Time to upgrade?

Albanyfx

Chris hooked me up with a Jbeam ZY-11 driver 4 years ago. Been one of my favorite driver since. My question to others is has there been any driver out actually “better”? Or just pure marketing? 

i tried my friends newish Callaway maverick sub zero, with low spin low launch shaft. It was ok, definitely NOT as forgiving as my ZY. My ZY def has a much higher fly, but it doesn’t roll much. Most likely courses here has been soft, big pitch mark and only hop once after it hands. The Maverick I tried didn’t roll out much either, maybe just another 5 yrd or 1 more hop. But I spray that driver all over, also inconsistent launch.  I’m sure it’s NOT the drivers fault, because the club is way heavier than my ZY.

long story short, is there any driver out there now actually worth upgrading or replacing? I see everyone is now using the Sim2.  My avg Jbeam launch angle from a GC2 is between 15-18degrees with about 2200-2600 spin. I'm about 97-100mph swing speed.

any advise or input is appreciated! 

My guess is that your friend's Cally was not a good fit for your swing.     JDM standard driver specs are very different from current USDM driver specs. 

JDM typically much lighter overall weight and swing weight.  About 305g,  D0 to D2 are typical for JDM drivers and around 315g and D3 to D5 for USDM. 

I've been playing USDM for the last couple of years and I don't see anything wrong with it.  Prior to that I played JDM drivers built to my specs, and I loved them. 

I really don't think there is a "better" or "worse"  from an absolute performance perspective.   It comes down to preference of shape,  size,  design, sound and feel. 

The only aspect of performance that may impact your choice may be the level of draw biasness ( not sure if that is a word) in some of the heads.     Even that can be adjusted on many of the drivers today.  

Between my PRGR and Callaway drivers,   though they have slightly different character in how the ball flies and how they sound and feel off the face,  I love them both and they are both easy to play for me. 

Having said all that, If you prefer to stick with JBeam,  yes,  JBeam has released numerous new models after the ZY-11.  some with even adjustable hosels....  however,  ZY-11 is still legendary with such unique design. 

Better........... ?

nah, i  certainly doubt it.

esp if u like that shape head , its pretty specific.

ive found it impossible to replicate the  "style" of the j-beams,  i cant go  past the 435,  re discoverd a   fondness for them again with my new  tweeeked swing, hitting them  quite a bit higher now  but still getting them straight as anything or with a tiny fade,  its  getting  me a lot more carry, and a bit  more consistency 

i simply  cant beat that head bec the shape of it suits my eye.

My other drivers  are just  about as  good but in a  totally different way/ shape, kamui kp..... astro tours... R/C  for example are ones id easily game in a big match but its hard  for  me to not take the 435 when i need to blast  a few more  on longer tracks esp with a bit of run to them.

if ur comfy with the ZY then theres no ther maker doing a better example of that style head .

grab another one for play, but if thats the KINGMAKER, not point changing it .

• 1 month later...

this post just highlights how poorly we Japan golf equipment lovers are serviced by this website and English-language golf sites in general.  There is so much good gear out there and constantly being upgraded but you get stark reviews and information - thus forcing most of us to take a leap of faith....which I often do. But it gets expensive when you guess wrong. More reviews and information is desperately needed. 

11 hours ago, d**kyfowler said:

this post just highlights how poorly we Japan golf equipment lovers are serviced by this website and English-language golf sites in general.  There is so much good gear out there and constantly being upgraded but you get stark reviews and information - thus forcing most of us to take a leap of faith....which I often do. But it gets expensive when you guess wrong. More reviews and information is desperately needed. 

I agree.

On 12/4/2021 at 1:22 PM, d**kyfowler said:

1000% agree. Especially with driver you spend $500-$1000. Or autoflex shaft for $900. I feel like it’s all hype. Last thing I ever tested that was a slight better was “jail-break” first came out. It gave me avg 3yrd more.  So I never got it back then. Now I just figure it’s been over 5years, and so many pros are using the sim2 driver so I went to test one my self with the stock shaft. It didn’t impress me much.  I live in a small town, so we don’t get those golf studios with 200 shafts on the wall with GCQ to test all the drivers.  

Dare I jump in and spend about 4 grand on these new Honma Beres Blacks ?????  If they don't suit me I'll just have to live under a bridge.