What Irons are these?

The stampings are similar to the TP-19 that Faldo used for some time, but the notch on the toe was not a design feature of that model. They are dead ringers for the TN-87 irons. I'd ask Joe Kwok to look at your pictures for confirmation, but I think they are the TN-87 forging with different stampings.

By the way, was there a model stamping on the hosel? I couldn't tell from the pictures.

If your friend wants to sell them, please let me know. My TP-19's were just stolen and I'm looking for a replacement.

yeah i used to have a set of these. they are pretty common here in ireland, i got mine for £100 back in the day!

an 909 is right...

these are not tp-9 or even tp19

tp 19 were played by faldo 10 years ago, but had a straight musce

tp-19_b.jpg

this set looks like a european version of the TN 87, thats true.

Mizuno also produced in europe a special edition set of irons called the TP 2000 that looked like this one.

These irons were really interesting. They had a ceramic layer on them instead of the chrome layer...

I have pic, I will try to post them...

Olive...

I went back to the 1997 Masters issue of Golf Classic and confirmed that the irons are the same design as those played by Frank Nobilo while he was under contract with Mizuno. Unfortunately, the description of the model is in Japanese. If anyone can translate, I could send them a scanned image (.pdf) of the page. I believe these are custom irons made using the style of the TN-87's and MP-29's as a base.

I remember Darren Clarke was playing a custom set of MP33's a couple of years ago. He described them in the February 2002 issue of Golf Digest as being specially ground to suit his eye. I noticed that the number stamping was the same as the irons we're discussing (http://www.golfdigest.com/equipment/mybag/...2clarkebag.html). The book Faldo: A Swing for Life has several clear photos of Nick's TP-19's, and the number stampings are not the "shadow" style of the retail version of the TP-19, rather, they are the solid style of custom Mizuno's.

Mizuno is the master of marketing. I just started collecting and love Mizunos. James @ Mizuno US knowes all. 1-800-966-1211. The irons are Tour Proven. Not TP 9 which is the same as MS 7 by the way. The TN 87 is the same as MP 29 and I think this TP may be the same or a MP 14 version. They forge the head then put names and #s on. They have the Japan, Euro and US markets so they simply mix things up a bit. The Tn p1 is sams as MP 9, There are 3 diff MS 5s and so on. About 500 diff. models since the 80s ...more than any other co. I believe. TPs were issued in Europe. IF THEY ARE STILL FOR SALE KEEP ME IN THE LOOP PLEASE.

I have a 1994 se of TN93's that came from a JPGA player. They say mizuno pro on the shaft band and in the cavity. They are a blade with a thin cavity that Mizuno built for Tommy Nakajima and released in limited quantities . They are probably the best irons I have ever had inc. MP 29'S, MP14'S, Z101'S ETC. Would any of you Mizuno experts out there have any more info on these TN93's.?

Hi ALL,

You guys are good !!! First of all thank you "tourspecgolf" for posting my iron pics and asking the question !!! I obtained this set about 6 months ago from a guy who said they were Frank Nobilo's irois but I had no idea if that was true. The set consists of 3-PW+FW+SW with True Temper S400 shafts in them - and I am looking to sell them !!!

Richard.