Seven MCB....Modus 115 Tour Limited

Hutch

Tonight project was adding some black paint-fill to the stunning looking Seven MCB then shafting them with the new modus limited tour Nickel shaft, which I'm now glad I didn't use on the Fujimoto FT1. Simple black silver ring ferrules with Xroz black silver grips. I was a bit nervous the shafts may be a bit heavy so I have soft stepped them which losses a touch more shaft cut in the process, the shaft weight came down to 107g. A couple of swings at home this-evening and they do feel good, but the real test will be out on course tomorrow.

First time use of these shafts and the Seven MCB tomorrow, probably haven't looked forward to using a set up like I am this one for quite a while. I have to say the Seven design and quality is definitely leading the way from what I can see, I will get to feel them tomoz.....The Build does look stunning. I hope they live up to expectations.

sev1.jpg

sev2.jpg

sev3.jpg

sev4.jpg

sev5.jpg

sev6.jpg

sev7.jpg

Edited by hutchy

14 minutes ago, nobmontana said:

She’s a beauty !!!    Let us know how the new Modus plays!! 

Will definitely come back with how they went. I only shafted the 5-6 irons for now.

Wowzers! 

5 hours ago, DMG said:

VERY nice Hutchy! Can't wait to read how they went...

Bloody hot today in QLD Dave.....Will have to head out around 3pm when its a bit cooler, I'm chomping at the bit......

34* with 61% Humidity :tsg_smiley_beach:

6 hours ago, hutchy said:

Bloody hot today in QLD Dave.....Will have to head out around 3pm when its a bit cooler, I'm chomping at the bit......

34* with 61% Humidity :tsg_smiley_beach:

It's like bloody winter down here mate!

Ok so I played a course for the first time today, as well as first time use of the Seven 115 combo. Very nice course, very well maintained....Nice tight mowed fairways making good ball striking a must, which was handy for testing irons. I took an array of drivers, with the Dead or Alive Crazy STP VS Seven Modus Limited 115 Tour.

This was a good test for the Sevens as the DOA Crazy combo would take some beating for feel and distance, with the only weakness of this combo being, they over draw or over fade when you put some action on the shot. Hard to judge in that regards as they are so direct when shooting straight at a target.

mc3.jpg.4a8b86e69c57e2f88a3f508de3296d67.jpgmc5.jpg.e4fcbc3c7891753bc7c3b41fd211c107.jpg

I had to wait till the 3rd hole to pull out the 6 Irons for both set ups. 135 Meters to the pin on the range finder, up hill 1 club and wind slightly hurting & across from the right.

mc2.jpg.b526b70da8e790bb925687c7b9775dff.jpgThis was the drive with the trusty 358, so I dropped a second ball right next to this one as the Yamaha RPM had gone a touch further but just in to the rough. This lie was perfect. 

I would normally play a 7 iron from this sort of distance up hill, but as the wind was slightly hurting and across I thought this was the perfect time for a 6 Iron with a fade holding it up against the wind allowing me to fully commit with the 6 iron.

Both combos felt great through the strike zone. the Crazy Epon had that definite kick you can feel though impact and most of us know how the Epon forgings feel so no surprises for me with this combo, but as I said these love to be hit straight. Flight was great, my distance control for this club was spot on as you would expect having gamed this combo before.... but it did leak out to the right, just short of pin high. Slight over fade in to the wind. No drama other than a bunker between me and the pin short-side....on an up-slope with a great lie. That's the positive spin haha, the reality was different.....

mc1.jpg.4db4fa513816b31e8a9392ad38948388.jpg

Pulling out the Seven for the first time was something I had looked forward to for quite some time. Even more so with this new 115 shaft....Although being skeptical about it at first, as I really disliked the 105 I decided to give them a try. Am I glad I did that.!! Right away with the practice swings and the body warmed up i could feel that Modus 120 soft sensation, and not the 105 harshness.... Felt good.

I stepped up and nipped it of the up-slope with the hands pushed forward. The flight was strong to mid with a baby fade against the wind, the ball had that acceleration through the mid flight zone where it seemed to rise more steeply towards the end of its trajectory allowing it to drop and stop. It looked great through the air, felt even better through the impact zone, and was sure it had landed within 10 FT of the pin, but hard to tell with the green being above my eye level...When I got up to the green I was very surprised at how long this had gone. The ball had gone a good 10 meters further than a expected, this couldn't have been a flier as the fairway was like a bowling green, so it must have been the shaft and head combo, which over the next few holes I found out to be the case.

mc6.jpg.476800d27b5e78a5457b4e37bc079b8a.jpg

The modus combo was on average 10m further on every shot with the shaft feeling like it was working with my timing just perfectly. This is probably one of the best steel shaft I have used....so far anyway. So after 1 round with 2 clubs...Its a big call but....I will be selling the DOA with the Crazy STP...Love these shafts and heads.! what a combo. Time to build and try the rest. 

sev3.jpg.a618d8d4e05e0dca45bec21d93cb0f0c.jpg

I had always been an Epon fan and for good reason right! But of late it looks like Epon have clearly lost the plot. Well they have lost me anyway.

So moving on to something different was always a throw up what to use, but even more than that was the constant chopping and changing of shafts, whats the best weight, what had the best feel, steel or graphite. It was getting pretty tiring always re shafting heads I liked. And to be honest its probably partly the reason for selling some of the irons I loved, but was just over changing the shafts in them time after time....However I am please to say that search is over. Yes after one round I will order another set of these shafts and chase up a set of Seven SC if and when they become available again. 

Edited by hutchy

The Yamaha 4.6v is one of the all time best JDM heads. Love it. Looks like a nice course. We'll play golf (in the UK) in early March hopefully

Nice on-the-course review Hutchy!!  Great to hear about the nice feel you were getting withe the 115 shafts. 

I am really hoping that Nippon will soon make these shafts available as part of their regular offerings. 

For now,  my SCs with Project X LZ 5.5 are working really well so I am not in a hurry to reshaft ...   but I am considering putting these 115s in my Seven SCs once the normal versions become available. 

As for the added distance you were getting with the MC+115s  I am not surprised since I've heard this claim from other MC owners before.  

I think this is what happens when you have a well designed iron head with optimized CG,  and the Modus 115s must match your swing much better than the STPs. 

6 hours ago, Ian-500 said:

The Yamaha 4.6v is one of the all time best JDM heads. Love it. Looks like a nice course. We'll play golf (in the UK) in early March hopefully

Well Ian, hopefully its a mild winter early spring over in the UK and all the courses open up. The RPM is defiantly one of my top 5 drivers, and your love of it back when was what made me try it. 👌

6 hours ago, nobmontana said:

Nice on-the-course review Hutchy!!  Great to hear about the nice feel you were getting withe the 115 shafts. 

I am really hoping that Nippon will soon make these shafts available as part of their regular offerings. 

For now,  my SCs with Project X LZ 5.5 are working really well so I am not in a hurry to reshaft ...   but I am considering putting these 115s in my Seven SCs once the normal versions become available. 

As for the added distance you were getting with the MC+115s  I am not surprised since I've heard this claim from other MC owners before.  

I think this is what happens when you have a well designed iron head with optimized CG,  and the Modus 115s must match your swing much better than the STPs. 

Thanks mate....for the info about similar results with the Seven MCB...It really is a very well made, great feeling head. A great combination. If you are playing the sort of golf you have mentioned why change Nobs. Sounds like you are having fun with your current set up. These are worthy of a try if you are already considering a change up, hopefully they go in to STD release.

Chrome shaft with Black Modus decal please N.S.Pro team.

1 hour ago, DMG said:

Excellent write up mate, enjoyable read. Glad they are working out for you!

Thanks Dave....It was an enjoyable exercise for me. I think it helped make a decision a lot faster putting down in a rolling review. I will do again with other gear.... time permitting.

6 minutes ago, hutchy said:

Thanks Dave....It was an enjoyable exercise for me. I think it helped make a decision a lot faster putting down in a rolling review. I will do again with other gear.... time permitting.

I plan on doing the same mate... once I get the JBeam shafted up, and get some other goodies organised! Will have a HUGE disclaimer up front... Review by a NEWBIE! ha

4 hours ago, hutchy said:

Thanks mate....for the info about similar results with the Seven MCB...It really is a very well made, great feeling head. A great combination. If you are playing the sort of golf you have mentioned why change Nobs. Sounds like you are having fun with your current set up. These are worthy of a try if you are already considering a change up, hopefully they go in to STD release.

Chrome shaft with Black Modus decal please N.S.Pro team.

You are probably right.  The PX LZs are great shafts.  They just don't have the tight tolerances as Nippons.    

This is noticeable when building the set.   When you have heads as precisely made as Sevens, I'd prefer to have shafts that are high quality as well.   Thats all. 

1 hour ago, nobmontana said:

You are probably right.  The PX LZs are great shafts.  They just don't have the tight tolerances as Nippons.    

This is noticeable when building the set.   When you have heads as precisely made as Sevens, I'd prefer to have shafts that are high quality as well.   Thats all. 

Yes I get you....I think the tolerances of the Nippon & Shimada are way better suited for top quality forgings. The Nippon Wrap Tech I have will be kept for a lightweight option when I find the right heads.