new set of irons miura vs. mizuno vs. x blade cb's??

Alifried2

I amlooking for a new set of irons .One thing I know is that I want to stay away from US irons I hated the rac os and the callaways bb .The irons I was mostly looking at are the miura mt 001 the tourstage 55 hm2 and mizuno mp 27.I f anyone can please advise on these or something else I should look at it would be greatly appreciated as I am not that familiar with foreign clubs.Also on the japan site the mts are $1500 and on us $1150 ? I am basically looking for a quality forgiving set of irons that will also help me improve my swing.The irons I used to play were the TM rac cb but were not forgiving enough.My main problem with those were that I needed more offset.But I am looking for something that will still feel soft like those as I loved the feel just couldn't hit them consistently.I am really desperate as I have sold my cb's and using old bb I hate the bulk so I am looking to buy fast.

I would say in terms of quality and feel Mizuno Japan is #1, Miura #2 and Gauge Designs #3 with the Gauge Jpn irons only one man does the hand ground edges unlike Tourstage's Taiwanese kids straight out of high school slamming 4000 sets a month. Due to the one professional hand grinder on the GD irons with years of experience the max out put for a month is 130-150 sets. Mizuno Japan is stunning also, If you ask a club builder who has had experience with the JPN versions they will tell you they are extremely easy to work on because of the consistency and head weights all exactly on specs.

Mizuno has its very own foundry

Gauge Jpn is forged in Himeji, Japan

Miura has its own Foundry

Tourstage is done by Endo in Thailand

If you have the budget for them, you might consider a custom set of forgings. Look up our good friend Ari of Scratch Golf. He'll set you up. I think that'd be the ultimate.

Where can I find info on clubs from japan they really seem to make better clubs. I was looking at the mizuno jp site and the clubs really looked awesome just need translation. Also how would the mizuno's compare to the miura's in forgiveness. I was looking at the mp 27 and some of the intage models from mizuno but I need translation. Also how does Ari from SG make custom forgings for everyone.

Where can I find info on clubs from japan they really seem to make better clubs. I was looking at the mizuno jp site and the clubs really looked awesome just need translation. Also how would the mizuno's compare to the miura's in forgiveness. I was looking at the mp 27 and some of the intage models from mizuno but I need translation. Also how does Ari from SG make custom forgings for everyone.

If you liked the Rac cbs beside what you have mentioned you should really try the TM 300's. You can pick up a mint set real cheap, and for about half of what you wanted to spend you can get a muria forged set. I am a huge fan... they are soft, forgiving and have a wonderful timeless straight forward design.

I really want to lust over other irons... I really do, however I have yet to find anything that looks as appealing as these. At address these things look more blade like than most blades, but without the requirements on your swing. I also think I have heard they have a touch more offset than the RAC cbs, but I have never compared them side-by-side myself.

If you want a WOW factor, remove the paintfill! If you want the rare wow factor go with the Box toes, also known as the Lehman grinds.

Here is a link to a thread where Ari explains the whole custom forgings bit.

There are also some pic's included . But be warned have something handy to wipe the drool off your chin :lol:

http://www.tourspecgolf.com/modules.php?na...iewtopic&t=5533

They look like great clubs from SG but they also look hard to hit. Basically I am looking for something with a liitle more forgiveness yet some thing that will also help me get better as I have stated before. For example I tried the titleist 804 os which I hit very well just hate the look and I don't really like the feel either, but my main problem with those are they won't get better with me. But man those SG's are some great looking clubs. Also wanted to know if miura NA is as good quality as miura japan. Another problem I have is I can't find the mizuno mp 27 anywhere for US, I know it's not for my market but not even online ???

Those MP-27s look soooooo sweet! FYI, I demoed a Miura Tournament Blade and a CB201 (US version of the 1005). I'm a 12 handi, and I loved the blade. The 201 felt like crap compared to it. I don't know why, but I didn't like it at all.

Of course, just as I'm in the market for new irons, I start killing my old Hogans :roll: Ain't it a b!tch?

Those MP-27s look soooooo sweet!  FYI, I demoed a Miura Tournament Blade and a CB201 (US version of the 1005).  I'm a 12 handi, and I loved the blade.  The 201 felt like crap compared to it.  I don't know why, but I didn't like it at all.

Hmmm...I have a combo set of Miura Tournament blades and CB201's and they feel identical. The look of the blades is better, but there is NO difference in the way they feel IMHO. I've had 3 friends hit both and they would agree...Everything compared to the Miuras with Nippon shafts feels like crap though! :lol:

Yeah, I know. It's weird. Maybe it's the different shafts (I used a TX-90 in the blade, then a Nippon in the 201). I loved the explosive feel of the TX-90, it was just too light.

The Nippon just feels rubbery to me. Don't ask me why. Different strokes for different folks. I have a near new 52° Miura wedge that I'm not even using right now b/c I don't like the Nippon. I want to like it sooooo bad, but when it's in the bag, it costs me strokes :cry:

My local clubmaker just picked up the Miura line. I hit both the blade and the cavity inside. Both felt great - I just wish they were less than $1M.

My local clubmaker just picked up the Miura line.  I hit both the blade and the cavity inside.  Both felt great - I just wish they were less than $1M.

'Ya get what you pay for! :D The Nippon shafts play soft to flex. I have a set of 1050's X's that I hard stepped and they feel awesome, but they don't feel like hardstepped X's. Hands down the best feeling/performing shafts out there. Nothing even close and I've had everything from DG to Rifles to PX's....

I have basically narrowed it down to the miura mt 001 ,mizuno mp 27 ,gauge design cb's(if I can find them anywhere ,even just to look at) ,and x blade cb's. I was also looking at the mizuno intage line if someone can fill me in on those as I have found nothing on them. So if anyone can just give me a reason to pick one over the other it would be greatly appreciated. Ideally I would have a more forgiving TM rac cb. So if any of the 4 I mentioned match that please let me know!!

Hi Tourspecgolfer Chris,

Why would Tourstage forge the heads in Thailand and then send them to Taiwan to have Taiwanese highschool kids grind them? Wouldn't it be cheaper to have Thai kids grind them? Labor in cheaper in Thailand compared to Taiwan!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend who works in OEM manufactor of Bridgestone in Taiwan. I never hear about "hight school" student work there. Moreover, "high school" kids in Taiwan are always busy with the exams for getting into the University. I don't think they can work; especially their parents won't allow their kids to work. Studying for high school kids is the most important thing in Taiwan. So......maybe in China......!! Actually, many OEM manufactors in China is developed by Taiwanese who also have manufactors in Taiwan. They made cheaper clubs in China, expensive clubs in Taiwan(Becuase of the labors ability). The other information, the NIKE golf equipments is made by bridgestone in Taiwan. In fact, most of brand you know are made in Taiwan or China (Including Mizuno....some Japanese brands). Some of these OEM manufactors become ODM manufactors. They not only making clubs but also design new clubs. For example, the callaway fusion, Nike new driver....!!!

I have a Combo set of Miuras for sale on B/S/T.

They are MT101(3-5) & CB201's(6-PW).

I paid $1150 w/Nippon 850s.

Only hit the 5 & 7 iron on the range.

Open to offers! Thank you

I have a friend who works in OEM manufactor of Bridgestone in Taiwan.  I never hear about "hight school" student work there.  Moreover, "high school" kids in Taiwan are always busy with the exams for getting into the University.  I don't think they can work; especially their parents won't allow their kids to work.  Studying for high school kids is the most important thing in Taiwan.  So......maybe in China......!!   Actually, many OEM manufactors in China is developed by Taiwanese who also have manufactors in Taiwan.  They made cheaper clubs in China, expensive clubs in Taiwan(Becuase of the labors ability).  The other information, the NIKE golf equipments is made by bridgestone in Taiwan.  In fact, most of brand you know are made in Taiwan or China (Including Mizuno....some Japanese brands).  Some of these OEM manufactors become ODM manufactors.  They not only making clubs but also design new clubs.  For example, the callaway fusion, Nike new driver....!!!

This is what it boils down to:

Mass produced most often = less attention to detail which leads to overall lower quality. When I said high school kids let me rephrase that to kids straight out of high school. Similar to club builders in the states there are the Young Cut and paste and the retiree cut and paste that are good examples of club builders who no where near have the talent or knowledge of professional club builder that has done this as a career. When you make 4000 sets of irons in a month and each one needs to have hand ground edges thats no good because dozens of different hands are doing the work. 1 man can do about 200 sets a month alone so imagine 4000. we all know Endo is in Taiwan etc etc but only some of the goods are by bridgestone for Nike. Nike has over a dozen companies doing work for them and so does Tourstage. Endo does many different companies work and your correct that most Japanese brands are made in Taiwan or China due to labor costs. What I am trying say get here is that Japan has tight quality assurance when compared to the U.S, Yes! but If I'm gonna dump 1200- 1400.00 on a set of Irons I want it to be made by Career club maker instead of hourly employees at a huge factory trying to meet a quota. A good example is several years ago when mizuno started having clubs made in Cambodia, for the first couple of years everything was messed up weights, etc. but now that the factory employees are trained things are back up their high standards. If your looking for clubs made, forged, and assembled in Japan here are the ones I know off the top of my head:

- Gauge Designs Japan

- PRGR ( owned by Yokohama Tire Co.)

- Hiro Honma

- Hiro Matsumoto

Any that I'm missing?

I'm sorry but I get Thailand and Taiwan mixed up all the time, Endo is located in Thailand.

Where does mizuno stand compared to the other 4 you mentioned??

Mizuno is great especially Mizuno Japan. This makes me wonder why because they are both forged in the same factory but what I have heard from club builders is the Mizuno Japan clubs are always closer to specs and much easier to install and work with over the U.S mizuno. I really like Mizuno forgings in fact i like them better than Endo forgings. nice stuff lots of class and just overall great .