Set offerings for irons these days

dickyfowler

How ridiculous for manufacturers to advertise just 4 irons as the base set. You see it time and again -- just go to the Shop here for example. Never met anyone yet who bought only 4 irons. It is bloody stupid and misleading. And they also need to start dropping 3 and 4 irons from sets -- very few people play them any more.  The most common "set" purchased these days starts with either a 5 or 6 iron and goes through to a GW.

While I have no need for the time being to buy those types of iron sets,   I'm sure there is a market out there who just want a 7-PW or something so they can do the longer clubs in UTs and fairways.    From that regard,  I don't see anything wrong with it.   If I was that type of player, I'd be annoyed if every set on the market were 5-PW when I don't need all of the clubs in the set.    

Edited by nobmontana

TM released a black version of the P790 irons last week and the only option was 4 iron up - bloody ridiculous.  Manufacturers need to find a way to offer buyers only the irons they want. There are now millions of 3-4 and 5 irons sitting silently in garages and closets around the world. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2021 at 3:51 PM, d**kyfowler said:

TM released a black version of the P790 irons last week and the only option was 4 iron up - bloody ridiculous.  Manufacturers need to find a way to offer buyers only the irons they want. There are now millions of 3-4 and 5 irons sitting silently in garages and closets around the world. 

So very true. 

• 1 month later...

I am not a fan of the 7-W iron sets. 5 irons for $1000+. That's crazy. I am 35 still play 3i and 4i. As years go by less and less companies even make those irons. So can't have a whole matching set if you want them all. 

Then on top that if I want a set that includes those clubs either certain sets do not make them period or I need to drop like another $500+ to get them.

I remember growing up till about my mid 20s u could get fitted for a set of clubs and order the irons as singles to get all the irons you want, or if a set came 5-W you could also order the 4i and not pay a ridiculous price. 

I fell club makers are looking at their customer base as old and have money so charge them the same price for 5 clubs instead of the 7-8 club set. That what they don't get, they will fill with hybrids of some kind.