Just about to pre order 2 bikes for my 2 kids for Christmas....... Man its a bit of a trip thinking I had one of these when I was there age. Just a cool memory, I remember how I felt when I got my first BMX and my brother got his on Christmas morning..... Full circle...... Im probably more excited than they will be.

What did everyone have as there first cool bike at that age when a bike becomes freedom...

Im undecided what 2 to pick out of these 3.....Thoughts?

Vans PK Ripper

Skyway TA Pro

Mongoose Max Mayfield 

Old School BMX Mongoose Stranger Things Max Mayfield 20" BMX Bike

Old School BMX Skyway 2021 TA 20 PRO Replica BMX Bike White/Red Wheel

Old School BMX 2021 SE Bikes Vans PK Ripper Looptail 20″ BMX Bike Black

Edited by hutchy

I had a Raleigh Grifter for Christmas 1980. It lasted 6 weeks before it was stolen. I'd left out overnight in our back garden, and my mom told me when she picked me up from school the next. I was in tears....

_20210716_073741.JPG

1 hour ago, Ian-500 said:

I had a Raleigh Grifter for Christmas 1980. It lasted 6 weeks before it was stolen. I'd left out overnight in our back garden, and my mom told me when she picked me up from school the next. I was in tears....

_20210716_073741.JPG

Cool pic Ian...Wow....How good were those must be a similar age Ian I was also around 9 when I got a Chopper. I had it taken off me for crossing the main road on it. Then got it stolen outside the newsagents. Got a Grifter the next year for Chrissy. loved it...3 gears on the right hand grip if I remember. Was the predecessor to my BMX.

Going back to your decision, I think the Mongoose has a very 70's vibe going on, but my favourite from your pictures is the Skyway. Not a fan of the Vans. 

My youngest (7) loves his bike, but my eldest (10) has no interest in riding at all, so he stays on his scooter.

Yeh right. Similar age as my 2, 8 and 10, I thought exactly the same Mongoose and Skyway have more of the original BMX vibe.

My 2 also have the scooters but BMX is having a renaissance here in oz for kids atm + this will be there first real bike due to having scooters for so long......

I was sure the mongoose was from ET for some reason but apparently not. ET bike was this one. JDM

The BMX Boys of E.T. | Bmx bikes, Bmx bicycle, Vintage bmx bikes

After the gritter my BMX, coming from the UK..... was a Raleigh Ultra Burner. this was the exact same everything....great bike. I rebuilt it many times. 

1984 Raleigh Ultra Burner MK2 - BMXmuseum.com

Araya wheels & Sugino Stem. Great memory.

Edited by hutchy

My first cool bike was a BMX too. With pins in the front and back for doing tricks. It was a GT Pro. Out of the lot above - the Mongoose all the way for me. Classic. 

15 hours ago, bngolfer said:

My first cool bike was a BMX too. With pins in the front and back for doing tricks. It was a GT Pro. Out of the lot above - the Mongoose all the way for me. Classic. 

GT pro was another great bike..... Along with the Haro Firebird-freestyler, Quadangle and the Diamondback.

Stunt pegs were the go!!!

I think everyone had a BMX in that era. Just before Nike air, Getto blasters and breakdancing lol....

1988 GT Pro Series XL - BMXmuseum.com | Vintage bmx bikes, Bmx bikes, Bmx  cruiser

Edited by hutchy

• 5 months later...

In the early 80's I save up my paper route money and bought a Hutch frameset. and over the course of a year or so added more components (with the help of my parents) till I completed my bike. It full Hutch, except the cranks. those were too expensive plus I wanted a single piece crank. It was all chrome and black, and totally RAD!

Nice…Great build…You never forget your first BMX…

I ended up getting the kiddies these for Chrisy. Overthemoon.💕

Vans PK Ripper Looptail 

Mongoose Madmax

I’m jealous 🙄

I wand a Quadangle 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by hutchy

Nice. Hope they appreciate them. My two just want to game online....

Yes Ian. It seems a common theme these days. Trying to pull them away from the pads. I’m happy to say the bikes seem to have done that for spells more than anything I can say. So yes for now they are front of mind, Christmas morning was very good. The bikes went down a treat. For me as well. 😎

• 1 month later...