 1 (AKA BX70)  and this is working well so far.   I'll play this set up for now. 

Distance is averaging about 210 carry with 15 to 20 yards of roll... so total of about 230 yards which is really all I want from a fairway wood.

Glad I made the switch from a 3 wood to this 5 wood!!    Now waiting on a matching 21 deg RB-247U Hybrid !!   🙂

nOBS I still have that TRPX FW shaft. Id be interested in your Looop

On 12/14/2020 at 4:34 PM, nobmontana said:

I have now tried a couple of different shafts for this 5 wood.  

First tried the Loop FW7 in SX which was pretty good but felt a bit heavy.    Then tried a lighter ATMOS Black Tourspec 5TX which is the same shaft I have in my driver.... 

This was not a good match....   Then,  I used a Fire Express 2014 Prototype 1 (AKA BX70)  and this is working well so far.   I'll play this set up for now. 

Distance is averaging about 210 carry with 15 to 20 yards of roll... so total of about 230 yards which is really all I want from a fairway wood.

Glad I made the switch from a 3 wood to this 5 wood!!    Now waiting on a matching 21 deg RB-247U Hybrid !!   🙂

BX70 F4 is a very good shaft,  Soft feeling but not loose. I have one in the Jbeam KZ 5.....Very solid set up. Love the look of the exposed composite on the lower shaft and the crown of the driver.

I have the F3 inbound for a FW, probably going in my Modart 14* 

kz1.jpg

kz2.jpg

kz3.jpg

What a great looking driver head that is. Need a review of this.

It is a great combo lads. Both the shaft and the head are very impressive, not one more than the other which was surprising. I was more interested in the head on purchase but this shaft is superb, first time I've tried the BX....Given I use the RB in my modart + and the max BQ in a couple of others this shaft feels like the perfect in between, the soft feel of the RB and stubbornness of the Max, very smooth but precise indeed.......But finlay a JBeam driver that isn't a low spin monster, amazing sound and feel with the carbon construct. Definitely one worth trying.

The RB-247 U3 Hybrid arrived yesterday... it's shafted with the stock Labospec Shinari U70 in Stiff...   As with many of the stock Japanese club shafts,  I was not expecting much from it....  WRONG!!  Though I've only had a short range session,  this UT is so much more forgiving than my current gamer Adams A12 Pro....  The Shinari shaft is so smooth but not whippy.   In my 20 shots or so,  all shots were pretty straight to a baby draw...  easy to hit a fade too.   getting about 200 yards I think. Plenty of height to stop on the green too which I was not getting from my Adams.   I'll need to re-grip since the stock OnOff grip is just too small for me.  But I think this stock head shaft combo is excellent as is.  Very happy with it!!   On the other hand,  I am again tinkering with the shaft in the R5 5 wood.   I have a ATMOS Black Tourspec 5TX in my G410 LST driver and love the consistency and predictability of my shots lately with it.  So I thought I'd put in the same shaft in the R5 head.  Well, it works very well!   Tad lower trajectory than  the FEx BX70 and it is also about 10g lighter too...  

IMG_3441.jpg