Has anyone tried the PRGR RSF Prototype Single Clover or Triple Clover?

nobmontana

Yeah... PRGR did a copy cat thing from Callaway in producing special edition driver heads.   Instead of Diamonds,  they used  "Clover"   🙂    

Been reading up on these two bad boys.   Single Clover looks to be a more deeper head with smaller profile at address.  Triple Clover seems to be the shallower type.    Both very hot and low spin. 

They both feature forward CG and a more open face angle (5 deg open) .   Only comes in 10.5 loft and still uses the BACOSY adjustable hosel system.   From what I can tell,  these heads are only available through direct PRGR shops in Japan as well as their fitting vans.  

Im starting to see these heads making its way into auction sites. 

I badly want to try the single Clover🍀

prgr.png

Edited by nobmontana

OK call me crazy but I took the plunge and picked up each of these heads last weekend.   Should arrive later this week.  Also picked up a PRGR RS5 3W, 5W and a 4H to test against my current gamers ( Cally Epic Speed FWs and Mavrik Hybrid )     Just gotta have matching woods ya know!! 🙂  

I've sold my SIM2 driver and been on the search for a new driver and tested a few Epic Speed Triple Diamond heads as well as a Mavrik 440 ...  I mean they all felt great and was pretty forgiving.. but none really got me excited.  In the mean time, I've been using my backup driver which is a 2016 Tour Issue PRGR RS-F and I really enjoyed hitting this thing!!  I can hit it as long as any of the new USDM heads and it's nearly as forgiving as the latest USDM heads....  I get much clearer feedback with the PRGR than with any USDM driver which effectively feel the same no matter where on the face you hit it.  The more I used the PRGR driver, the more I thought about trying their latest and greatest. Plus, I like the fact that PRGR does not have any alignment aid on their woods.   Minor issue perhaps, but it does matter to me.    

I'll provide reviews for each of the clubs sometime next week!!   I "may" have a full JDM bag again next week!!!   can't wait!! 

Nobs ,  about time...........................................,! 

Im keen to  hear  ur thoughts on these,   (not that  i need another driver)   but  im always keen to see PRgR s stuff, these days  PrGr is the only OEM i bother to look at  any more ,  i was  close to  getting an  RSF a cpl of yrs back,   gave it a proper whirl  but there wasnt  any  gain i saw over both the EGG1 and EGG 7  i have so  i didnt  end up getting one. 

In fact for  big heads  both  the older eggs were  easier to  hit  and hit  consistently i  thought. i wud  say the RSF had a   very nice  long ball that was  pure  off the middle  but  it was a huge head to my eye and not worth the sticker price over the old EGGS.

I   also thought  it   launched really low  as well,  (  diamana  B  blue in it which surprised me )  but the head size was too much for my eye , esp with that triangle shape.

The fws  look good...... all  prgr fw look good .! 

I got my RS5 5W yesterday and I had a chance to do a quick head to head against an Epic Speed 4W.   

I had a Kurokage 60X in the Epic and a Loop FW6TS SX (yes the one I was trying to sell the other day)  in the RS5. 

For the RS5,  I had to add about 7g of hot melt to get to a 42.5" length and D2.5 swing weight which is about the same build spec as the Epic. 

As a side note, this was actually my first time to do a hot melt on my own and so I believe the majority of the weight ended up near the hosel where I injected the glue. 

Not sure if that was the cause, but I ended up hitting a lot of rather strong draws with the RS5.  The Epic was really straight.  I'll need to adjust the hot melt position by heating up the head to move the glue more towards the toe and see if that does the trick.  if that does not work, I'll try a different shaft.. either the same Kurokage or an I'lima that I have sitting around.     The draw can also be caused by the more upright lie angle of the RS5 57.5 deg vs Epic 56 deg....  I occasionally hit the Epic 4W to the right as my miss so maybe its not a bad thing having a slight draw.   

Other than the slightly too much draw that I was getting,  I thought the performance was outstanding with the RS5.  The "Slash Groove" ( trench on the sole ) construction really helps get the ball up in the air even on misses low on the face which is great because that is always usually my miss on fairway woods off the deck.   The sound and feel was a bit more hotter than the Epic in a good way.... but still quite muted probably due to the hot melt that I added.  The Epic is very quiet and possibly a bit too muted.   Looks wise,  as Supo says the RS5 is a bit triangular and slightly larger footprint than the Epic,  however, it reminds me of the old Taylormade V Steel which I gamed or a long time, and it does look a lot more friendlier and easier to hit.  Looking at the most recent Titleist TSi fairway woods,  they are somewhat triangular as well..  Epic is a traditional compact pear shape head which looks very playable but at the same time a bit more intimidating and its got ugly chevron alignment aid and lip lines. 😞

on this first test: 

Trajectory:   Epic = 5 vs RS5 = 3 ( due to the draw bias on the RS5 ) 

Distance:  Tie  ( I mean they are both long based on loft..   16.5 Epic speed is slightly longer due to loft ) 

Forgiveness:   Epic = 4.5 vs RS5 = 5   ( not a huge difference ) 

Sound and Feel:   Epic = 4.5 vs RS5 = 5  ( not a huge difference ) 

Looks at address:   Epic = 4 vs RS5 = 5  ( RS5 looks much cleaner and friendlier )  

So at the moment,  the two clubs are at a tie.   🙂   Once the draw bias issue can hopefully be eliminated or reduced,  I can happily replace the Epic Speed fairway (which is an excellent performing fairway wood BTW )   

Edited by nobmontana

Shame they don't do a 16.5.

Draw bias issue is fixed!!   All I had to do was to heat up the heel area with a heat gun and got it hot enough so that the hot melt started to flow inside (guessing) .  then I let it cool with the toe side down... let gravity do its magic.     Took it out to the range and the draw bias is completely gone now!!   love it! 

Second range session: 

Trajectory:   Tie ... both very straight and neutral ! 

Distance:  Tie   

Forgiveness:   Epic = 4.5 vs RS5 = 5   ( not a huge difference ) 

Sound and Feel:   Epic = 4.5 vs RS5 = 5  ( not a huge difference ) 

Looks at address:   Epic = 4 vs RS5 = 5  ( RS5 looks much cleaner and friendlier )  

RS5 wins !!!   

I received the Triple Clover driver head as well as 3wood and 4UT on Friday.    took them out to the range so I'd have at least a quick hit before my round this morning. 

The RSF Triple Clover driver is no joke.  possibly the most edgy type of driver head from PRGR as a proper successor to the 2016 1st gen RS-F.  

RS-F '17 was good but RS-F '18 became tamed too much and the '20 RS5 was mediocre.   Glad to see there are some spirited soul left at PRGR to bring back true "player's "   type clubs.  

I played 18 holes with my trusty'13 Kurokage Proto 60 S shaft in it this morning and it felt pretty good.  Straight shots, low-mid trajectory, very controllable with very good distance.   absolutely no fear of the left!!  Sound and feel were very nice too.    Then after the round,  I went back to the range to try the Loop GK shaft which is probably a more low launch/low spin shaft compared to the Kurokage '13 Proto.  And boy,  the low spin character of the head really showed up with this combo.   It may be too low spin head for me to use at 9.5 deg loft.  May need to loft up to 10.5 deg.   I'm still waiting on the Single Clover head ... so I will be doing a lot of testing over the next couple of weeks and ultimately leave myself with only one of these driver heads.   First impression is quite positive!!

As for the Fairway and UT, while the range session was fine, I didn't get along on the course as well as I had hoped.  

They are not ready for prime time yet.  I'll give a few more tries ... but right now,  I feel the Epic Speed fairway and Mavrik hybrid may be the better playing woods for me. 

Edited by nobmontana

• 2 weeks later...

My RSF Single Clover head arrived last week and I tried it with the Loop GK SX, Kurokage '13 60S, Tour AD XC 6S and Accra TZ5 55 M3 

Kurokage '13 is at 45.5"  and the swing weight was D7...  just a bit too heavy.  and I don't have adjustable weights for these heads. 

Loop, XC and Accra all came out to be 45"  length wise and around D3.5 to D4.   right about where I like them.  

- I had the best results with the Loop GK SX.   Low to Mid trajectory,  easy to control left and right.  really heavy and dense feel at impact.  

- Kurokage '13 was just too long for the head weight.   Will continue to use it for my 2016 RSF head.   

- Accra and XC were both good but it did not Wow me over the Loop GK shaft.    

I feel like I can confidently take this RSF Single Clover + Loop GK combo to a narrow technical course where  good level of precision/control is required.  And as a bonus, this head is as anti left as a head can be. 

The Triple Clover head more or less plays similar but with slightly more emphasis on straighter shots.   If you were to describe the Single Clover like a muscle back,  the Triple Clover plays like a half cavity back.     Sticking with the Single Clover. 

The Triple Clover head will be posted on BST later this week.  

↓↓↓ Single Clover at address

IMG_4314.jpg

↓↓↓ Single Clover sole

IMG_4315.jpg

↓↓↓Loop GK front

IMG_4316.jpg

↓↓↓ Look GK back

IMG_4317.jpg

↓↓↓ Single Clover Logo

IMG_4318.jpg

↓↓↓ RS-F Prototype Triple Clover from top 

IMG_4324 2.jpg

↓↓↓ RS-F Prototype Single Clover from top 

IMG_4325 3.jpg

↓↓↓ RS-F Single Clover on left , Mavrik Triple Diamond on right

IMG_4326 2.jpg

↓↓↓ RS-F Triple Clover on left , Mavrik Triple Diamond on right

IMG_4327 2.jpg

↓↓↓ All three heads. 

IMG_4328 2.jpg

Edited by nobmontana

Well, I prefer the look of the triple. 

I actually prefer the shape of the Single Clover...  the face is a bit deeper and the toe area is rounded more.  Reminded me very much of the Grandista RSD I played a couple of seasons ago.    The Triple Clover is a bit more like a Titleist D2 shape.  a bit stretched towards the back and slightly shallow face.   I thought I was going to really like the Triple more based on pictures .. but in hand I liked the Single more.   Honestly,  I could probably game ether one really. 

It's interesting to compare the shape of the two PRGR heads against the  Mavrik Sub Zero Triple Diamond which in their own words is supposed to be a 'Shape preferred by tour players'    Single Clover took the toe shape of the the Cally and Triple Clover took the back half it seems.