I would just like to broadcast to everyone that I love my computer.

I got it a few months ago, so I've had some time to explore it. And let me tell you Apple puts together a hell of a computer from OS to hardware.

I was realy nervous about making the swith but I figured I could always fall back on my desktop. Well I have now offically given my desktop to my parents. I rely almost solely on my Powerbook. I ony say almost b/c I use the lab computers for Matlab since I have yet to find a similar product for Apple... not that I would pay for it if I did find it, but anyhow...

Other than the Matlab thing I have yet to run into a "Mac" problem. It never crashes and since Apple holds thier developers to high standards programs are always efficient. The funny thing is M$ Office for Mac is better than Office Xp, and they even have Office X coming out (or it might be out) but from what I have seen it will be nothing short of wonderful. It just doesn't make sense for M$ to make the software better for another OS... you think they would particularly sand bag it.

Its really funny all my fellow students and professors... engineering people... are always asking me all kind of questions, asking to tool around on it. One of my professors cornered me for an hour, asked me all sorts of stuff, took it for a test drive and what do you know the next day he walks in with a 17" powerbook. He said he had been interested in one for a while. What got him interested is apparently Apple is making a huge effort to become the computer of choice for science people. He has the school buying him a dual G5 to do 3D gas shock analysis, apparently the Apple does this better than the "super computer" in the lab.

Its wonderful not having to worry about spyware and virus'. I mean I am safe, I use an anti virus and all but its not real necessary. There was a worm that came out that attacked Mac users but within a day Apple released a security patch to fix it.

People always say they like windows for its flexiblity. I have found nothing that I could do on my PC that I can't do on my apple.

So to anyone in the market for a new computer I suggest checking out an Apple.

Damn if I had it all to do over again I'd have stuck with an apple. I got tired of not having anything cool to do on it (this was back when napster was huge). Apple sure as s**t knows how to build a solid machine.

yeah that is the one thing I imagine finding Mac downloads might be hard... I really haven't tried... I go to college so I get music from the network... but I don't really do that too much b/c I like really high quality sound. You watch one day cd players will be like record players... and watch out for Laser Disc making a come back with the trendy niche.

pete , there is some free siftware that will let you download music with a Mac . It is called limewire , if I can find where you can download it from I will post it here .

Also don't forget that Apple does have iMusic which is a pay service for music downloads . Don't know what they charge bit it isn't much from what I here .99 a song .

If I ever get cable internet where I live that is one of the first things I will be looking into .

pete , there is some free siftware that will let you download music with a Mac . It is called limewire , if I can find where you can download it from I will post it here .

Also don't forget that Apple does have iMusic which is a pay service for music downloads . Don't know what they charge bit it isn't much from what I here .99 a song .

If I ever get cable internet where I live that is one of the first things I will be looking into .

yeah there pay service is called Itunes, it is integrated into thier music jukebox software of the same name.

With Itunes you can see everyone's music collection on your network that uses Itunes. You can even stream it, however you can't download it. Well that is you can't unless you get yourself a handy program called getTunes that will download songs from others collections at network speed. Its nice b/c you know exactly what you are getting format and sample rate wise. Its also fast as lighting. I downloaded about 3 gigs during a lab once!

yeah there pay service is called Itunes, it is integrated into thier music jukebox software of the same name.

With Itunes you can see everyone's music collection on your network that uses Itunes. You can even stream it, however you can't download it. Well that is you can't unless you get yourself a handy program called getTunes that will download songs from others collections at network speed. Its nice b/c you know exactly what you are getting format and sample rate wise. Its also fast as lighting. I downloaded about 3 gigs during a lab once!

pete that is basically what limewire does . Plus you can down load a ton of movies if you have a fast enough connection :whistle: I will let you find out what kind of movies they are though :laugh:

• 1 month later...

There are no comparisons to a Mac. Sleekest, most solid, best looking, most stable, most updateable, machine you can buy. Sure there are those who will argue that similarly spec'd PCs will cost you less but factor in loss of productivity in trying to get them to work properly and Macs are friggin cheap! :cool:

Office 2004 is awesome - many more features than I'd ever discover - and more advanced than the Windows version! Plus with a small investment in Virtual PC, you can run like a PC too - although why would anyone want to??

I'm on a G4 Powerbook 17"...can't wait for the G5 :laugh:

Same here, MAC all the way. We've gone through so many Powerbook's here I cant keep count, its just the best asthetics and design engeneering ever, runs the most stable platform ever. Then add all the free iAPPS and there is no question MAC is better. Then like you guys said the new Office 2004 is great, much better than the new Office release for PC. ALong with all the programs...etc that run and render so much quicker with the PowerPC processor. :cool: