Low Spin/Low Launch Driver Shafts...

DMG

Generic callout to TSG'ers for thoughts and opinions on low spin/low launch driver shafts. Keen to hear experiences, recommendations, etc.

I have a couple new driver heads I'd like to experiment with. My typical drive is high and spinny (and slicey 🤪 ), and while I know I need to make swing changes, I'm wondering if a specific shaft category may assist. We don't have quality fitters close to where I live, so experimentation (while often expensive) is how I'm doing it at the moment.

Apologies if this is an old thread subject... but couldn't find anything recent after searching.

If you have slicey shots, I think using a low spin low launch shaft will only exacerbate the slice.   To drop the spin,  draw shots are most effective. 

Perhaps trying a more draw biased head can help with your slice and may even help drop your spin. 

Having said that,  there are many Low/Low shafts available today.   lately I have had very good luck with Fujikura Low/Low shafts.  ATMOS TS Black is my current gamer.  Fujikura Speeder TR are very good Low/Low shaft as well. My latest experiment was  Ventus Black but it was a 60 Stiff but I want to use 50g range in my driver so I will be trying the Ventus Black 5X to be released in March as Japan only.    Previously tried Diamana White range shafts ( Whiteboard,  Ahina)  which served me well.    Kurokage XT nd XD were also pretty nice.  I don't mind HZRDUS Yellow or HZRDUS Smoke Yellow,  but HZRDUS shafts generally feel a bit boardier than Japanese brand shafts. 

Oh.. and Fujikura Speeder Evolution II or IV or VI ( the even numbered versions )  are considered mid-low launch, low launch as well. 

They use very advanced high grade material with the Speeder Evolution Series.   Speeder Evo shafts are typically more friendlier and smoother feeling that the Fujikura USA products like the ATMOS and Ventus. 

Forgot to mention Graphite Design Tour AD BB, GP and the newer XC are all low-mid launch / low spin shafts as well. 

Then there are the boutique JDM brands and the list goes on and on.... 

26 minutes ago, nobmontana said:

If you have slicey shots, I think using a low spin low launch shaft will only exacerbate the slice.   To drop the spin,  draw shots are most effective.

Awesome, thanks for all the info and shaft options Nobs. I didn't realise the low spin may further impact the slice. I thought by removing the back spin it would also lessen the side spin... this is great info for me to further research!

I second what Nobs wrote re low spin shafts and slice. Often those shafts are tip stiff and the head will not have a chance to square at impact. I liked your first comment about working on your swing. Find a good teached to help fight that outside in motion first. 

Lower swing speed and shafts with a softer tip may help in fighting the slice. I would not start with draw biaised heads as thet will prevent you from making proper swing adjustments. Just my two cents worth.

1 hour ago, bngolfer said:

I second what Nobs wrote re low spin shafts and slice. Often those shafts are tip stiff and the head will not have a chance to square at impact. I liked your first comment about working on your swing. Find a good teached to help fight that outside in motion first. 

Thanks BN. 

Thoughts on on softer tip shaft but with a stiffer butt and mid section? Reason I ask is that even though a softer flex shaft likely suits my swing speed (still a beginner), I just hate the way they tend to feel 'floppy'. I'm currently gaming a HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.0 70 in my M2 and love the way it feels, but sounds like it may be causing more harm than good.

Yes, totally hear you RE lessons... and agree. Just need to find a good teacher.

Try to hit up on your shot and get real shallow. One problem i found that people think that they already shallow enough but in reality not so much or not at all. 

IMO Shafts type play little part on this although i agree you need a shaft that will help square the head at impact, check on the swing weight as well. Hope this helps

11 hours ago, 2jzpowered said:

Try to hit up on your shot and get real shallow. One problem i found that people think that they already shallow enough but in reality not so much or not at all. 

IMO Shafts type play little part on this although i agree you need a shaft that will help square the head at impact, check on the swing weight as well. Hope this helps

Thanks! When I do make the adjustment to shallow my downswing I see much better results. Not natural from me so hard to replicate, but will work on repetitions. 

Have a look at the Crazy Noir range Dave. Way back when I first started with JDM shafts and also suffered a high fade, Tario who used to be one of the mods on here suggested the TJ 46 Noir.....and for good reason. Its not a cure for a fade or wont magically give you a low launch draw, but it had an effect on my feel for the shot, it could have been all perception, or indeed better flight stats, I can put my finger on it but it definitely felt better. It was my first JDM shaft which I did keep for quite a while.

30 minutes ago, hutchy said:

Have a look at the Crazy Noir range Dave. Way back when I first started with JDM shafts and also suffered a high fade, Tario who used to be one of the mods on here suggested the TJ 46 Noir.....and for good reason. Its not a cure for a fade or wont magically give you a low launch draw, but it had an effect on my feel for the shot, it could have been all perception, or indeed better flight stats, I can put my finger on it but it definitely felt better. It was my first JDM shaft which I did keep for quite a while.

Awesome Hutchy, thanks for that. More research here I come!

HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.0 70  is as anti left shaft there is.  🙂     and the thing is like a telephone pole!!   You are a monster!! 🙂  

As for draw biased heads,  believe it or not, pretty much all heads today are somewhat draw biased with internal weighting.   

the 'D'  type heads are just more biased than the standard.   Personally I've learned that having a bit of a draw weighted head combo'd with tip stiff anti left shafts 

allows me to hit controlled fades still with decent spin.   But that may just be me.  

Oh and BTW,  HZRDUS Smoke Green are probably one of the lowest launching lowest spinning shaft on the market today.     

1 hour ago, nobmontana said:

Oh and BTW,  HZRDUS Smoke Green are probably one of the lowest launching lowest spinning shaft on the market today.     

OMG... crap... that means I REALLY need to work on my swing then! (kind of knew that)

Thanks again for the info!