ACCRA TZ5 vs Fuji Ventus Blue Velocore - head to head comparo

nobmontana

In my journey to find an ideal shaft for my current driver,  I've recently picked up a couple of shafts that have been talked about a lot in the last couple of years.    ACCRA TZ5 55 M3 and Ventus Blue Velocore 6S...    head is a TM SIM2 ( in all black! )  that I've been using since January of this year.

Had a head to head comparison yesterday at the range.  My swing speed is normally around  95 to 100 mph now and occasionally reaching 105 or so.    At 54 yrs old,  my peak head speed is a thing of the past.   A good balance of consistency and distance is what I seek in my driving game.     My stock shot is a pretty straight baby fade but am able to work the ball pretty consistently. 

Prior to these shafts,  I've been gaming the 2013 Kurokage Proto TiNi 60 S for much of the Summer this year.   However, I felt that I was wasting a few yards due to higher back spin.    Prior to that, I did have a Ventus Black Velcore in 5X flex (Japan only spec) but I felt that the 5X flex was true to flex and thus waaay too much for my swing.  I've also tried a couple of Tour AD XC in different flexes but at the end could not get it to behave like the Kurokage Proto. 

Based on 5 shots each with the TZ5 and Ventus Blue,  the difference in performance was pretty clear.   Average carry distance on Top Tracer was around 225 yds with the TZ5 and  232 yds with the Ventus.   Dispersion was about the same.   Trajectory wise,  I did like the slightly lower trajectory of the TZ5.   Feel was another thing I liked about the TZ5 too.  Felt a bit softer at impact compared to the Ventus.  This is possibly due to the lower torque on the Ventus....  However, the thing I noticed with the TZ5 was that it was easier to put a hook spin.   This is not a desired characteristic since that can be trouble on the course.   The Ventus definitely produced more consistent and milder side spins for me.  At the end,  Ventus was longer and easier to work the ball left and right with no surprise movements.   the ball goes a bit higher and the feel is not as good .... but it is likely to provide better performance on the course for me.  

I wish I had tried the Ventus Blue sooner.   Since I am a high ball hitter I've always thought that I am better fit for a low launch shaft... and so I went with the Ventus Black initially but that thing was a different animal all together.  Ventus Blue for me is a mid-low launch but more than that,  I feel the flex profile is similar to the Kurokage Proto ... which seem to suit my swing well.  

30 minutes after I wrote the above.... I found a brand new unused Kurokage Proto 60 X on the bay.  (been looking for a while now! ) 

The Kurokage Protos are a bit on the softer side and the 60 S I used this season was just a bit too soft that it likely spun the ball too much.  Everything else about the shaft I loved.   The feel, simple dark grey ion finish.  only if it had less backspin ! 

I game the same KK Proto 60X in my 4 wood already and love everything about it and have no issues of it being too stiff..   Heck!  I now need to try the same shaft in the driver and see if will outperform or equal the Ventus Blue 6S from a performance standpoint and still maintain that smooth feel with dense impact.    

Will update once I have the shaft. 

A true seeker.