Driver or tee shot alternates .............

supo

Ive been building  again...

this time driver alts, new course i play demands WAY  waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay  more control than  distance, bomb gouge dont work here unless  i  fancy   goughing out of streams and  100 foot  drops  into the water table or bear traps .

no    thank     you.

course is only  a 6000 ish yard   snaking,  dogleggy  all carry  ,frustration bu oh so  beautiful  red pine laden  track so a driver isnt really what is best served on all but 4-5 holes ,  this thing  can be  MONSTER frustrating,   its about  " the greens "   and getting into  the good part of the green, if im errant on the drive its a 1/2>1.5 shot  drop  every time, no way theres a simply pop out nad get a par. if i hit , < 10/14 faiways here im toast  So it was time to  re emply and build  a few  accuracy/ distance clubs from the  tee.
heres what i came up with  and have reinstaed 
dug out a cpl of old faves as well, pherrrr time dont weary good quality!

the kasco fd 12.8* with  GD p9003x  and  diamana stinger  has been incredible its about 20 yards less than my driver (  when i get  it )  but i very  very rarely miss with this head , the fellas call it the aluminium bat, or the  jpn sasquatch, TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINK.. but where the ball goes is quite heartening. its   prob the best there is,    prob is.. the shafts  launch on the lower  sie   so  when i   need   height on certain holes   the alterantes to  " the "  alterante.................,

prgr egg  MFD  15* with matrix tp7hd proto in jet black, cadero  grip. just     this doent move it has no idea of the word " draw"  i think somoene cud  use it as a laser pointer for straightedness.  there is  no arc.  gamed  it on sat at a tourny track and was so impressed byt its lack of movement, it  just   toinks  dead straight  with a bit of tee height  adjustment i can get this over the tallest trees. its fantabulous that head,   and ive found is semi hittable  off the deck, not ideal but as long as theres some grass to hit down on,  its doable but not ideal.

fourteen ut 716  16*  di, this thing i have in 21* with a diamana  stinger in it and  for long par 3s is my go to, it  can and does get hit off the ground but its forte is from a tee, repalced the stock shaft ( which makes it much beter of deck) with the diamana and yea , best  off the tee , the head shape is for wood preference  palyers over iron shape,   its clearly longer than the honma tw ut 21*  which i think ill loose when im dead  but it max's out at 200  for me  so the  21*  ut gets me prob another 15 yards over the honma  , not enough to use from a tee of par4s  so,  in cometh  the 16* version with an NS 105s steel , this was all about arrowness  for short par 4s and that is what this is   lights out for ,  its LOW,, even teeing  it higher from a tee doesnt really  make it soar its a links buster, hit run of for a high tee hitting to low fairway   in the wind  so it wont balloon  , its excellent  BUT^  it  actually it feels toilet the steel and this head dont gowell for feel  but the perfomance does, i hate the feel love the results, but im laothe to fix what aint broke performance wise, i hit this  on links and its been  a godsend. 

royal collection  jp104 14* with diaman kaili 73s, oh my god  ths is without doubt the best feeling   fw ive ever hit. tiny pear shaped head,  at address it looks like i  can hit  anythign  in any direction at any height i  want ,its a wizard wand, the  view is one hting but the deliery is another, as a rule its like an arrow . not really hittable from the deck but from a tee where i want to shape  shots  this head is perfect, quite reminiscent of the cray fw head ,  short , compact, but with an elongate head as opposed to the crazy  fat face.  prob my fave wood of all woods.

callaway erc3 11* driver with GDpt6x   44.5 inch  the shaft  keeps the head honest, taught super electric feel in hands, pay with tee hieght for shot selection, i can tee it very low and get a really nice worm burner  stinger kind of drive or heigher than usual to get huge soaring bombs with back spin, its NOT about distance this thing, its about maxing carry and is my wet weather driver. quality build , parts are the top end,  adds a bit more varience thant the epon 101  but is euqally great feel. if its wet.................. this gets the bag.

onoff 10* type s with GD9003x 43.5 inch. yup a 43.5 inch driver with gripmaster leather for the wet. is it as good as the erc3 ?  no way but  it  gives a sense of  more comfort at address , again not about distance, its no slouch , its get there but its lot long, whenb i first built it i was mislead by the leenght of it ,  played a few on no wid days and its about the same as the kasco. bit more airtime on this and the swing weight at csomehting prob isnt ideal for me, but as long as i dont try nad kill it  its excellent, this is more for  shaping i can make this do anyhting , not my best feel club but for a reilable  tee club this is tough to top.

royal collection  cv  13* with diamana blue (new version)  cut to 4w  length . LOW. LOW LOWLOLWLOWLOW.. this is LOW its  almost  liek it  a gravity trap. and it will not move laterally what so  ever in  any  direction ...........ever. its 100% from a tee wud rather  try hit a 6*  driver from the   grass than this,   and  i need  to tee it low, and not when its wet, its a dry  grass ,wind beater  hit run a MILE, doenst eve nsee mto matter which way the wind goes its the same, quite amazing esp as its the the same legnth as  long driving iron, very specific  club but on tis day ill accdept so substitute, so one track  pony, i send it back  to use on links only. 

solid contacts 2w  12* with diamana X 70x/diaman stinger 70s , quality,, absolute quality.... for movement in the air both laterally and height, exact same distance as the kasco ,  complete opposite feel sound.  have been using this for centuries so it doesnt get  the  love it shud  nad deserves , its a bit longer than i need and gets into bunkers  more than the kasco  does. where as the kasco is a cpl of yard movement  laterallty this  gets more, much prefer this  head shape and is bascially max carry. if its wet id take this out , if its dry id  take the kasco ,  head shape is the ONLY  factor  on this vs the kasco.  i do prefer to play this 

cpl of snaps of my  faves......, 

20220530_155605.jpg

20220530_160326.jpg

20220530_153011.jpg

20220530_154756.jpg

20220530_154634.jpg

20220530_154441.jpg

20220530_154402.jpg

20220530_154813.jpg

20220530_155346.jpg

20220530_155428.jpg

Edited by ...

Nice collection. Your RC Made me go and get my Sonartec 15deg out from my stash, this was a mainstay in my bag for quite a few years, maybe should give a go again just for old time sake…..nothing but good memories from this club.

Put a Thump hy90 in the 716. I expect you'll have much better 'feel' over the steel shaft.

yea.., pondering what to do with is as the difference is enormous   with this head.
thump is  a great shaft,   got a 5w back homne with that its perfect , so  is the GD hy  as well..

yea  i gotta swap it over. 

what u reckon  about this,  ive got a diamaan blue 73s in   a 7w that is exactly the same  length  as the DI,  cud swap that in maybe ? 

Perhaps the head weight of the 716 might be too heavy, and I'd expect the tip on the blue fairway shaft to be little soft compared to the Thump hybrid shaft, and shaft weight difference is something like 20g+

• 4 weeks later...

very different clubs whish is why i  also didnt put the original egg spoon in here. both the egga and ryoma for my play are fairway  woods only.

the thougth of putting one of those on a tee and the possibility of skyhook , is immenent on every  tee  for me .

both the ryoma and egg ive  yet to best for  consistant distance form the  fairway and doubt i ever will.  but not for me  for a driver alt.

the ones above are much better suited   for me.

By the way Stew, Kamui Pro do/did a 12.5 in their TP-XF. Might be a good alternative off the tee, but it would seem very rare to find one......

ive not  seen the kamui pro 12.5*   but as u see with the new ones  u have , they are kind of o nthe sleeker  side than  full.  as soon as s isee a FW on a tee i think hook. so i need a big fat face.   like the RC s, they are so fgood...

the MFD is MILES bigger than the original  eggspoon there is no similarity what so ever.

the other one i beglected is the prgr nabla tour  form about 6 yrs ago, that thing is a hamme ras well. left that in oz for my links. love t hat head,

• 2 months later...

Fourteen ut 716  16*  with the  tour ad HY 75s

78g   3.1 torque .

yep............ this  one NOW  has the right stuff im after with  a bit more versatility ,   its  definitely higher than the NS105. esp from a tee ,infinitely better feeling  and  i can hit it off the deck ,   im not sure id make this a common  practice   but i did get   a ton of roll with t it after it landed,went further than my 7w , , its  def.   not as easy or versatile as a 7w  but  in wind , its a no brianer.

distance  i got form thsis verison  from the tee was pretty darn eye  opening, i used  it on my usual practice  course where the back nine is very short and i dont need a driver at all really.... so i  hit this on most par 4s, didnt   really miss  it tbh ,  found  it was about 30 +/-  yards short of my driver hit spot on,  ,  i teed from the white tees  with my buds and hit it to where i hit my driver off the blues , pretty much  to  the level.   

the new shaft is miles better  option than the steel, but i think  the steel sill has a place on links with a new  thicker  cadero  grip , its  just a tee alt now , the tour ad hy is  way way more of an allrounder  but gets the job done  from the tee  100% perfectly.

the last words  on the train form my buddy yesterday arvo  were.......... so what do u call  that  chubby  little  black club thing u were hititng  off the tee   again ,adn where do i get one  ? 

i can see  its future   on links. and the  21*  in most of my bags goifm forwards.

think its itme i put the honma  out to rest. i like the look of this style much better.............

• 1 month later...