new blades vs. old blades

dodge

Don't let the simplicity of blades fool you. The blades available today, especially those made by Tourstage, Mizuno, Titleist, and KZG among others are designed and tested using the latest in computer technology. The manufacturing processes, even though the art of forging is still very similair to what it used to be, is much more advanced and tightly controlled. For example, compare the look of the Mizuno MP-33 to the look of a Mid 60's blade; it is a much more streamlined, technologically advanced club.

Generally soles will be a smudge wider on new blades making them more forgiving. Also the new blades might have the sweet spots closer to the middle, older ones had it closer to the hosel/heel. But who knows haven't played blades for a year now.

I agree that the standards in manufacture are the key differences in modern versus old blades. Precise, consistent placement of the center of gravity in the clubhead allowing for different launch characteristics from set to set. I think the modern blades are also easier to hit.

Good examples are the Mizuno MP-33 and MP-37. Ever wonder how two heads so similar in appearance give two very different ball flights, as witnessed on this board?

Another difference I've found is the specifications of the clubs. The shafts on the old clubs were about .5 in shorter and lofts were 1-2 degrees weaker on older blades.

I would say that the cambered sole design of today is a positive. And todays blades have stronger lofts. Thanks to Callaway ... in the early 90 they said see how our 7 iron goes further. But there 7 iron had the specs of the others 6 iron. So now all followed suit.

And yes you want newer shafts and the extra 1/2". But I know many who swear that the older forgings are softer. I would not go past 1975 or so though. The first A. Blades are wonderful. Hogan repeated designs in the 90 from the 70s. The 90'- 93' VIPs from MacGregor....none are made with as much hand work as those were.

Early Mizunos are wonderful - MS3,5,7 all beautiful. Funny thing. Payne Stewart played Wilsons untill 92 or 94. Then he was payed to play some cb. He hated them but was stuck. After contract, played a 12 year old set of Mizunos, MS 4s, and he was back. Also, You cant get what the PROs play for the most part. Tigers Nikes are forged by Miura. Our Nikes are forged in China. But with Mizunos....you play what they play.

I am new to golf , love blades but see that everything is made cheaper and is CHEAPER. Quality is going out the window. Also, blades are coming back and the designs are as simple as ever. Hogans 56' 57' and 58' design is very similar to the new MP 37 . His sole was flat but the shape is very similar.

One last note. With all these improvements and shovel sized heads...why are handicaps still about the same ( excluding the distance offered by drivers.) Oh well, thats my opinion.

I would say that the cambered sole design of today is a positive. And todays blades have stronger lofts. Thanks to Callaway ... in the early 90 they said see how our 7 iron goes further. But there 7 iron had the specs of the others 6 iron. So now all followed suit.

And yes you want newer shafts and the extra 1/2". But I know many who swear that the older forgings are softer. I would not go past 1975 or so though. The first A. Blades are wonderful. Hogan repeated designs in the 90 from the 70s. The 90'- 93' VIPs from MacGregor....none are made with as much hand work as those were.

Early Mizunos are wonderful - MS3,5,7 all beautiful. Funny thing. Payne Stewart played Wilsons untill 92 or 94. Then he was payed to play some cb. He hated them but was stuck. After contract, played a 12 year old set of Mizunos, MS 4s, and he was back. Also, You cant get what the PROs play for the most part. Tigers Nikes are forged by Miura. Our Nikes are forged in China. But with Mizunos....you play what they play.

I am new to golf , love blades but see that everything is made cheaper and is CHEAPER. Quality is going out the window. Also, blades are coming back and the designs are as simple as ever. Hogans 56' 57' and 58' design is very similar to the new MP 37 . His sole was flat but the shape is very similar.

One last note. With all these improvements and shovel sized heads...why are handicaps still about the same ( excluding the distance offered by drivers.) Oh well, thats my opinion.

My theory in "the handicaps are still the same" argument. There are just more golfers, specifically more weekend golfers which equal to more hacks. In the late 80's/early 90's you could go out and hardly have any traffic on the courses, unless there were a couple of begginers in front of you. Now every hole there is a group on it an inevitably a group will catch another.

On the quality of the forgings I couldn't agree with you more. My Wilson Progressives which are circa '93 I think feel just as good as my RAC CBs with the same shafts. Which both feel better than my retail TM300s. That being said the sole of the 300s are more forgiving for the conditions I play in so they make the bag more often.