Shot my lowest ever score today at a Red White and Blue tournament!

nobmontana

I played in a 4th of July  "Red White and Blue"  tournament this morning and to my surprise shot a career low of 69!!  

4 Birdies 1 Bogie.   How we play this Tournament is that we individually get to pick 6 holes to play from Red (Ladies) tees, 6 holes from Whites (Men's Regular) and 6 holes from Blues (Champion Tees).   Ever since dry season started, I've been struggling a bit and shooting between high 70's to low 80's.....  Just could not put together a round without having a couple of really bad holes. 

Then out of nowhere,  this happened.   The best part about it is that since we can't post this score due to the nature of how it's played, it won't affect my hdcp. 🙂  We have our Club Championship coming up in a month, so I need to make sure I remember how I played today.   

Shooting below 70 was this season's goal ....  so I am happy that I was able to achieve it....  then again it was not under normal playing style .... so maybe I shouldn't cross off my goal just yet.    Either way it was a really good day!! 

I hope everyone is doing well and playing lot's of golf.. though it has been harder to schedule tee times with so many more golfers now.    Happy 4th!! 

Awsome..... great stuff Nobs !

u may find u go low low low for a while now  have knocked off the  70s monkey.

hit lots of GIR and you will keep threatening    par every  round.

savour the moment, well done! 

Great round mate. Was there anything in particular you could put it down to? New driver combo, putter, Shafts...etc...What would you consider the game-changer in your gear?....Or everything just came together on the day

Well done nobs. I haven't played since May........

Good stuff Nobs!

Way to go Nobs. Let us know WITB for the 69.

I've been tinkering with my wood set ups as of recent and still continuing now... so let's see if I can remember. 

Another notable difference may be that on that weekend I got to play Saturday before going into the tournament on Sunday.   Saturday's round , I shot 80... but may have worked as a practice round?  it was the first time I played two days in a row in a long time.   

Anyway...  

- Driver  SIM2 9deg / 2013 Kurokage TiNi Prototype 60 S

- Fairway '20 SIM Ti 19deg 5W / 2013 Kurokage TiNi Prototype 60 X

- Hybrid '20 SIM Max 22deg 4H / Ventus HB Velocore 7S

- Irons Seven SC 5-PW / Crazy CBI-80 (red "Regular" ) 

- Wedges JDM Cleveland RTX 2.0 Matsuyama model  50 54 58 / Modus Wedge 105

- Putter '21 Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 / Stability Black shaft / Lamkin Deep Etched 

- Ball Bridgestone Tour B XS  

_____ 

Since then I'm still tinkering with my woods ....   Driver shafts,,,, I tried the XC in 6 SR as well as 5 S but could not get the right level of distance and control and I went back to the 2013 Kurokage...  which to me looks slightly spinnier at times but produces the most consistency and control.   Even tried last year's Tour Issue SIM driver in 9 deg with a Diamana D-Limited which turned out to be a super low spinner that produced knuckle balls that I could not control or keep the ball in the air.  This head is going back to the bay....  

As for my SIM Ti 5W I was having issues of hooking the thing occasionally so I tried a SIM Max 5W which helped me with eliminating the hook....  I could not figure out why the SIM Ti was hooking on me but later discovered that since I had the loft turned down to 17 deg,, the lie angle was up by 2 deg!!   I always thought that lower loft setting had a flatter lie!!   no so with the TM adapters .....  I was shocked to learn this....  the bonded SIM Max 5W was good but it just launched a bit high for my liking...  Played a couple of rounds with but just could not get the distance I wanted for a second shot on par 5's   ... So now I have a Callaway Epic Speed 16.5 deg 4W but built to 42.5 in with a heavier weight screw shafted with a Loop FW6TS ....this is working pretty well..  higher ball speeds than the SIM Max but with a bit more spin which helps with control.  Really forgiving and very neutral at address.   Not ridiculously open faced like the TM 5Ws.    

In preparation for the Club Championship coming up in a few weeks, since we'll need to play from the back tees,  I'm going to put a real 3W back in the bag... Have a Modart 14 deg on the way and  may try a Sub70 14 deg as well.   One of my playing partners has these Sub70 Tour model fairways and actually look and feel very good.  

For the Hybrid,  I've been rotating between last year's SIM Max 4H and SIM2 4H shafted with Ventus HB Velocore...  while I like them both,  I actually don't have much opportunity to actually use it on the course.    I'm waiting to try a Callaway Apex Pro 3H ...  

I know ...  I have a lot less JDM in my bag now... but ultimately,  I want to play what is best for my game.    I've tried some other irons too like latest Srixon forged and TM P7MC etc.... but I feel that my irons are where it needs to be as well as my wedges.   I may decide to play some of my other putters which are all blades, but for the current green conditions,  Scotty's mallet is working pretty well.   

Edited by nobmontana

Hi Nob. Regarding the SIM fairways, the Ti with 2* lower loft as a lie angle of 58*, so it should still have a lower lie angle than the Max 18* with a lie angle of 59.5*. Were the playing lengths different?

Also, if you need a new 3w, how tempted are you to try the new 300 mini driver in 13.5?

Yes you are right....  As you say,  the sim max FW has even a more upright lie...  but to me the face angle of the max is much more open compared to the Ti.   Why they have the fairways so upright is beyond me but my guess is that it is made to be anti slice?    Anyway, the Epic Speed FW 4W sits at a nice 56 deg lie with pretty much a square face angle which feels more natural to me.    I'm still kind of a newbie when it comes to TM adjustable hosels and how they affect the overall angles. 

The 300 Mini driver looks interesting....  but if it goes near driver distance and I can only use it off the tee  ...  I won't see much use. 

My fairway stats with driver sits around 67%...  so I don't really need a mini driver.    Something that will get me 220 to 225 carry. 

My 5W distance is around 200 to 210 carry..  which I can probably get to with a 3 hybrid as well.    

Thanks for sharing Nobs..... Did you try the Sim 2 3W? Wondering instead of going strong in 5 a weaker 3 would work with the lie angle helping flatten if you went this way.? Or even a direct shaft Max 3W 16.5.. Interesting that US woods seem to be leading the way ATM with performance. Not sure Irons or wedges will ever be better against JDM though.

Edited by hutchy

I shafted a Modart 14 with a Diamana D-Limited 60 S and also reshafted the Epic Speed 16.5 with a 2013 Kurokage Proto 60 X ,  

They were both built to 43" and close to D2  ....  Both go about 207 to 212 on average with the Yupitel.   Some really good ones go 220 ...  

The Epic Speed head produces higher ball speed and is more forgiving than the Modart.  

I do still like the look of the Modart as well as sound.   Epic Speed feels pretty good but has a kind of dead sound.