Questions on reshafting an Epon zen putter

Spoon

well i picked up a Dogatti pt135 for the zen , just planning in advance.

does anyone know the insertion depth of the hosel of the zen? looks pretty deep.

Or it could be half the hosel and if so and cut to 34.5-35" the putter will play

short if installed in a another putter that plays tapered shafts. 

really late to the dogatti bandwagon!

I think the biggest challenge when reshafting the Zen is to find a ferrule that is similar to the original.    You may be able to save the ferrule if you do it right. 

But if the stock shaft is a 355 taper,  then the stock ferrule may not work as the Dogatti is more or less a .370" tip.   the tip section can be sanded down to fit a .355 hosel ... 

6 hours ago, nobmontana said:

I think the biggest challenge when reshafting the Zen is to find a ferrule that is similar to the original.    You may be able to save the ferrule if you do it right. 

But if the stock shaft is a 355 taper,  then the stock ferrule may not work as the Dogatti is more or less a .370" tip.   the tip section can be sanded down to fit a .355 hosel ... 

Hi Nob I’ve studied how to remove the ferrule in advance. I’m able to remove iron ferrules and save them with a golfmechanix ferrule block which I use in conjunction w a shaft puller. Works! Also have hot water and lots of tape for back up  should be ok  

Regarding the ferrule yes  this may be the biggest challenge  I have a feeling ferrule is .370 in a .355 shimada pt120 taper shaft . Can use the hot water trick to expand the ferrule prior to install. Will comment once I build

13 minutes ago, Andew said:

You can save a ferrule by wrapping it in a wet sock prior to heating the hosel. That’s gonna be a sweet putter step post pics when done. 

Yup I use tape to cover up the ferrule. Has worked on all my irons jobs so far. 

It’s the ferrule installation into the .370 head I’m worried about. 

I'm not a fan of reaming out hosels personally...  typically ends up with the hole being off centered unless you have the right equipment. 

With graphite shafts with enough wall thickness,  I think sanding down the shaft tip is easier and the right way to do it.   Fujikura recommends this for their Ventus HB shafts which are .370 to be sanded down to .355 in case you want to use the shaft for driving irons.     If you are dealing with 60g iron shafts or something,  that's a different story. 

The Dogatti shaft is a 135g graphite putter shaft...  the tip section only has a small bore so the shaft can be sanded down without any worries of the integrity of the tip section.   Plus it's for a putter and hopefully, you're not putting a full swing:)  unless you are demonstrating to hit your putter 300 yards like Jamie Sadlowski used to do. 

For saving ferrules,  there is a product called "Club Shield Paste Gel"  from golf works that's supposed to work well.    

6 hours ago, nobmontana said:

For saving ferrules,  there is a product called "Club Shield Paste Gel"  from golf works that's supposed to work well.    

Yup saw that one I ordered a tub.