MP 20 Reviews

Hutch

I have been eyeing these of for a while. Wasn't a big fan at first given no more Yoro to be produced, sort of took the edge of anything Mizuno for me, but these have been a bit of a creeper....The more I see them the more there is to like....... Looking for reviews on the new or the original version.

I found the following article which is not so much a review but more of an overview on the heritage.

Mizuno has made many great irons during its 113 years, but there’s one particular model that’s known among forged iron connoisseurs as the “father of the modern muscleback”.

Related: Best golf irons 2020

That’s the Mizuno TN-87, which was produced in the mid-late 1980s for Japanese legend Tommy Nakajima.

Forged iron stickler Nick Faldo loved the shape of Nakajima’s irons, so his favourite blades were based on the TN-87, and over time, the iron became the Mizuno MP-29, which Tiger Woods played early in his career. And if rumours are to be believed his MP-29s have formed the blueprint for his Titleist, Nike and TaylorMade musclebacks since.

Mizuno MP-20 MB and TN-87 irons

Mizuno unveils new MP-20, MP-20 MMC and MP-20 HMB irons

Mizuno MP-20 MMC iron Review | Equipment Reviews | Today's Golfer

Edited by hutchy

I've tried them during my iron shaft fitting .    Like any other Mizunos they felt great ...  I used the MMC model and they did have a touch of offset.

I know they've used copper underlay in these but honestly could not tell if they were or not.    

Eventually, when I have nothing else to tinker with,  I will start using the Yoro MP-33s that I have stashed away!   

Perhaps I will need to reshaft when I am ready as they currently have NS1150GH Stiff in them.  (too sturdy)  

Thanks for the info Nobs.....a touch of offset can be ok in the long irons.

Always been tempted by the Mizuno, actually tried to get a set of the MP 66 before they were discontinued.

Your Yoro 33 will be a nice project. I know you have tried the lite weight shafts and always tinkering with shafts.

If you get the chance Nobs, I highly recommend the Nippon Wrap-tech S hard stepped once, with the extra PW Tipped 1/4 inch. You will use pretty much the whole shaft. These are outstanding shafts and stand up very well considering the lower weight. Feel and accuracy is outstanding with no twist in the butt and upper middle shaft. The weights and tolerances are pretty spot on also.

Edited by hutchy

7 hours ago, nobmontana said:

I've tried them during my iron shaft fitting .    Like any other Mizunos they felt great ...  I used the MMC model and they did have a touch of offset.

I know they've used copper underlay in these but honestly could not tell if they were or not.    

Eventually, when I have nothing else to tinker with,  I will start using the Yoro MP-33s that I have stashed away!   

Perhaps I will need to reshaft when I am ready as they currently have NS1150GH Stiff in them.  (too sturdy)  

Nobs, I've used the NS1150GH Stiff for the last 14 years.

I'm getting older.

What are you considering as a replacement for the NS1150GH Stiff? 

Currently, I am using Project X LZ 5.5 but I also do well with the Modus 105 Stiff.   

By the time I decide to use the MP-33 set,  I might need to drop a flex on these shafts.  

I also currently use NS950GH Stiff which I feel are one of the best shafts that Nippon has released.  

Winter golf is easier with the 950GH.  I tried the 950GH Neo recently but I think the originals felt better overall. 

Sorry Hutchy, did not mean to divert off topic.   

I do want to try the MP20 HMB made of forged Cromoly.   Long time ago I used to have these SYB wedges that were made of Cromoly and really like it.  They felt as good as any carbon steel head.  I think Fourteen also used Cromoly with many of their previous wedges.  

More recently, Yamaha RMX 120 then the MP-20 HMB as well as JPX 921 Forged.  

Supposedly, Cromoly provides distance gains without sacrificing too much feel of carbon steel forged irons. 

I'd rather try one piece Cromoly forged over steel + forged multi material heads.