Picked up a wonderful budget set of forged irons

nobmontana

After recommending someone here on the forum for a forgiving set of forged irons, I got myself intrigued and ended up picking up a mint set of 3-SW ‘12 Tourstage X-Blade GR Forged for a mere $200 + shipping!!!  This model, head shape wise, resembles somewhat of the Ping Eye 2 irons but with less offset.
Bridgestone Golf Tourstage X-Blade GR Forged « StoreBreak.com – Away from the busy stores  Golf iron sets, Bridgestone golf, Go.png

It is one piece carbon steel forged. Something about the shape that has always kept me interested. The sole is wider than most player’s forged heads with nice leading and trailing edge relief.   Stock shafts were NS950GH WF in Regular flex which to my pleasant surprise actually worked great for my swing!! I’m really liking the feel of the regular flex much more so than the 950GH stiffs. They don’t feel whippy to me at all.   I am likely designating this iron set for the winter season as my Seven SCs are serving me well for the current playing season.   

Yea..,  i get that  view of ping. good price regardless!!!

As for iron  shafts...  ive had to drasticaly go back to beginnings  ive been using all  manner of NS light and regs.  last few weeks  from  v90reg, 850 reg, even back to  750 wrap tech,   then 1050. FINALLY ive gotten  back to  slightyl more mid weight this week,  im hititng the shimada 3001 cw  im rebuilding a set of miura   cb3001w. i mena with those modle no how  cud i not! ( before i put those crazies into play!!!) 

NS 950 as a  light iron range i think are THE best steel  iron  shatfs ever made for pretty much every one ( except samsqauatches....)  there is. 

if u need to get a  bit more funky,. tip them a bit to get more  flight and stiffen them up a tad.  or just get the  x 

awsome shafts, awsome flight,  love these shafts   

I've always liked the look of these 🙂

I've spent a couple of range sessions with these irons and interestingly,  I hit these so much straighter than my other irons.    

Feel at impact is not as dense as other player's forged cavity backs but these are quite a bit more forgiving.   It hits mostly straight but still workable left and right. 

Aaaand... I can hit the 20 deg 3 iron with ease!     If I can just learn how to let go of my ego... I feel that I should actually be playing these as my gamers.   

I might have to go do the iron shaft fitting again and really take a closer look at 950GH reg shafts...  It would be really interesting as I use 50X and 60X shafts in my driver and fw.   Just weird!   

• 3 weeks later...

I played with these GR forged and they are very playable.  The Regular shafts,  much to my surprise work very well for me. 

They were so good that I decided to reshaft my main gamers, the Seven SC's from the PX LZ 5.5 to the Crazy CBI-80 Regulars I had. 

A couple of range sessions later, I am happy to report that these Crazy CBI-80 and Seven SCs feel and play so much better for me than the Project X LZs. 

So I now have this funky set up in my bag with shaft flexes all over the place.  Having said that, I have a really good feeling so I will be playing with this set up for the Field day this weekend. 

• DR:  Ventus Black Velocore 5X
  • FW: Kurokage Proto TiNi 60 X 
  • Hyb: Ventus HB Velocore 7S 
  • Irons: Crazy CBI-80 Ltd Reg.  
  • Wedge:  Modus 105 Wedge 

I tend to feel that it is so much about swing weights being aligned. If they jump all over the place then I'm out. I play D1 driver, D2 3-wood, D3 irons, D5 wedges. My 2-iron is the issue as it is C8-9. Need to do something about that. Should come in at D2 to match the rest of my set.

As far as swing weights go… 

DR is D4.5  FW is D2.5 Hyb is D3 Irons are D1 to D2 Wedges range from D2 to D5 

All over the place…:)  

not surprised at d5 for driver.. no way u can get that lower without a counter plug in the grip with a 50 weight shaft.

ijust cant get over seeing 50 ......

people keep extoliing the ventus to me.

why??

• 2 weeks later...

Following my current trend for going lighter and flexier with my shafts,  I've picked up a Tour AD XC in SR flex which I will be trying out later today with my driver. 

It's possible that I'll see ugly duck hooks or something really bad.... but I just feel the Ventus Black 5X is just too much to handle and my swing just gets too sloppy because I try so hard to try and load the shaft.  

Similarly I'm also waiting on a VR6 S that I'll try in my 5 wood in place of the 2013 Kurokage TiNi Prototype 60 X ....   

I'll report back with my results. 

Just got back from the range.    Wow....  not sure what to say...   I feel like I've been going in the wrong direction all this time.   My swing has never been one that puts a lot of load on the shaft.   My transition has always been pretty quiet too.    So the XC 6 SR seems to be a really good fit.  I can time it right,  I can make an easy swing as well a pretty hard one, but the shaft does not give up on me.   I can totally work the ball both ways with ease and it doesn't curve aggressively or abruptly.    One thing that I do notice is that some drives look pretty spinny which is killing the distance.   But a low fade being spinny is expected.  I can hit the ball high on the face and it produced some high launch low spin balls that carried a long way   For the first time in a very long time,  I feel like I am actually able to control my drives.  left right low high...  The loading and unloading feel matches well with the regular flex iron shafts that I am using now.  Obviously, I need to give it more time to see how my on course performance will be impacted but the initial impressions are really really good!!   I also love the matte black finish with the matte gun metal tip area of these XCs!!   Very good shaft if you have a tendency of an early release.    And guess what, XCs are the ones in Matsuyama's Srixon ZX5 driver too.    Though his shaft is a XC in 8TX!!!   A Telephone pole!!!