Mostly PRGR Bag in the works!

nobmontana

After getting the RSF Prototype driver and the RS5 Fairway wood,  I thought it would only be appropriate to pursue a near compete PRGR bag...  So... last week I picked up a set of TR500 irons in pretty decent condition...  They arrived at my doorsteps this morning and I took them out to the range after work with the stock DG S200 shafts... I was surprised at how forgiving it was for a set of forged irons as pure as they come.   They also felt buttery soft but the shafts were too darn heavy for me. So my Ezone MB heads were removed from my Project X LZ 5.5 shafts this evening and they are going to be replaced with the TR500 heads tomorrow. These are going to be really sweet.  

This Secondary bag will consist of: 

• DR: PRGR RSF Proto 🍀/ Loop GK
  • 5W: PRGR RS5 5W / Loop FW6TS
  • 4-PW: PRGR TR500 / Project X LZ
  • AW/SW: Cleveland RTX4 Forged / Modus
  • PT:  Gold's Factory 

IMG_4447.jpg

I can see that the lighting isn't great, but they do look soooo sexy. Can you compare them to your Ezone MB please Nob, usual things, size,shape, feel, sole etc....

Thanks Ian.   Sure.   here are the comparo's

• Toe to Heel Length:  TR500 > EZone
  • Sole Width: TR500 > EZone
  • Top Line: TR500 > EZone
  • Toe Shape: Ezone is pointier
  • Offset: EZone > TR500  (maybe a perception thing but it looks that way to me) 
  • Feel: TR500 feels softer than EZone 
  • Forgiveness:  TR500 > EZone 

TR500 on the left

IMG_4448.jpgIMG_4449.jpgIMG_4450.jpgIMG_4451.jpg

Lovely bag Noboru! The TR 500’s are so good looking. I had the ezone mb’s (Zodia) before and they are lovely too.

The PRGR 00 look sweet for sure and being Miura made,  I am certain that they feel heavenly too. 

The surprise with the TR500 in my first range session was that the balls flew straight or with a slight fade. 

My current gamers,  the '12 X-Blade GR Forged from 2012  are very easy to draw perhaps because of the additional offset. 

Perhaps the lack of offset wit the TR500 are straightening my shots.  but then again it might have been the DG S200 that affected the ball flight. 

My TR500 heads are now curing in the LZ 5.5 shafts.   I may take them out for a range session tomorrow after my men's club round in the morning.  

Great info nob. Thanks.

The TR500 is a stunning looking iron.

17 minutes ago, Ian-500 said:

Great info nob. Thanks.

17 minutes ago, Ian-500 said:

Great info nob. Thanks.

I was waiting Ian. Ilk with everything matching. I’m a sucker for making a bag of gear. I refuse to start on another one so seeing Nobs PRGR bag gives me great pleasure as I can live that bag though another’s eyes lol.

I get you!

A touch of offset never hurt anyone in the right place….

I just found with the P1 this is a good thing. If I want to play zero offset all I have to do is play open face fade. Offset or zero offset means Zero in small margins, in small margins of quality irons if you play the club for what it is. All you lose is distance by de lifting opening the face, not accuracy. 

Eye fit. Comfortable, hit, confident in the shot. 

they are all good….if they work for you then it’s just a different result in the mechanics of your set up. 

Edited by hutchy

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious how the PRGR bag and this build build is working for you.  What driver have you settled on?

Nobs maybe beceause  the  heads have been   flattened a smidge ?  , have  u  checked that ?,

i  only say that bec  i got a  used set a few  yrs ago  from my  pro  source guy that were 2* flat ,  he said  as most of the tr500s wud   have been bought  by  A grade+  players who dont like to hook ,  that stood to reason.  that set  i got were quite noticeably flat to the naked eye , too flat  for me, so i  had  them put back 1*   even that small  adjustment  made a discernable difference  to the eye at address. esp in  the  longer irons.  ( 3/pw) 

oh btw........, in case u get tired of those  NON JDM !!!!!!!!   shafts, may i WHOLESOMELY  reccommend   you try the old    NS  SP red...........................  and do those heads justice!!!!!!!!!

those shafts, are so ABSOLUTELY, positively  LIGHTS OUT!!!!!!!. 

im tempted to  re do  a bunch of  irons  with them and just play those going forwards, getting tired of muscling up  each game with the blues and  130s , 125s are still my go to   but i digress..,

RED are lightish,  115ish  g +/- with just the hint of workability with a mid balance, lower  kick  for an easier   higher flight  , and they play  strong for  a  light shaft .

why- o -why did NS stop making the  SP  range   !?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!

7 hours ago, cuistot said:

Just curious how the PRGR bag and this build build is working for you.  What driver have you settled on?

I've got two PRGR drivers that I can use with this set.   '16 Tour Issue RS and a RSF Proto Single Clover

I've shafted the '16  with a Tour AD PT High Mod 6S  and the RSF Single Clover with a Loop GK. 

5 Wood is RS5 with a Loop FW6TS ...

TR500 irons 4-PW 

Wedges 50 & 56 Cleveland RTX4 Forged (JDM) 

Gold's Factory T102 

Irons are shafted with Project X LZ 5.5 now but I don't think these are the shafts.   Will be tinkering further.  🙂

Edited by nobmontana

6 hours ago, supo said:

Nobs maybe beceause  the  heads have been   flattened a smidge ?  , have  u  checked that ?,

i  only say that bec  i got a  used set a few  yrs ago  from my  pro  source guy that were 2* flat ,  he said  as most of the tr500s wud   have been bought  by  A grade+  players who dont like to hook ,  that stood to reason.  that set  i got were quite noticeably flat to the naked eye , too flat  for me, so i  had  them put back 1*   even that small  adjustment  made a discernable difference  to the eye at address. esp in  the  longer irons.  (3/pw)

oh btw........, in case u get tired of those  NON JDM !!!!!!!!   shafts, may i WHOLESOMELY  reccommend   you try the old    NS  SP red...........................  and do those heads justice!!!!!!!!!

those shafts, are so ABSOLUTELY, positively  LIGHTS OUT!!!!!!!. 

im tempted to  re do  a bunch of  irons  with them and just play those going forwards, getting tired of muscling up  each game with the blues and  130s , 125s are still my go to   but i digress..,

RED are lightish,  115ish  g +/- with just the hint of workability with a mid balance, lower  kick  for an easier   higher flight  , and they play  strong for  a  light shaft .why- o -why did NS stop making the  SP  range   !?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!

I don't think the heads have been bent.   It's just the offset is so much less than what I have been playing lately.  Slight adjustment was needed in my swing.    With the GR forged I've been trying hard to not hit it left ....  that same swing with the TR translates to hitting it to the right.   When I go back to a more natural swing,  the TR500 draws just right for me.  So I am now rethinking about whether offset in irons helps me out or not.     Project X shafts work well for me based on a fitting I did 2 years ago.   With other shafts,  I was not getting enough back spin.   LZ gave me good back spin which helped me hit more straighter shots.    On the other hand,  I have a set of Monaco S sitting idle and I know how those work in TR500 since I've tried Cuistot's set a while ago which I believe came from you Supo.   Exquisite feeling combo that thing was!!

hahah yes they  prob did and they are a magnificent match  esp in summer months .

what ive found , is  heavier harsher shafts  seem to benefit  softer ENDO heads  like the tr500, EPON, IDBL   nabla tour.. ESPECIALLY   NABLA TOURS better than smoother shafts. im not  really sure why but i find it so.

shimada tour,, monacco,,Sp blue/orange/red.   modus 125s  DG! seem.. to have some play advanatge over  say modus 120s.

as for offset i get  what u mean theres not a lot of it.
ive put the tr500s next to the IDBL and the IDBL have less off set but are thicker, chunkier and a fuller punchier shot, the tr500s have just a milli  more but u can  notice it  and  the thinness of the blade and sole means u dont get the smidge   more ,  i  can hardly call it  forgiveness, but forgiveness of the IDBL extra chunk.

they are both not what id call  small compact heads , they  have  pretty big surface area heel to toe  but a crisped tr500 is a feeling something  quite addicitive indeed ,  quite a bit more workable as well.

actually.... just thinking  about it,  the TR500S  are  quite a bit  easier to  zing about if i want to , i  can get them to draw a lot easier than   the  idbls, quite a lot more.

i dont know about you but i call them cavity blades.   bec  they  have the essense and  play characteristits of blades   but with that incredible cavity  for just a hint more confidence at address with the fuller head size.

ive said it before,  IF  i was restricted to say 2 sets of irons ONLY, these wud be one set, and t he others.ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh good god i have no idea what they cud be.

epon aftour.

IDBL

masda  mb

yamah tours.................. ......,

heres a wee illustration of   3  heads with  very minimal off set.

from left:  tr500 /   IDBL /  yamaha tour.

THE 2  PRGRS  share  very similar head  dimensions  but the differences   to the eye make  a case to have both in play!  

they are actually not really a like at all to view or  play

i had a good look and yes the  IDBLS  have less  off set by a whisker  and  u can see it at address.

the yamahas are the most compact and chunky of the 3   and  i think are the most dynamic of the 3 sets by a whicker over the tr500s. prob.  bec the head is a bit smaller    IMO.

yea i dont think i  cud go past  these 3  sets for differnig conds.

id play the tr500s on fast dry turf, in  winter or short cropped buffalo.

the IDBLS  in the rain or wet lush  tropical conds 

the  yammy tours  in  just about everything.. funnily eough  nobs they are my current  fave play set  bec they have  your crazy  cb limited in them  and i will say , i dont think ive felt a nicer impact in a club.

once again MR WIZRD  the builder picked his mark 100% spot on  to go with the yams.

20211203_095326.jpg

20211203_100734.jpg

Edited by supo

I love the looks of all of those irons. Have played the Yamahas for 9 years and the IDBLs a bit. Much prefered the Yamahas though.

Although the TR500s have been my most played club of the  year  by a ways ,  when i started to play  the  yam tours   again , ive not got them out of the bag  , i  love looking down at that thicker head, a bit like the masda mbs  which were my  second most played irons ,  they too  have a thicker top line   prob  more so  than every other  MB ,  it inspires confidence in  my striking  by looking at  a thick top but ill reverse my thoughts on most dynamic  CB ,  i think the TR500s are  more  so than the yams , they are  more workable and easier to clip the ball to shape for my swing style.

I  played what  is most prob one of , if not my last game of the  winter season with the yams  on sat and with those carbon shafts ,  it made it so silky sweet in the cold   clear sunny skies  (  5*c) , the ground was frozen, the greens were  so hard the ball bounced  over the back  TOO MANY TIMES!!!  .

in general  the the ball was  not flying ,  close on  20 yards less  on t he drive  than normal  temps  ,i  cudnt get any flexability to my bod to  get the ball further so the extra soft feel  of the carbon made it so much nicer to hit   and no elbow stingers! 

I think i  cud have used  a bit more  help to cut the ball high and stop it more  which the TR500s do masterfully.

some may call these dilemas , first world problems.........,

Edited by supo

• 1 month later...

My TR500 just got SP Reds.  They feel really good.  The SP Reds give a sharper feel through impact compared to a Modus 120.   

I got Regular flex and they actually work well for me.   I don't feel the need for a Stiff.    

Update on my "mostly" PRGR bag....    RS5 fairway replaced with Epic Speed 4w.   Unfortunate but I enjoy hitting the Cally more. 

TR500 irons are very smooth and soft at impact.    May have to do a head to head against the GR Forged.   

TR500 I feel has a smaller sweet spot compared to the Tourstage GR Forged.  

I lose more distance with the TR when I miss the center compared to the GR. 

I need to go hunt down some PRGR Wedges. 

• 4W: Callaway Epic Speed  / Loop FW6TS
  • 4-PW: PRGR TR500 / NS Super Peening Red 
  • AW/SW: Cleveland RTX4 Forged / NS Super Peening Red
  • PT:  Gold's Factory T102 Prototype

Yes the LED definitely have my interest.   Getting harder to find, though. 

On 1/15/2022 at 9:14 AM, nobmontana said:
  • 4W: Callaway Epic Speed  / Loop FW6TS
  • 4-PW: PRGR TR500 / NS Super Peening Red 
  • AW/SW: Cleveland RTX4 Forged / NS Super Peening Red
  • PT:  Gold's Factory T102 Prototype

This has shaped up to be a good set up mate. Will this be the 2022 bag?